Author Topic: Sprag clutches - are aftermarket ok?  (Read 11515 times)

swamp2

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 03:07:14 am
Oh MAN! Is it Military green? Note my signature! Either way The G5 was a great choice. It's the much less popular but waaay cooler model IMHO.
Nope, this one is black and chrome.  Not sure, maybe that makes it a "Deluxe"?  I haven't quite figured out the various models and designations for these guys over the years yet.  Still not sure what differentiates a B5, C5, G5.  I'll get there...
2012 C5 Classic Chrome
2009 G5 Deluxe (ok this has been sold)

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 04:42:00 am
Nope, this one is black and chrome.
I remember seeing the bike on the ad before you bought it, swamp2, but that picture disappeared along with the ad when you bought it.  You're going to have to take and post some pictures.  I remember it was a very nice looking bike, I am thinking "Classic Chrome Bullet" was what they called it back in '09.

If your seller is responsive, and somebody else vouches for them, you should be in good shape as far as getting your parts.  But, I've had sellers with LOTs of positive feedback fail to deliver.  It's all part of that long delivery window loophole, I was talking about.  If their opportunity to leave feedback is gone before they have the right to complain, not many people are going to get the chance to leave negative feedback.  I've had sellers ask for positive feedback after they supposedly "ship", and long before the item is delivered.  That really gets my spidey sense tingling!

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 11:04:33 am
Still not sure what differentiates a B5, C5, G5.  I'll get there...

They all have the same engine with exception of some small differences i.e. front sprocket size, rocker cover shape,   and outer case design.

Each model has a different frame, and there are various front fork configurations. That's about it (in a nutshell).

Generally anything with chrome on it is called a Deluxe. (Twins Excluded)
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

swamp2

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 11:45:47 am
I remember seeing the bike on the ad before you bought it, swamp2, but that picture disappeared along with the ad when you bought it.  You're going to have to take and post some pictures.  I remember it was a very nice looking bike, I am thinking "Classic Chrome Bullet" was what they called it back in '09.

If your seller is responsive, and somebody else vouches for them, you should be in good shape as far as getting your parts.  But, I've had sellers with LOTs of positive feedback fail to deliver.  It's all part of that long delivery window loophole, I was talking about.  If their opportunity to leave feedback is gone before they have the right to complain, not many people are going to get the chance to leave negative feedback.  I've had sellers ask for positive feedback after they supposedly "ship", and long before the item is delivered.  That really gets my spidey sense tingling!
Well, it's sort of embarrassing, but there's actually 2 bikes now, the '12 black/chrome C5 I picked up a month ago, and this black/chrome '09 G5 (Deluxe?).  But that's a story for another time...

I ordered the sprag (opted for the genuine RE part rather than aftermarket, BTW) from the seller in India, and ebay says I'll have it by Dec. 11.  So that's pretty reasonable if it happens.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:58:39 pm by swamp2 »
2012 C5 Classic Chrome

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: November 24, 2019, 12:17:36 pm
Edit:
I was thinking about it over my morning coffee. This is only true prior to 2012 when the C5 chrome / black and chrome / maroon models were released.

There are very few absolutes when Royal Enfield is the subject.
Generally anything with chrome on it is called a Deluxe. (Twins Excluded)
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 12:46:08 pm
Hitchcock's does have the 2nd gen.

And for those of you who are new to this, here's what the "self-destructing" 1st gen looks like:

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 11:23:33 pm
I actually had the sprag clutch replaced on a 015 or 016 C5 bike. purchased new that year and gave the warning signs almost from the very first start up. it was replaced under warranty at 300 miles on the clock-easy to tell when it happens.
hit the button- the starter motor spins but doesn't engage correctly and just spins away.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 12:20:39 am
  If you are upgrading from the 1st self distructo sprag  to the newer one with the spring...    You must buy the whole gear assembly .   Just checked my notes.. and in bold letter's I have " New style sprag bearing will not fit onto old style gear.   ;)   I evidently ,at the time way back when, measured about a 2.5 mm difference where the sprag rides in the gear.   Anyway..    The new sprag bearing will not fit into the older style gear's housing.

