Author Topic: Respecting local communities by not revealing locations of their "hidden gems".  (Read 1238 times)

m1ckDELTA

• Scooter
Before I start posting I want to introduce myself and get an opinion on this.

I never have a problem asking about a location when I read a ride report but if the OP remains coy about it, I take the hint...

There are roads we ride that everyone knows about and talks about and posts about, "The Crest", PCH, and The Blue Ridge Parkway are three that immediately come to mind. Riders who like to explore independently, however, will find the lesser known and lesser traveled road that is worthy of a "Ride Report" but begs exercising a measure of discretion out of respect for local riders and the local community as a whole. These roads are sometimes sparsely populated and/or judiciously used by locals as alternate routes to avoid poor road conditions elsewhere. Sometimes local riders consider it their local hidden gem but are not necessarily averse to the presence of an intrepid outsider who discovers it on their own and respects the identity of their "hidden gem".

I enjoy seeing pictures from people's rides even without knowing where the location is. I enjoy exploring on my own especially when stumbling upon a great ride. Being led or having a map drawn takes away a lot of the joy for me, most of it really because I look at riding as "exploring". I figure we all want to share that sort of thing without the "need to know" because we are all going to find our own "honey pots" as hunters call such things in their world. Perhaps I might view sharing the good fortune of discovering a hidden gem differently than most?

Ride reports about discovering out-of-the-way back roads without revealing details beyond pictures seems like a good way to share one's good fortune with others while respecting local communities and at the same time encouraging other riders to independently explore, find their own "hidden gems", and share their pictures and experience. Am I the only one who thinks the riding community as a whole has a responsibility to exercise such discretion when posting ride reports on public forums? Perhaps it's better to just not share these unique experiences at all; certain things are just meant to be our own and not shared with others.

My name is m1ckDELTA. I ride motorbikes, therefore, I am.  :)

Leofric

• Grand Gearhead
  • UK
Probably best if you don't want to reveal the location to just not post anything in the first place in my opinion.
People are obviously going to want to know where it is if you describe a favourite ride.

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
If you advertise it or show pictures that entice, they will come.

"Am I the only one who thinks the riding community as a whole has a responsibility to exercise such discretion when posting ride reports on public forums?"

I'd say you are in a very small minority and agree 100% with Leofric. The pages of motorcycling publications, like Rider, are always filled with ride reports, with maps included to show exactly the location. Why be selfish about finds that others would enjoy as well?

Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

m1ckDELTA

• Scooter
Probably best if you don't want to reveal the location to just not post anything in the first place in my opinion.
People are obviously going to want to know where it is if you describe a favourite ride.

Yeah, I'm finding that out. I did like sharing my photographs, though. I'll just keep sharing them among friends.