Author Topic: Light switch on right handlebar  (Read 3265 times)

michaelbarth

• Scooter
on: April 05, 2020, 02:24:32 pm
I have a GT 535 from 2017, and the right handlebar has a light switch.  When I operate the switch, it does nothing.  What is it supposed to do?  I didn't think it was legal to drive with headlights off, so perhaps it came disabled for the US market?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 03:21:20 pm
I have a GT 535 from 2017, and the right handlebar has a light switch.  When I operate the switch, it does nothing.  What is it supposed to do?  I didn't think it was legal to drive with headlights off, so perhaps it came disabled for the US market?

That is about the size of it.  In some markets the switch works, but not for the U.S. Here they don't want you to turn off your lights while the engine is running.  My 2011 Bullet has a working switch. Moving it far to the right turns all of the lights off.  Moving it to the middle position operates only the cat's eyes running lights and moving it to the left lights up everything. My bike either escaped the lighting Nazis or the previous owner defeated the lighting system using a jumper.    ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 10:03:45 pm
That is about the size of it.  In some markets the switch works, but not for the U.S. Here they don't want you to turn off your lights while the engine is running.  My 2011 Bullet has a working switch. Moving it far to the right turns all of the lights off.  Moving it to the middle position operates only the cat's eyes running lights and moving it to the left lights up everything. My bike either escaped the lighting Nazis or the previous owner defeated the lighting system using a jumper.    ;)

Almost. If your bike has an on/off switch on the right handlebar but it does nothing, you have the federally mandated jumper wires installed. Look in the headlight bucket. You'll find a small bundle of wires and the plug colors don't match what they should be. Sorry I can't remember what those colors are, just that they are mismatched. Unplug both ends of the jumper and plug the two, now empty, color matched plugs together. You now have a functional light switch. OMG!!! Don't ever ride with the light off! This switch just decreases the electrical load for starting. ;)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 04:25:37 am
Just search the Forum archive for "dogbone mandate", and you should quickly find detailed instructions on turning that handlebar light switch into something other than a "nuttin' button" by easily  removing some switch override wiring in the headlamp that some folks also call a "pigtail connector". It only takes a few minutes.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:57:28 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.