Author Topic: JOTD  (Read 389733 times)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1170 on: September 24, 2020, 12:36:21 am
When I retired my office gave my the 1952 Underwood Five that I had used for 30 years and the last of their carbon paper. Unfortunately, the ink ribbons for the typewriter have long since dried out.  I had a friend pick up some more ink ribbon cartridges in the Philippines, but they just didn't work right. So now I use my computer as a word processor instead of using the typewriter - at least until the power goes out during the next earthquake, flood or asteroid strike.   ::)   And here is a picture of my home telephone. It works a lot better than a cell phone.  You don't have to keep saying "Can you hear me now?"

re-ink the old ribbons

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Re-ink-a-Typewriter-Ribbon/

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1171 on: September 24, 2020, 01:08:30 am
re-ink the old ribbons

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Re-ink-a-Typewriter-Ribbon/

Thanks. I haven't seen Higgins ink for about 30 years. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for it. But, frankly I am not sure that I want to struggle with a typewriter and its inability to correct my spelling and other writing mistakes like my computer does.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1172 on: October 05, 2020, 02:40:53 pm
Highly detailed Indian custom....
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1173 on: October 05, 2020, 09:06:53 pm
Highly detailed Indian custom....

Interesting prototype, it's going to be really tough to put all the details into a technical documentation if anyone wanted to reproduce it.  ;)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1174 on: October 08, 2020, 05:37:19 pm
Paula loved her cat more than anything so, one day, she was horrified to see the cat hadn't moved for over three hours.
It just sit there staring at nothing.  Not an ear flicked nor did the tail twitch.  Picking up the at and pointing it in a different direction also changed nothing.  The cat just continued to stare straight ahead without moving.

Picking up the cat, Paula took it to her Veterinarian and asked him what could be causing such a strange behavior.

The vet checked out all of the vital signs, its eyes, ears and mouth.  Nothing seemed wrong but just like when it had been at home, the cat continued to stare straight ahead at nothing.

The Vet asked Paula, "Did you feed him anything different or give him anything different to drink?"

Paula said, "Why, yes.  Right before this happened, I gave him some seltzer water.  I thought it would be good for him and make him happy."

"Ah ha!" the Vet said.  "Didn't you know?  You should never give a catatonic?"
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1175 on: October 11, 2020, 09:36:28 am
Paula loved her cat more than anything so, one day, she was horrified to see the cat hadn't moved for over three hours.
It just sit there staring at nothing.  Not an ear flicked nor did the tail twitch.  Picking up the at and pointing it in a different direction also changed nothing.  The cat just continued to stare straight ahead without moving.

Picking up the cat, Paula took it to her Veterinarian and asked him what could be causing such a strange behavior.

The vet checked out all of the vital signs, its eyes, ears and mouth.  Nothing seemed wrong but just like when it had been at home, the cat continued to stare straight ahead at nothing.

The Vet asked Paula, "Did you feed him anything different or give him anything different to drink?"

Paula said, "Why, yes.  Right before this happened, I gave him some seltzer water.  I thought it would be good for him and make him happy."

"Ah ha!" the Vet said.  "Didn't you know?  You should never give a catatonic?"

Very funny, what's the joke.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1176 on: October 11, 2020, 01:48:36 pm
Very funny, what's the joke.

The cat drank Cat Tonic, which made it catatonic.   ;)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1177 on: October 11, 2020, 04:31:44 pm
The cat drank Cat Tonic, which made it catatonic.   ;)

You would need to force the tonic the cat down the throat, that could cost you an eye.  ;)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1178 on: October 11, 2020, 05:05:59 pm
It's called a "pun".
 " Cat a tonic"
 catatonic ( a type of schizophrenia which causes total withdrawal from stimulus around them.)

If a gentleman makes a pun, it could be said he is a" pungent".

Of course, some people don't think they are very punny and the teller needs to be punished.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1179 on: October 11, 2020, 05:57:11 pm
Of course, some people don't think they are very punny and the teller needs to be punished.

Hmmm, figure who the pungent guy is in this clip. I think all the smart arses in this clip will figure the guy.  ;D ;D ;D

https://youtu.be/BKorP55Aqvg

I would agree that the tellers need to get punished by getting bust.  ;)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1180 on: October 11, 2020, 07:33:37 pm
"He who would pun would pick a pocket."  ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1181 on: October 12, 2020, 10:37:24 pm
Ask nicely.  ;)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1182 on: October 13, 2020, 12:20:03 pm
"He who would pun would pick a pocket."  ;D

Until they run out of pockets, after that they may be happy with the Czech sausages.  ;)

Can't wait to see the performance.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 01:03:37 pm by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1183 on: October 13, 2020, 02:04:26 pm
A Russian scientist and a Czechoslovakian scientist had spent their whole lives studying the majestic grizzly bear. Each year they petitioned their respective governments to allow them to go to Yellowstone to study these wondrous beasts.

Finally, their request was granted and they immediately flew to New York and then on west to Yellowstone. They reported to the local ranger station and were told that it was the grizzly mating season and it was much too dangerous to go out and study the animals.

They pleaded that this was their only chance. Finally the ranger relented. The Russian and the Czech were given cell phones and told to report in each and every day.

For several days they called in, and then nothing was heard from the two scientists. The rangers mounted a search party and found the scientists' camp completely ravaged. No sign of the missing men, just two sets of bear tracks leaving the site, apparently a mated pair of bears.

They followed the tracks a few miles and found the female. They decided they must kill the animal to find out if she had eaten the scientists, as they feared an international incident.

They killed the female and cut open the bear's stomach, discovering only the remains of the Russian.

One ranger turned to the other and said, "You know what this means, don't you?"

"Of course," the other ranger nodded. "The Czech is in the male."
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1184 on: October 13, 2020, 04:52:54 pm
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...