Author Topic: E-Bike developments  (Read 109180 times)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #990 on: December 09, 2022, 08:37:38 am
This and a 20mph speed limit might be more to your liking.  ;) ;D

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #991 on: December 09, 2022, 04:50:33 pm
I'm guessing it took a lot of polishing to get that picture.

I'm also guessing that you don't ride around in the summer in flip-flops, shorts, a "Rock-Store" Tee-shirt, mirrored sunglasses and "Skulls 'n Flames" bandanna.

The roads locally are very twisty, and my 350 is perfect for conditions at hand. Speed limit for me is seasonal. In Fall the leaves form a nice damp teflon-like layer on the road that doesn't really care about tire compound or pressure. Spring has a thin layer of muddy fine sand producing much the effect. Both these seasons are accompanied by random deer, tourists, fallen branches, etc. Speed is generally determined by required braking distances.

Summer has the best road conditions, dry & grippy, but there's still animals, tourists and the occasional piece of furniture from a hasty move. There are a few straights where I can "Open 'er up" to 50-55 or so, but that's not really the 350 Bullet's forte. My 500 is better for summer highway use, running 55-60 easily.

None of my machines have the HP and accompanying speed that your breathed-on GT535 has. Those speeds and wind blast don't hold much appeal for me anymore. There's too much to see, smell & hear at 20 - 35 MPH in my mountain twisties. A helmet, stout pants, long sleeve shirt & sturdy shoes generally suffice.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #992 on: December 09, 2022, 05:40:39 pm
My riding won't differ much of yours with the occasional ton on a sunny happy day. Just before the COVID outbreak in 2019 though was the year when that pictured HD would have been the best to own.  ;)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #993 on: December 09, 2022, 11:54:13 pm
Per Pale Argent  and Sable with Argent shield impaled on Sable. Doubt that is real Heraldry.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #994 on: December 13, 2022, 02:42:49 pm
And here is the "exciting" "semi-autonomous" Cake Kibb. Hopefully it won't run amok and run over you.  Knowing Cake's other products though, I bet it won't be cheap:  https://thepack.news/kibb-the-road-to-regenerative-and-autonomous-agriculture-designed-by-cake/
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #995 on: December 13, 2022, 06:12:47 pm
Perfect for the California celebrity vineyard owners saving the Urth and promugating their fame. A $100K quad surrounded by minimum wage illegal agriculture workers. Certainly it'll never need maintenance, reprogramming/rebooting/remapping by a well-paid Silicon Valley tech via cell phone, or be hacked by competing vintners to cause carnage. Didn't we see these in "Rollerball" or "Soylent Green"?  ::)
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #996 on: December 13, 2022, 06:32:37 pm
The Sweds are experts, some smaller bank may need a bailout though soon.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #997 on: December 13, 2022, 10:24:57 pm
 ;D

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #998 on: December 14, 2022, 10:12:14 pm
;D

You got to acknowledge though how much effort and dedication some of the Nordic startups put in their products.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #999 on: December 14, 2022, 10:28:09 pm
You got to acknowledge though how much effort and dedication some of the Nordic startups put in their products.

There is that. But you sure do pay for it.   ::)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1000 on: December 14, 2022, 10:46:07 pm
There is that. But you sure do pay for it.   ::)

...not sure, they're clever salesmen, maybe they succeed to sell some of it to the chinese cities. The bikes have potential.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 10:48:55 pm by derottone »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1001 on: December 16, 2022, 02:14:21 pm
Cake/Polestar introduces the limited Makka electric moped, a very minimalist design that will not travel very far or very fast and was likely not styled by an Italian  ;) : https://thepack.news/polestar-releases-a-new-limited-edition-of-cake-makka-electric-moped/

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1002 on: December 16, 2022, 02:43:06 pm
This is an interesting discussion regarding the three major freeway-capable electric motorcycle companies and their business activities that I copied from a post on the Electric Motorcycle Forum. Just don't ask me what a SPAC is or what the STACYC brand of balance bikes are as I never heard of either term:

Livewire: The first company is obviously Livewire (LVWR). Harley Davidson spun its Liveware division into a SPAC earlier this year. Livewire sells full-sized motorcycles under its own brand and the STACYC brand of balance bikes. In fact, Livewire generates three times as much revenue from STACYC bikes as Livewire bikes.

