Author Topic: The '08 AVL Needs A Different Look  (Read 38794 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 12:24:10 pm
Now of course you run into that little issue of our Indian friends' love of powder-coating the AVL heads and barrels.

After that, you can polish the edges of the fins.

A.

I wrinkle-blacked my barrel back when Ace was doing the head (2014?). That's not to say I would recommend wrinkle-blacking heads although it probably wouldn't hurt at all. It's just that there are tons of prep work involved before you sprayed otherwise it's a waste of time and effort.

The AVLs run pretty cool. I think doing the barrel is no danger. And it really is purty  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:58:04 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 01:15:09 pm
Sorry, but I can't see any difference?
Could you explain what you've done please?

Frank

Pretty sure he just uploaded two identical "Before" photos.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 07:12:00 pm
   Well, this A.M. pouring rain from very early. Now it's just greyyyyy :( :( :(

So. I brought the muffler up here on the coffee table where I can watch it for a while. The look is growing on me, I have to say that. Its saving grace is that it is Very black unlike flat paint that in the right light always shows a puff of "greyness" like vermouth in a martini - it shouldn't really be there, but usually is.

But it's still not "satin" as I think of a satin finish. Satin has a subtle inner "glow" that flat has not got  :)

I'll decide by the weekend (not saying which day).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:15:02 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 03:54:22 pm
    So I finally stared at it long enough and put the header pipe on. I'll let the black goo I slathered all over the new gasket dry for a couple days.

The grey look is not real. It's from the flash. The true color is up near the head. It is Very black.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 05:17:18 pm
I do like the look of that header! Post a pic when you get the silencer fitted, please!
What is the red wire snaking back to the rear mudguard?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 21, 2019, 05:57:15 pm
I do like the look of that header! Post a pic when you get the silencer fitted, please!
What is the red wire snaking back to the rear mudguard?

That's my Wicked Smaht Genius Battery Tender. It's hard-wired into the rear of the right side case which is where the Screamin' Yellow Zonkers Motobatt is.

Dodd

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: September 24, 2019, 04:28:26 pm
Hey fella,

What's the charm thing hanger off the starter?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 04:36:58 pm
Hey fella,

What's the charm thing hanger off the starter?

It's a biker bell, given to me by a friend. Must be a gift from a friend or friends to work.

It's 3 (or4) faces of Ganesh. No, I'm not Hindu.

There's one on the other side that was given by my son. It's just a bell-shaped bell  :)

No, you don't hear any dinging.

Goes back many years. Google it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:40:49 pm by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 09:29:04 pm
   Finally.....

Sorry took so long. Only 3 people here in AVL Land anyway :)

Managed a ten mile ride this morning. Froze to death. T-Shirt.
Finally HAD to get on it or I was afraid I might never.. It's running soooh good :) :)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 10:47:04 pm
Seriously cool looking ride ya got there!
The darker header and silencer give it a much meaner look!  8)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 26, 2019, 12:13:28 am
Seriously cool looking ride ya got there!
The darker header and silencer give it a much meaner look!  8)

Thanks. It's been a long, strange trip.

I wonder why my latest post #24 with the pictures and your Reply #25 are both labeled as Yesterday.

Some things about these forums get curiouser and curiouser.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:15:42 am by tooseevee »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #26 on: September 26, 2019, 07:14:00 pm
The server on one of the other forums I use has been down for a few hours, at least this one is still on-line.

Losing the pipe wrap has definitely smartened your AVL up, nice job.

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 26, 2019, 09:26:09 pm
The server on one of the other forums I use has been down for a few hours, at least this one is still on-line.

Losing the pipe wrap has definitely smartened your AVL up, nice job.

A.

You just kinda don't like the pipe wrap look, do you?  :) That's OK.

I do, but on this bike I just got bored with it.

I do wish that this brand had turned out like the last brand of so-called "Satin" (that was on the muffler only previous lee). This brand is just not quite what I call Satin finish. But it's OK.

There's always next Spring, right?  :) :) ... and it's running sooooh good and I'm So pissed off about my "limits" now  >:( >:(

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 09:39:49 pm

Managed a ten mile ride this morning. Froze to death. T-Shirt.
Finally HAD to get on it or I was afraid I might never.. It's running soooh good :) :)

I've definitely noticed how mine thrives  on even a modicum of mechanical pamperage.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #29 on: September 26, 2019, 11:05:52 pm
You just kinda don't like the pipe wrap look, do you?  :) That's OK.

Guilty as charged, tooseevee!  ;) The plain black pipe on yours looks meaner, result.

What I'd like to find in the UK is someone doing the chrome effect ceramic coating, not sure we have anyone here doing that yet. Ordinary powder coating yes, but not the high-temp stuff, at least not chrome.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...