Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today?  (Read 278633 times)

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1755 on: November 24, 2022, 06:05:05 pm
Awesome… I wish I could thumbs up or like posts….
👍🏻
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1756 on: November 24, 2022, 07:49:23 pm
👍🏻

I don’t like using emojis, I just want a like button under the post
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7l qd2
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing
1997 XR250r 310cc big bore kit, custom ground cam. Big valve kit. Torque monster

All about anything fast enough to do something stupid with.

Happiness is not around the corner, happiness is the corner

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1757 on: November 29, 2022, 10:56:20 pm
Valve clearance adjustment.   Not so bad a job after you've done it a few times.

Three of the valves were just a "hair" out of spec.

I put the gasket in place without using any adhesive or grease or goop of any kind.

Trick is to kinda get the rear part of the gasket into the groove, then get two of the hold down bolts started, but loose.  This keeps the cover from sliding around, and allows you to "chase" the gasket around and get it into the groove!

Took the opportunity to sand and polish the rocker cover.  It had become tarnished from last winter.  Didn't do a complete "mirror" polish job, as I have a short attention span....but got it shinier than original and all of the corrosion sanded out of it.

Cookie

YRREJ

• Scooter
Reply #1758 on: November 30, 2022, 09:35:19 pm
...When you install the "long tail" or original loop back on it now isn't parallel with the original frame tube line and has a droopy tail look. ... turn them on a lathe for the correct fit and weld them in place.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, a lathe and weld would be ideal but not something I have (yet.)  :D As for the droopy look... it doesn't droop, it's perfectly parallel with the original frame, straight and tight. It may be the cowl in the photo that that angles up and away from the frame giving the illusion that it's droops.

YRREJ

• Scooter
Reply #1759 on: November 30, 2022, 09:39:49 pm
Wow, thats sophisticated. No noise, rattles, and it's stable?

Thanks - so far no issues, fits nice and tight without any noise or rattle.

YRREJ

• Scooter
Reply #1760 on: November 30, 2022, 09:47:45 pm
Ps, tubeless tyre conversion is also excellent - keep em coming!

https://youtu.be/7dTebUBmmdo

Thanks, I appreciate it! My first time ever working on a motorcycle so I'm just figuring things out as I go. YouTube is where I've been learning everything so I thought I'd share my attempts. Any mistakes I make will be pointed out by someone in the comments so that will help the next person  ;D

Knacker

• Bulleteer
Reply #1761 on: December 14, 2022, 06:14:40 am
At work I adopted a Brazilian made machine that had been abused and left unused for a long time. Nursed it back to health, now produce with it. When I do, I put on Bossa Nova to make it feel appreciated, and because it makes me happy.

Tonight, for the same reasons I stopped and got vindaloo and some na'an.

Then I tore the cover off my Deluxe Touring seat, mercilessly violated its foam, inserted 20mm of green Jello and buttoned it back up.

The project looks successful, not difficult really at all. Just a little tedious and requires you to rip into something you'd rather not damage.

Sadly it's winter here and I won't get to try it out on any 10 hour rides for a long while.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1762 on: December 15, 2022, 02:32:16 pm
Cold weather riding....Installed some handle bar "muffs".

Not the $180 "Hippo Hands"...no, just the Chinese, Amazon, cheep-ass knock-offs....for 1/10 the price.

I've been riding with Gerbing heated jacket liner and heated gloves.   The jacket liner is super warm....but the gloves don't do the job below about 40F   (5C).

I try to ride when it is down to 1 or 2 C.....

So to install the muffs was a problem because of the bar end mirrors....I just got out my wood bruning tip for the soldering iron and burned a small hole through the side of the muffs.  Removed the mirrors, install the muffs, then re installed the mirrors.

Havent riden with them as it is well below 0C today with snow coming..

Cookie

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1763 on: December 16, 2022, 03:46:19 am
sweet. i've given up on cold weather riding. used to ride through snow when i could. had a slight accident when i couldnt stop on a red light (it was on a slushy snow covered hill going down) and literally slid through the intersection and toppled over. decided it wasnt worth it after that haha!!

