Author Topic: Ignoring forum posters  (Read 2537 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
on: April 20, 2021, 11:47:33 am
This forum needs an "ignore" function to filter out posts from members you don't want to hear from. Works well on another forum in active on.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 03:22:13 pm
This forum needs an "ignore" function to filter out posts from members you don't want to hear from. Works well on another forum in active on.

Did you have anyone in particular in mind?   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 06:34:07 pm
I wrote a email letter to admin about members who give out grief, especially to new members that are terribly patronized by retired old farts with nothing good to do. Why not pull their posts? The answer was that Hitchcock's wants to use this forum as a tech help facility. Apparently, they are not capable of cleaning up some of the acts around here and being a tech help.
  After new people are run off by the usual suspects, how does that enhance Hitchcock's business? I don't know. I know I don't like it. How can ACE Motors distribute performance products and give customer support when potential customers are hooted off by narcissistic aged goof balls?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 09:49:22 pm
Did you have anyone in particular in mind?   ;)
Possibly one or two  ;D
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 10:24:47 pm
Good idea.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 03:59:12 pm
I'll take the good with the bad, and haven't read much here to really make me clutch the pearls. But from a technical standpoint there are various modifications that can be made to this SMFTricks Forum system to add an "Ignore User" function. Here is just one off-the-shelf mod for the Admins to consider, in case they stumble into this thread, if they so wish: https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2299. There appear to be several such system enhancements available.

On a brighter technical note, I have it on good authority that our Forum's real gearheads may have finally pinpointed the cause of that annoying "Word Wrap" issue, where the margins would commence inexplicably running off into the next time zone. Through a close examination of the display source code of an afflicted machine, it seems the Messaging feature was dropping a big smelly XML deuce into the works. So, hopefully those Word Wrap Gremlins will now be a thing of the past. However, if it should recur, please post about it in this "Forum Improvements" section, just in case some fine tuning's required.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:22:28 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 11:04:50 pm
It seems that we now do have the Ignore Function.
Not sure exactly how it works but I am about to give it a try later today. I'm just one more annoying comment away and I feel pretty confident I it will happen before day's end ;)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 04:44:40 pm
What we don't then want is for the forum to be hacked and everyone's ignore lists published! Or do we?  ;D

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 06:31:32 pm

As NVDucati mentions, you can find the ignore function in your profile settings if you wish to ignore users. Go to your profile, select "Modify profile", "Buddy/Ignore lists", "Edit Ignore lists", and then add the members that you would like to ignore. This is not something that has been added recently and has always existed on the forum software.

My personal view is that its not needed, but the choice is yours if you wish to use this function.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 07:09:34 pm
This forum would really improve if some one activated the fundamental functions of the software...

like the ability to include images in private messages and the ability to block PMs and posts that have no substantive value or are irrelevant to the thread.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 03:29:36 pm
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 03:30:56 pm
Tried it, it seems to work.  ;D

A.