Author Topic: BSA  (Read 17278 times)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: December 05, 2021, 01:45:47 pm
BHP measured at the crank is the standard all manufacturers have used for as long as I can remember.

I seem to remember a few manufacturers that didn't (Harley maybe?) and the crank figures became standard when Japan began to dominate the market. At the moment I can't find anything doing a search to substantiate that. Once tested by the press and put on a dyno the real numbers come out anyway. I've always seen figures measured at the crankshaft to be a deceiving practice to benefit sales.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #31 on: December 05, 2021, 04:07:00 pm
The DB34 numbers & the new Gold Star model power to weight numbers are within 5%. The new GS has room for improvement & still remain streetable & user friendly, just like the KLR650. The KLR bone stock makes 48 HP with room to grow to near 60, no reason to assume another similar modern engine won't make similar numbers. I don't understand why everyone's hair is on fire, it's a new clean sheet design from a company that hasn't made a new machine in over 50 years, rather like the Royal Enfield Interceptor was. Let the new Gold Star live or die on it's own merit. Nobody sane is going to whittle out from the solid a carbon copy of a DB34 in AD 2022 and sell it for $7000. That user base doesn't exist any more, new riders are unwilling to make that kind of effort. It's essentially an improved GB500, we'll see how the market responds.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/BSA/BSA%20DBD34%20GS.htm
DB34 Bore & Stroke = 85 x 88 ; HP = 42 @ 7000 RPM ;
Wet Weight: DB34 - 420 pounds, New GS - 470
Power to weight, stock:
DB34 = 42/420=0.100 HP/pound
New GS = 45/470 0.095 HP/pound
Estimated new GS weight after removal of lead exhaust, ES, support battery = 440 pounds
Estimated HP new GS after EFI re-tune = 50
50/440 = 0.113 HP/pound

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: December 05, 2021, 06:47:14 pm
@ #21: " All the gimmicks are meaningless if it's a 90ish stroke and won't  be good to rev much further than 6000 revs. "
That's likely news to Ace & BW. The DB34 stroke was 88mm, within about 2% of the Bullet's 90mm stroke. Specs show 42 HP @ 7000 RPM. RPM is a function of crank/rod/piston inertial loading and valve train stiffness. Do you seriously want to argue that a DOHC 4 valve motor won't rev higher that a 2 valve pushrod motor?

Kawasaki set the KLR650 bore/stroke at 100mm x 83mm, dyno testing yields stock max power to the rear wheel (41.7) at 7100 RPM. Those numbers look familiar? At 100x83, it's likely the counterbalanced KLR could reliably run to 8500-9000, fragging speeds for the DB34 to live at.  Modern clean-sheet motors have 100 years of history to benefit from, better metallurgy, better design for extracting max power for a given displacement. Stock retail hardware always has some slack built in. Look at the basic 650 Enfield twin now being bumped to 850cc; they don't turn into grenades. Likely the new BSA has some wiggle room for modding too. There are members of the 650 forum spending amazing amounts to increase the performance of their 650's, it's all good fun - cheaper than going to the bar. Some folks here even mod their GT535's...To paraphrase a long time contributor "I just love these f***tards that come out and say it can't be done".

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_klr650%2006.htm
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 06:51:15 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #33 on: December 05, 2021, 07:20:29 pm
@ #21: " All the gimmicks are meaningless if it's a 90ish stroke and won't  be good to rev much further than 6000 revs. "
That's likely news to Ace & BW. The DB34 stroke was 88mm, within about 2% of the Bullet's 90mm stroke. Specs show 42 HP @ 7000 RPM. RPM is a function of crank/rod/piston inertial loading and valve train stiffness. Do you seriously want to argue that a DOHC 4 valve motor won't rev higher that a 2 valve pushrod motor?

Kawasaki set the KLR650 bore/stroke at 100mm x 83mm, dyno testing yields stock max power to the rear wheel (41.7) at 7100 RPM. Those numbers look familiar? At 100x83, it's likely the counterbalanced KLR could reliably run to 8500-9000, fragging speeds for the DB34 to live at.  Modern clean-sheet motors have 100 years of history to benefit from, better metallurgy, better design for extracting max power for a given displacement. Stock retail hardware always has some slack built in. Look at the basic 650 Enfield twin now being bumped to 850cc; they don't turn into grenades. Likely the new BSA has some wiggle room for modding too. There are members of the 650 forum spending amazing amounts to increase the performance of their 650's. it's all good fun - cheaper than going to the bar. Some folks here even mod their GT535's...To paraphrase a long time contributor "I just love these f***tards that come out and say it can't be done".

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_klr650%2006.htm

It can be done, you just need to find someone willing to pay for it. No it's not going to be cheaper than going to the bar, unless they charge you 3000$ fine at the bar for not being vaxxed as they plan to do in Austria. However i doubt the Austrian government is going to send that cash to anyone who is interested in tuning their bikes. And it's going to be exponentially more expensive than tuning an air cooled pushrod single.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 05, 2021, 08:28:18 pm
" And it's going to be exponentially more expensive than tuning an air cooled pushrod single. "

Viczena would likely have something to say on that. His point that tuning an EFI system for greater than stock performance is easily done by those that know is indisputable. For a design that started as pure EFI, like the new Gold Star, it's probably going to be a cakewalk for those that educate themselves and have proper interface 'ware. That will be the future.

