Author Topic: Is Kawasaki is ready to eat Royal Enfields lunch?  (Read 6923 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 01:41:42 am
The first thing I did to my (used)Triumph scrambler sidecar rig, is pull off the "titanium" poop brown colored Arrow 2 into one exhaust system and replace it with a nice (slightly used for $100.00) stock chrome Thruxton set up...much better!  :) I know the Arrow is high quality but it looked like poop!  :o

I also recently replaced the stock scrambler black plastic 5-1/2" headlight bucket with a Bonneville 7" chrome one...even more better!  8)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 12:51:15 am

But 9fingers, poop brown is in (the toilet or on the beach) today.  :o One of the new colors that BMW is offering on their 2019 R1250RS is a nice pleasant poop brown. So there you go. Italian styling consultants retained by manufacturers in both India and Germany are telling motorcycle companies that their customers want to show off the color of their poop while riding around town.  ::)

I sat on this bike today at the NYC show, and it is pretty nice, comfortable, too big, and does not look as bad in person. I liked the Thruxton better and I will likely be getting the RE 650 GT in blue or white. Comfortable, nice size (I am 6'1") and looks fantastic.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 06:32:16 pm
The company that is looking to eating RE's lunch is Mahindra. Their new Jawa is selling like crazy. They also own BSA. having said that it will take more than that to hurt RE much, The are taking market but in a limited way
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 01:35:40 am
Yes, the Jawa is selling well in India and that market is perhaps the best one for the brand but it wouldn't sell in places like the USA .

Some of the European nations that place high taxes on large displacement motorcycles would also be a fair market for the brand but thinking back, Jawa wasn't a big seller in the U.S. when it was popular.  There aren't any "Oh! Didn't you love those when they sold here" thoughts, even by old farts like me.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 01:45:03 am
I recall the Jawas sold in San Diego as solid and simple but not fast. At the exact same time, a racetrack supplier named Ricky Racer sold a bizarre bike from India called the Bullet for 700 bucks. Neither caught on.
Lurker on a Vespa

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 07:24:49 pm
Friendly competition may result in an even faster growth of that market?

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 08:14:50 pm
Not so friendly but that is the spin that Lal is putting on it.

He told me several times that no one would ever built a bike as big as a 350 in India, but times change.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 01:35:30 am
The first thing I did to my (used)Triumph scrambler sidecar rig, is pull off the "titanium" poop brown colored Arrow 2 into one exhaust system and replace it with a nice (slightly used for $100.00) stock chrome Thruxton set up...much better!  :) I know the Arrow is high quality but it looked like poop!  :o

My boss when I first left school back in the 70's was an old sidecar racer from a longway back.  He said they used to buy wrecks and whack the engine into a sidecar and that they raced everything they could get including  manx's and Goldies and even the occasional square four and apparently even had a black shadow till they blew it up.