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1764 on: December 16, 2022, 12:26:43 pm
Yeah....one of my favorite sayings: "sometimes you just have to come to grips with the stark reality of the situation"'

Any chance of snow or ice on the road, or below 0 degree C....I take the car...

Winter definitely came here yesterday....long range forecast is for below freezing for every day into the near future...oh well.

There is usually a day here and there when the temperatures go abnormally high, through the Winter...those cheap mufsf may work...otherwise I'm out only $18...worth a try!

Cookie

sweet. I've given up on cold weather riding. used to ride through snow when i could. had a slight accident when i couldn't stop on a red light (it was on a slushy snow covered hill going down) and literally slid through the intersection and toppled over. decided it wasn't worth it after that haha!!

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1766 on: December 19, 2022, 12:32:33 am
I have (arguable) "the best" heated gloves out there....

They don't work much at 35 F !!!!

The air flow just takes all the heat away!

Those wind deflectors seem like they might do the trick, along with heated gloves...kinda pricy!  but if they work who cares?

I'm not sure I could use the bar end mirrors with them?

I never had heated grips....I know many who swear by them, but usually those with full windshields and fairings.

Cookie

Yinzer said:
I've tried a couple types of heated gloves with no luck.
Trying these 2 things next.
I'd like to ride down to 35F but my fingers can't take more than 10 miles at speed.

Yinzer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Pittsburgh, Pa.
Reply #1767 on: December 19, 2022, 01:09:44 am
Cold weather riding....Installed some handle bar "muffs".

I was thinking about muffs.
If what I'm doing doesn't work, that'll be what I try next.
I used them Hang Gliding in the winter and they worked well.
The wind was only hitting our hands around 18 mph (average) but, the temp was below 32F.
We tossed a "hot hands" chemical warmer in each one and were quite comfortable.
2022 Interceptor MkIII (My bike)
1998 Iron Bullet 500 (Shared bike)
2023 Hunter 350 (Dad's bike)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #1768 on: December 19, 2022, 01:52:41 am
I have (arguable) "the best" heated gloves out there....

They don't work much at 35 F !!!!
The air flow just takes all the heat away!
Those wind deflectors seem like they might do the trick, along with heated gloves...kinda pricy!  but if they work who cares?
I'm not sure I could use the bar end mirrors with them?
I never had heated grips....I know many who swear by them, but usually those with full windshields and fairings.
Cookie

Yinzer said:
I've tried a couple types of heated gloves with no luck.
Trying these 2 things next.
I'd like to ride down to 35F but my fingers can't take more than 10 miles at speed.
My credentials for this topic is, I grew up riding in New England.
The hipo-hand devices with heated grips do work. But they come wih some hassle and limitations.
You should browse around for "hunting mittens with finger flaps". Or two finger mittens. Get them with gauntlets and without heating system. They are affordable water/ wind proof and tough. Tons of choices $25 - $40.
They are essentially wearable hippo-hands. New riders may find them awkward but grizzly riders will adapt in minutes. 
_ Now for the heat: With minimal skill any one can wire up these 12V DC silicon heating pads. $20 for 4 of them.
The fit inside your new mittens (they can be used in lots of ways like tucked into your waistband)
https://www.amazon.com/Icstation-50X100mm-Silicone-Electric-Temperature/dp/B07PFHLP53/ref=sr_1_1?crid=13HXX0VUDCH9P&keywords=4%2BPCS%2BSilicone%2BHeater%2BMat%2C%2BIcstation%2BRubber%2BHeating%2BMat%2B12V%2B15W%2BElectric%2BBlanket%2BFlexible%2BMat&qid=1671413892&s=industrial&sprefix=4%2Bpcs%2Bsilicone%2Bheater%2Bmat%2C%2Bicstation%2Brubber%2Bheating%2Bmat%2B12v%2B15w%2Belectric%2Bblanket%2Bflexible%2Bmat%2B%2Cindustrial%2C179&sr=1-1&th=1

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1769 on: December 19, 2022, 11:20:22 am
If you want to keep warm, good quality heated grips and handle bar muffs. You will look like a muppet, but a warm one.
I think Oxford Touring Grips are great, had them on two different bikes.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.