Author Topic: 650 Power  (Read 4654 times)

Slow4

• Scooter
on: October 10, 2019, 03:07:09 pm
Sorry if this is redundant - I've looked through every review and description I can find. I'm hoping to purchase an Interceptor, but am concerned with the power on the freeway (65mph+). I know that it'll cruise at those speeds, but does it still have decent passing power? I love the bike at or below 50mph, but the dealer doesn't want me to test the bike on the freeway, so I can't test that.

The bike I'm comparing to is a sportster 1200, with the 6 speed. Early 2000s sportsters have about 55hp, which should be about achievable on the interceptor with intake and exhaust setup. If the bike still has torque even at speed, then I'll definitely buy one

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 03:55:00 am
A 650 isn't going to have the power of a 1200. It also isn't going to be as heavy. The 650 will top 100 mph. How often do you do that? The 650 also gets way better gas mileage than the 1200. The Sportster has had the same engine with upgraded cylinders and heads since 1957. The whole bike is a compromise to styling. The INT is a fresh design. The frame is from a race bike frame builder. The engine has the potential for a lot more horsepower in the future but right now there are very few parts available. So the real question is do you want a brand new 2019 bike with potential or a used 1957 bike that has been as upgraded as it ever will be?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 01:42:47 pm
Sorry if this is redundant - I've looked through every review and description I can find. I'm hoping to purchase an Interceptor, but am concerned with the power on the freeway (65mph+). I know that it'll cruise at those speeds, but does it still have decent passing power? I love the bike at or below 50mph, but the dealer doesn't want me to test the bike on the freeway, so I can't test that.

The bike I'm comparing to is a sportster 1200, with the 6 speed. Early 2000s sportsters have about 55hp, which should be about achievable on the interceptor with intake and exhaust setup. If the bike still has torque even at speed, then I'll definitely buy one

What kind of so-called valid comparison is there in putting a 1,200cc bike with a 650cc bike? It's ridiculous.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 02:00:43 pm
            What kind of so-called valid comparison is there in putting a 1,200cc bike with a 650cc bike? It's ridiculous.

Well, you could argue that sort of comparison has been done before in racing when the AMA made 500cc OHV bikes race with 750cc flat-head slightly-modified  ::) Sportsters.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Slow4

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 03:52:02 pm
I think theres plenty of reason to compare these bikes. At the end of the day, they're both retro styled air cooled bikes, and the sportster availability is massive (can easily find a great used model for the same price as RE). For example, the street twin is much faster overall, but the RE is quicker from 25-50 (gearing). So ultimately the usable power is what I'm interested in, how the power is delivered once you're on the freeway and need to put some more power down to pass someone. Obviously a 0-60 would be a joke, but I'm curious about how the bike pulls once you're cruising at 65, is it lacklustre or does it still give a good pull.   

Slow4

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 03:57:02 pm

Really not a ridiculous comparison - As i mentioned, the sportster I'm referring to puts out about 57 horsepower. With just an air filter and exhaust system, you can get well into the 50s on the interceptor. Also, I'm using the sportster as a barometer for comparison as a lot of people are familiar with those bikes (myself included)

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 04:19:56 pm
Hidehi,  thought  I'd  put my tuppence worth in this debate. The Enfield is suprisingly quick. Open the throttle at any speed and it WILL PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE.  It's agile, the fuelling is spot on, no lag or hesitancy. The gearbox and ratios are without doubt one of the best .
As for top speed,  remember your sitting upright and continuous riding above 70mph will be tiring. If you follow this site you will read about minor niggles / character. But equally there is a lot of happy owners. At least this machine allows it's owner's to customise as they think fit. Incidentally I have no connection with R.E. just a satisfied owner.

Slow4

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 04:28:29 pm
Hidehi,  thought  I'd  put my tuppence worth in this debate. The Enfield is suprisingly quick. Open the throttle at any speed and it WILL PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE.  It's agile, the fuelling is spot on, no lag or hesitancy. The gearbox and ratios are without doubt one of the best .
As for top speed,  remember your sitting upright and continuous riding above 70mph will be tiring. If you follow this site you will read about minor niggles / character. But equally there is a lot of happy owners. At least this machine allows it's owner's to customise as they think fit. Incidentally I have no connection with R.E. just a satisfied owner.

Thanks for the input, not sure if anybody is from the UK on this forum but I'm curious how the bike deals with the motorway at 70mph. I think that gets a bit tiring on any upright bike regardless of the power

NuttyRusty

• Bulleteer
  • Little Snoring, United Kingdom
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 04:46:31 pm
I'm midlands based,  for those of you who live outside of the UK, it's the bit in the middle. Personally I detest motorways,  I avoid as much as possible. 70mph is easy, but the real fun starts elsewhere.

Slow4

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 05:38:31 pm
I'm midlands based,  for those of you who live outside of the UK, it's the bit in the middle. Personally I detest motorways,  I avoid as much as possible. 70mph is easy, but the real fun starts elsewhere.

Couldn't agree more. The reason I ask about motorways is because I had a suzuki gladius (basically sv650) and I found motorways very challenging. I had a hard time keeping up with traffic or passing as I'd have to be in the exact correct powerband to get any acceleration past 70. Usually this meant downshifting to 4th, but there was pretty much no power in 6th gear. That bike also had pretty shitty suspension so I never felt very stable at those speeds. The bike could do it, it just wasn't fun.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 06:43:15 pm
I'm midlands based,  for those of you who live outside of the UK, it's the bit in the middle.

:P  ;D

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 01:31:54 am
I think that my daughter's near vintage 03 Ducati Monster 620 probably has more power and could easily out run a new  650 while handling better.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 02:16:24 am
Isn't' the original question about whether it has real world power and passing ability at 65mph? I have not ridden one yet but by all reports the torque curve is excl lent, giving it real world power even if no big numbers on paper, and plenty of passing ability at 65mph.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 02:40:52 am
If your just interested in raw passing power from 65 mph without needing to shift gears, the Harley might be the ticket.  It's big engine puts out a lot of torque and torque is the thing that can speed you up.

If you don't mind shifting gears to get the RE 650 up into the rpm that makes good torque go for the Harley but if you are willing to downshift, I think the RE will kick the Harleys ass.
It has a modern, semi-high reving engine that can crank out some real power when it is needed but you must do your part and shift it down a notch so it can "do its thing".
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Dr Mayhem

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 03:10:56 am
The first ride on my GT was with my wife on board and together we weigh about 285lbs. She was anxious to try out the passenger seating, (which she really likes BTW)
By the time I had shifted into 3rd I knew this was one sweet engine with just the right amount of crank inertia! I've always said that this 650 engine was designed from the crank on up!

This past Monday we were again two-up on it heading into Lake Havasu AZ. It was two lane, traffic moving about 65 mph, striped no passing with a string of cars in front. When the passing lane opened it was slightly up hill. I got 5th and started to accelerate, then 4th and gassed it a little more. Soon we were doing about 92 mph. I got 5th and we dropped back to about 85 mph and that string of law abiding citizens were all behind us. I love this bike! What more do you need? ;D
Guy
19 Conti GT in Dr Mayhem paint 08/24/2019
06 HD Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning