Author Topic: An interesting Covid-19 regulation ruling  (Read 7689 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #75 on: December 16, 2020, 01:36:51 am
@ #73: What I see is the expansion of general ignorance blocking nuke power. I am amazed how vehemently folks defend their positions based on literally zero understanding of the science behind it. The boogeyman of "invisible radiation" somehow is different than the boogeyman of "invisible disease" or "invisible chemicals" or "invisible electricity", all of which stand an astronomically greater chance of killing you than a nuke power plant. Fairly heavy rad doses are stopped cold by simple water. The spent fuel pools at Light Water Reactor sites are a mere 23' deep. The spent fuel rods are stored in them. You could walk around that pool in your underwear and get no more dose than setting in your Lay-Z-Boy at home. A mere 23' of water blocks it all; shut off the lights and you can see the Cherenkov glow, so you know it's the real deal. Even high level radwaste can be glassified and embedded in deep-water offshore subduction zone trenches if you don't want to live with it in Yucca Mountain (which I don't). That mud in the subduction zones won't see daylight again for tens or hundreds of millions of years. Every 24,000 years any Plutonium radioactivity reduces by half, so at 100,000,000 years from now, IF it finds a volcano to vent up thru, it's gone thru 10E4170 half lives. That tiny bit of fissile some hominid conqueror monkey buried long ago is immeasurable after some geologic time has passed. But what I just said is incomprehensible to the fearful Facebook friends and liberal arts majors marching to shut down their only ZERO CO2, night time, all weather power source for their laptops, espresso machines & TV's. They won't or can't listen to anything contrary to their Facebook doctrine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subduction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #76 on: December 16, 2020, 11:09:20 am
But what I just said is incomprehensible to the fearful Facebook friends and liberal arts majors marching to shut down their only ZERO CO2, night time, all weather power source for their laptops, espresso machines & TV's. They won't or can't listen to anything contrary to their Facebook doctrine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subduction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutonium

Demanding something and outlawing or preventing  at least the solution. I've seen that all to often. Those demands come out of the political area though, how desirable a CO2 free world can be is another rather complex question. It ought to be clear that it's applicable only to energy production and consumption. Unfortunately it's not, it's became a marketing scheme. What exactly does it mean to consume an CO2 free burger as advertised on the packaging?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: December 16, 2020, 02:21:29 pm
Demanding something and outlawing or preventing  at least the solution. I've seen that all to often. Those demands come out of the political area though, how desirable a CO2 free world can be is another rather complex question. It ought to be clear that it's applicable only to energy production and consumption. Unfortunately it's not, it's became a marketing scheme. What exactly does it mean to consume an CO2 free burger as advertised on the packaging?

In California, everyone wants to eat a "free range" burger made from a cow that doesn't exhale methane - by keeping it all inside.  ;) (Soon to be an exploding cow.  ;D )   
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #78 on: December 16, 2020, 02:26:55 pm
In California, everyone wants to eat a "free range" burger made from a cow that doesn't exhale methane - by keeping it all inside.  ;) (Soon to be an exploding cow.  ;D )

;D

Apparently soon to take place in Paris...

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/paris-city-hall-fined-for-putting-too-many-women-in-senior-roles
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:40:21 pm by derottone »

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #79 on: December 16, 2020, 08:08:31 pm
They won't or can't listen to anything contrary to their Facebook doctrine.

This.
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: December 16, 2020, 10:23:34 pm
Meanwhile San Francisco strikes again: After making dating legal, it was reported today that they came up with a countermeasure. The city will no longer permit musicians to play outdoors, like they had been doing. Of course, they can't perform indoors, either. So that puts street musicians on the unemployment line with their hand out along with all of the city's musicians who lost their indoor gigs.   :( The reasoning for this rule is to prevent the city's residents from congregating while listening to outdoor music being performed by people who just want to make a living.  What will be next?  ::)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: December 17, 2020, 01:06:10 am
I'm thinking the general idea among San Francisco's leadership is to avoid "death triage" scenarios in their hospitals and semi-trailer mobile morgues parked in the alleys. But if you have a better idea, step up & run for office for your chance to be the "decider". From what I've seen it's a fairly thankless job.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvx7qd/kansas-mayor-resigns-after-getting-death-threats-for-her-mask-mandate
The Orange Minion Mullisha are really going off their nut recently, posting on-line death threats and making death-threat phone calls. Takes a real impressive air gap in your thought process to believe in 2020 AD that those methods aren't traceable or won't be prosecuted. If they hurry maybe they can get on the pardon list, only about 35 more days until the window closes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:20:40 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: December 17, 2020, 02:34:36 pm
One thing California has managed to do by shutting down as many businesses as possible (that typically employ low-wage earners) is to place their workers on the unemployment and soup lines.   :( It was announced today that California workers made up 25% of the entire country's first-time unemployment claims last month.  :o We just love being first in the nation. Good job, California. ::)

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #83 on: December 17, 2020, 06:42:49 pm
The pandemic versus economy dilemma reminds me of Eddie Izzard's bit:
"Cake or death? I'll have the cake, thank you.'
Lurker on a Vespa

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: December 17, 2020, 07:05:38 pm
Now that the Thanksgiving spike is here, ER's are almost full, we have reefer truck morgues in the parking lots, more local folks are finally taking an interest and masking up. Some's better than none I guess. Too bad we always have to go almost to the bitter end before it becomes "real" to people. At least the vaccines are rolling out, so it should start turning around in a couple months.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #85 on: December 17, 2020, 07:05:57 pm
The pandemic versus economy dilemma reminds me of Eddie Izzard's bit:
"Cake or death? I'll have the cake, thank you.'

...but I want a Sandwich, god damn it.  :o

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: December 17, 2020, 10:27:13 pm
Now that the Thanksgiving spike is here, ER's are almost full, we have reefer truck morgues in the parking lots, more local folks are finally taking an interest and masking up. Some's better than none I guess. Too bad we always have to go almost to the bitter end before it becomes "real" to people. At least the vaccines are rolling out, so it should start turning around in a couple months.

I can hardly wait for the Christmas spike. Followed by the New Year's spike. At least the holidays are few and far between early next year.  Is anyone going to celebrate "President's" day?  ;)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: December 18, 2020, 12:13:48 am
R230 - Fox, OAN & NewsMax will probably step up & promote enough ExPotUS Trump driven rallies to take up the lack-of-Holidays slack. I'll be thrilled if we're just battling C19 in April and not each other. Always money to be made getting folks wound up from issues either real or imaginary. The good news is that the anti-vaxxer movement increases the vaccine supply for the rest of us. I'm wondering when they'll twig to the fact that the medical service providers community likely wouldn't embrace a vaccine with a high fatality rate. Another example of Darwinian selection in action?