The part number I found stamped on the NEWER springy  sprag bearing ,  and that's the bearing,  not the whole gear assembly is....  MT000242B15-TEM.    Googling would be your friend here with that  part number.   You may be able to find a bearing supplier that has them...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:45:35 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

swamp2

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 01:59:58 am
Ok, well I ordered the whole assembly ($97) so provided they send the correct thing (592593/A?) I should be good to go.  A little discouraged to hear of wildbill's early failure of the newer design, but I guess examples of infant mortality can happen with anything.

I got an email today, through "PikMyBox"  - that said "custom clearance for your parcel has been initiated at origin" and "this parcel has been shipped via India Post" along with tracking number.  Then I got an ebay "your order has been shipped".  Then a FedEx message saying it would be delivered this Friday.  If that's accurate, I'll have the part from India before I even pick up the bike!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 11:32:06 am by swamp2 »
2012 C5 Classic Chrome

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 11:41:11 pm
I actually had the sprag clutch replaced on a 015 or 016 C5 bike. purchased new that year and gave the warning signs almost from the very first start up. it was replaced under warranty at 300 miles on the clock-easy to tell when it happens.
hit the button- the starter motor spins but doesn't engage correctly and just spins away.

One bad one, in like 14 UCE bikes ain't a bad success rate for Enfields Brother ?   ;D     That spring was probably weak to begin with , from whoever makes that sprag for Enfield.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

swamp2

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 04:42:33 pm
Ok, my sprag clutch from seller "royalspareparts" was indeed received this morning. ebay projected a delivery date 12/3-12/11, and it was received 11/29.  Order was exactly as advertised, a "genuine" RE spare, shipped in RE sealed packaging.  Considering I ordered this 11/23 and it came from India, I'm very impressed and certainly will have no qualms about ordering from this seller again.

I ordered my 4 oil filters from a different seller in India on 11/19.  ebay projected a delivery date of 12/3-1/7 for that order.  So I haven't received that yet - but when I put the tracking number into an India Post tracking site, it does appear there is a package moving through - location is the Delhi Int. Mail Centre, with a status of "item bagged" and USA destination.  I'll just keep an eye on that one...
2012 C5 Classic Chrome

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 02, 2019, 06:20:48 pm
Can anyone post photos of these "1st gen" and "2nd gen" sprags?

Here's a photo of the 1st gen.
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 12:09:22 am
Bill your 1st gen photo looks a bit different than my 1st gen photo...  ;D

swamp2

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: December 07, 2019, 03:22:43 pm

I ordered my 4 oil filters from a different seller in India on 11/19.  ebay projected a delivery date of 12/3-1/7 for that order.  So I haven't received that yet - but when I put the tracking number into an India Post tracking site, it does appear there is a package moving through - location is the Delhi Int. Mail Centre, with a status of "item bagged" and USA destination.  I'll just keep an eye on that one...
Just to wrap this one up - the filters were delivered 12/5, so that's pretty good given the projected delivery window.  Seller for this one was "uvspareparts".  So I'm 2 for 2 on ebay purchases from India.
2012 C5 Classic Chrome

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #29 on: December 08, 2019, 07:19:38 pm
I have posted this comment so often that I should just copy and paste. When buying parts from India please be aware that there are many counterfeit parts coming from India. Factory wrapping etc. No way to tell the difference unless you can dig deeper into it and that can't really be done from here and without inside knowledge about the vendor.

In India price is everything. An Indian will haggle for the last Rupee. Not a criticism just reality. This fuels the counterfeit parts market.

Be particularly wary of filters. I have cut apart many true factory filters and then compared them with the filter any new vendor was sending. 9 out of 10 times they were of lower quality and were sold as genuine OEM parts. An example used to be iron Barrel oil filters. There were lots of "rebuilt" filters in the market. OEM filters that had been washed until it took a trained eye to tell the difference.

I would cut apart your OEM filter and then compare it to the filter sent to you. If you find a good supplier then stick with them. Some RE parts suppliers from India sell good legitimate stuff but unless you check very carefully you will never know.

I can't diagnose WB's sprag from here but.....given the number of bikes RE is making the counterfeit market has grown exponentially. There were sprags made for the export market and sprags made for the domestic market. Very different in quality and lifespan. Can't really tell by looking at them.

Given the cost difference I would only buy critical parts from your dealer or from Hitchcocks.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com