Author Topic: DRIVE TRAIN FREE PLAY ADJUSTMENT  (Read 1173 times)

davepowell

• Scooter
on: February 19, 2020, 04:52:01 am
Page 83 in the owner’s manual specifies 20-30 mm free play.
Page 460 in the service manual specifies 30-40 mm free play.
I called Royal Enfield USA and got no help.
In the meantime I’m figuring that 30 mm +/- is what I should use.

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 08:05:20 am
True.

And neither specifies whether adjustment is on centre stand on with rear wheel on ground/paddock stand. I guessed 30mm, on the ground.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 10:15:44 am
In the service manual......If you go way back to page 445, which is the beginning of the rear wheel removal/replacement section, they say to support the bike on a jacking stand so the rear wheel is off the ground.

In the following pages the drawings show the bike on its center stand.  The drawings also show the bike in the vertical position.

Although I agree that the are not explicit,but  I would say...the 30~40 mm freeplay is with the rear wheel off the ground and the suspension extended.

The spec of 20~30 from the owners operating manual is probably with the bike on the side stand.  "most" bikes, it is fairly standard,  should be around 1" freeplay in the chain while sitting on the ground on the side stand.  1"= 25 mm......so 20 ~30 is about right.  (dirt bikes much more).

A too tight chain is far worse than a slightly too loose chain.

Cookie

Page 83 in the owner’s manual specifies 20-30 mm free play.
Page 460 in the service manual specifies 30-40 mm free play.
I called Royal Enfield USA and got no help.
In the meantime I’m figuring that 30 mm +/- is what I should use.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 10:25:34 am
The owners manual says to park the bike upright and on a firm level surface.  Although upright seems to imply center stand, with the rear wheel elevated...they do not explicitly say to place the bike on the center stand.

Firm level surface to me implies both wheels on the firm level surface.  Bike upright implies that somebody is holding the bike vertical while you check, or the bike front wheel is placed in a holding chock.

In this case use the smaller spec of 20~30 mm.

Again just my interpretation.....both manuals are not completely clear....something lost in Translation?

Cookie

In the service manual......If you go way back to page 445, which is the beginning of the rear wheel removal/replacement section, they say to support the bike on a jacking stand so the rear wheel is off the ground.

In the following pages the drawings show the bike on its center stand.  The drawings also show the bike in the vertical position.

Although I agree that the are not explicit,but  I would say...the 30~40 mm freeplay is with the rear wheel off the ground and the suspension extended.

The spec of 20~30 from the owners operating manual is probably with the bike on the side stand.  "most" bikes, it is fairly standard,  should be around 1" freeplay in the chain while sitting on the ground on the side stand.  1"= 25 mm......so 20 ~30 is about right.  (dirt bikes much more).

A too tight chain is far worse than a slightly too loose chain.

Cookie

davepowell

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 07:40:52 pm
Thanks for the responses!