Livewire’s full-sized bikes are produced under a contract manufacturing agreement with Harley Davidson, which makes them at the big plant in York, PA. Livewire makes STACYC bikes through assemblers in Taiwan.

Livewire’s gross margins hover around zero, so after operating expenses the company is losing a ton of money. On the other hand, Livewire has bucketfuls of cash after the SPAC merger.

Livewire is the only “pure play” exposure to the EV sector, though as noted most of that exposure is mostly to the sub-highway bike segment of the market.

Since Harley retains a near-90% ownership of Livewire, you can get indirect exposure to Livewire through Harley Davidson (HOG), though the investment is a tiny fraction of HOG’s total value.

Energica: After a tender offer in Italy earlier this year, around 70% of Energica is owned by publicly-traded Ideanomics (IDEX). Energica makes only the Energica motorcycles, though it is working on adapting its technology to other applications like boats and tractors and was thinking about entering the smaller-bike market. The other 30 or so percent of Energica is owned by Livia Cevolini, her family, and early investors.

Financial information on Energica is more difficult to get than it is for Livewire and that will continue as Ideanomics will probably not give detailed results on the company. Prior to the merger, Energica had a similar profit story as Livewire: Gross margins near zero, and the company producing losses as a result. For the nine months to September 30, Energica had revenues of $8.8 mm and a loss, also of $8.8 mm. Unlike Livewire, Energica manufactures its own bikes and many of the components.

Energica’s new parent company, Ideanomics, seeks to become a conglomerate of EV and related businesses.  After investing heavily in the China EV market (and losing all of it), Ideanomics is now comprised primarily of a company that retrofits vehicles to hydrogen fuel cells or battery electric called US Hybrid, an electric tractor company called Solectrac, and WAVE, which is developing wireless charging for large trucks. Energica is another part of the conglomerate, though it has a separate shareholder agreement and management structure.

All of Ideanomics’ businesses operate at a loss (including a couple of unrelated businesses like a title-search company), and the loss for the nine months was more than $100 mm.  Ideanomics is also liquidity-constrained and faces substantial dilution in the near future. After various writedowns and considering the stock price, the Energica investment makes up the majority of the company’s value, though how much of that value accrues to common shareholders is a fair question.

Zero: Zero motorcycles is private. But in its most recently announced round of funding, Zero disclosed that two public companies had invested. Polaris (PII) and Hero Motorcorp (On India’s national stock exchange) both participated in the round. Zero did not disclose how much each invested, but the entire round was only $107 mm, so the amounts are small in comparison to the companies that made the commitment.

Because it is private, there is little known about Zero's financials other than the company has delivered approximately 20,000 bikes since its inception.

Polaris owns the Indian and defunct Victory motorcycle brands and purchased the electric motorcycle assets of Brammo when that blew up, briefly producing the Victory Empulse.

Hero Motorcorp is among the largest manufacturers of two-wheeled vehicles in the world, focusing on scoots and smaller motorcycles. It just launched its first Electric scoot under its Vita brand.   

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #1003 on: December 16, 2022, 04:05:29 pm
This is an interesting discussion regarding the three major freeway-capable electric motorcycle companies and their business activities that I copied from a post on the Electric Motorcycle Forum. Just don't ask me what a SPAC is or what the STACYC brand of balance bikes are as I never heard of either term:
SPAC
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/spac.asp
Less stringent form of raising money.
STACYC
Money incinerator.  ;)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1004 on: December 16, 2022, 04:14:42 pm
STACYC = electric trainer bikes for kids that they will grow out of in less than a month. Suited to parents with excess money.