It you insist on adapting a carb & puzzling out the ignition kinks things likely will get dicey real fast, but that would definitely be a self-imposed obstacle. Hitchcock's has kindly removed the obstacles for those carb-obsessed Luddites amongst us for The UCE & Himalayan, but unless they dip their toes into BSA's wading pool, it's "cut-'n-try" time for future Gold Star owners that want to "retrofy" the new 'Star.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 05, 2021, 10:09:46 pm
I assume that the new Gold Star will not suffer from "megaphoneitis" and used racing carbs that had no idle circuit as did many highly-tuned British singles of the 1950's and 1960's.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: December 05, 2021, 11:46:40 pm
It's a mildly tuned, modern engine design machine the average rider can deal with. They specifically state that it's set up for greater midrange, likely why it's just shy of the KLR numbers. The EFI lets it start with the electric leg every time, regardless of if you are at the beach or at the Pike's Peak Burger Hut. They also state up front that more ponies are available, and that there will be two initial versions, about $2K different. Likely the $9K version has 8-12 HP more. We're in Viczena's world now with the BSA, and all the other wonder-boys that have figured out EFI tuning arcania. EFI is wonderful stuff, but to be able to play in the sandbox you'll need tools & training.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #37 on: December 06, 2021, 11:36:54 am
How exactly do you expect the efi to increase the power output in any meaningful way? The only real world advantages to efi is that it saves a meaningless amount of fuel and is more precise to keep tha stoichiometric ratio under all conditions which is a prerequisite for the cataclist to do a somewhat meaninful job.

You want more power, you have to dig into the engine layout, unless they placed some orifice in the intake to detune the engine that can be easily removed (tuning for the vaxxinated) it's going to be a mechanical adventure to tune it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 11:45:17 am by derottone »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: December 06, 2021, 02:07:04 pm
How exactly do you expect the efi to increase the power output in any meaningful way? The only real world advantages to efi is that it saves a meaningless amount of fuel and is more precise to keep tha stoichiometric ratio under all conditions which is a prerequisite for the cataclist to do a somewhat meaninful job.

You want more power, you have to dig into the engine layout, unless they placed some orifice in the intake to detune the engine that can be easily removed (tuning for the vaxxinated) it's going to be a mechanical adventure to tune it.

What most owners of the Gold Star will likely do to increase HP will probably be to replace the (likely one piece) Euro 5-approved exhaust system with a megaphone system, followed by a K&N fabric filter, or if they are really old school, just replace the entire air filtering system with a piece of open drain pipe. Then it will really sound like it is making power.  ::)

Which brings up my morning rant: During breakfast yesterday morning at Alice's Restaurant, there were some really loud sport cars. I saw one that looked to be a 5-year old BMW and some others that I could not identify. You could literally hear these things coming from over a mile away and when they arrived everyone in the restaurant had to stop talking because they couldn't hear themselves think.  How they get these cars to pass the state's every other year emission system inspection is beyond me. Once they arrived at the parking lot one of the drivers sat there and revved his engine for a couple of minutes before driving off in a cloud of noise.

During the three hours that I was at the restaurant I didn't hear one motorcycle that made enough noise to be noticeable.  :)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #39 on: December 06, 2021, 02:53:45 pm
 ;D... :o ???

https://youtu.be/Z6qnRS36EgE

...maybe with so much masking up, they've got to release some smoke somewhere.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: December 06, 2021, 02:54:16 pm
TheMissendenFlyer takes a look at the new BSA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfMS-S4_G6c

johnakay

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: December 06, 2021, 03:25:51 pm
I wonder if BSA will bring out a 350 fury

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: December 06, 2021, 04:16:05 pm

Good question, I wanted one badly back in the day. Fortunately the local BSA dealer was a pretty straight shooter and wouldn't take a deposit until BSA would confirm that they were ready to be shipped, which obviously they never were. FWIW he eventually became a Yamaha dealer and did fairly well.  ;D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: December 06, 2021, 04:16:06 pm

I hope not. I had put a $500 deposit down on one of those 350 Furys at my local BSA dealer (located only 3 miles away) after reading a glowing road test of the bike in the Cycle Guide magazine, and seeing the bike in the attached 1971 BSA brochure. Well, you know how that motorcycle purchase plan ended.  ::)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: December 06, 2021, 05:16:44 pm
I hope not. I had put a $500 deposit down on one of those 350 Furys at my local BSA dealer (located only 3 miles away) after reading a glowing road test of the bike in the Cycle Guide magazine, and seeing the bike in the attached 1971 BSA brochure. Well, you know how that motorcycle purchase plan ended.  ::)

I hope you at least got your deposit back.  ;)