Author Topic: JOTD  (Read 389735 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1125 on: September 11, 2020, 06:52:30 pm
Answer: 24 Camels.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1126 on: September 11, 2020, 10:33:04 pm

Lost Words From Our Childhood.   

Mergatroyd!   Do you remember that word?  Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd?  Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a     Jalopy;   and he looked at her quizzically and said, "What the heck is a Jalopy?"  He had never heard of the word jalopy!  She knew she was old ... But not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory  after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology.  These phrases included:   Don't touch that dial, Carbon copy, You sound like a broken record, and Hung out to dry.

Back in the olden days we had a lot of  moxie.  We'd put on  our best bib and tucker,  to straighten up and fly right.

Heavens to Betsy!   Gee whillikers!       
Jumping Jehoshaphat!    Holy Moley!

We were  in like Flynn  and  living the life of Riley ; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be  swell,  but when's the last time anything was swell?  Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers.

Oh, my aching back!  Kilroy was here,  but he isn't anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say,  "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or, "This is a fine kettle of fish!"  We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof,  go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind.  We blink, and they're gone.  Where have all those great phrases gone?

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey!  It's your nickel.  Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks!  Going like sixty.  I'll see you in the funny papers.  Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills.  This can be disturbing stuff!     (Carter's Little Liver Pills are gone too!)

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth..   
See ya later, alligator! Okidoki.

You'll notice they left out  "Monkey Business"!!!
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1127 on: September 11, 2020, 10:39:49 pm
Pretty sure it's Murgatroyd. That's why spellchecker failed  ;)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1128 on: September 12, 2020, 06:24:57 am
   At least "Pull my finger!" hasn't left us.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1129 on: September 12, 2020, 06:25:11 am
Yet.
'12 C5 Classic

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1130 on: September 12, 2020, 02:09:48 pm

Mergatroyd!   Do you remember that word?  Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd?  Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a     Jalopy;   and he looked at her quizzically and said, "What the heck is a Jalopy?"  He had never heard of the word jalopy!  She knew she was old ... But not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory  after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology.  These phrases included:   Don't touch that dial, Carbon copy, You sound like a broken record, and Hung out to dry.

Back in the olden days we had a lot of  moxie.  We'd put on  our best bib and tucker,  to straighten up and fly right.

Heavens to Betsy!   Gee whillikers!       
Jumping Jehoshaphat!    Holy Moley!

We were  in like Flynn  and  living the life of Riley ; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be  swell,  but when's the last time anything was swell?  Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers.

Oh, my aching back!  Kilroy was here,  but he isn't anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say,  "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or, "This is a fine kettle of fish!"  We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof,  go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind.  We blink, and they're gone.  Where have all those great phrases gone?

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey!  It's your nickel.  Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks!  Going like sixty.  I'll see you in the funny papers.  Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills.  This can be disturbing stuff!     (Carter's Little Liver Pills are gone too!)

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth..   
See ya later, alligator! Okidoki.

You'll notice they left out  "Monkey Business"!!!
I see you have "opened up a can of worms". (Which can be bought for five dollars a pop). My question is what ever happened to the Magillacuttes that lived next door to everyone back then? Cops asked speeders if they were Barney Oldfield.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1131 on: September 13, 2020, 05:37:15 am
And the driver replies "No, and I haven't had a ticket since Christ was a Corporal."
'12 C5 Classic

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1132 on: September 13, 2020, 01:22:19 pm
And the driver replies "No, and I haven't had a ticket since Christ was a Corporal."

Haven't heard that one since before Pontius was a pilot.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1133 on: September 14, 2020, 04:34:55 am
 ;D
'12 C5 Classic

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1134 on: September 14, 2020, 11:52:10 am

I remember and still use once in a while, all of those and here are a few things that have driven me nuts over the past 30 years:

No one, including so-called educated people all over the spectrum, use pronouns correctly, eg., "Me and her went ta da beach", "Him and me are having a baby". Even news broadcasters and so-called journalists.

No one uses the word "me" any more, eg., "My wife and myself went to ta da store yestadee". This has become yoo bick wituss across the spectrum.

"A hard ROW to HOE" has become "A hard ROAD to hoe". I very seldom hear 'hard row' any more from ANYone on media anywhere; newspeople, politicians, so-called "well educated people". Many of them may not even know what a hoe IS. I'd like to see them hoeing a road  :)

"Home in on" has become "HONE in on" across the board. I never hear home in on any more. Look it up. It comes from WW2 pilots "HOMing in on" an RDF signal to get back to their "home base".

"NUKULER". And I'm sick to death of excuses and justificatios like it's "regional dialect" or other BS to justify it. No, it's just plain ignorance. The word is NUCLEAR. Comes from Nucleus. And I always wonder how they pronounce Nucleus? Have they ever LOOKED at either word in a DICtionary?

There are more, but I gotta take the dog out.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:56:19 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1135 on: September 14, 2020, 02:58:27 pm
My biggest complaint regarding the vocabulary of the news media and the people that they interview are two words that they use all of the time. They are "basically" and "you know". Neither of which make any sense during their conversations.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1136 on: September 14, 2020, 03:03:22 pm
How about "supposably"?
Anyone using THAT instead of "supposedly" is not worth my time and energy.
'12 C5 Classic

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1137 on: September 14, 2020, 04:31:33 pm
How about "supposably"?
Anyone using THAT instead of "supposedly" is not worth my time and energy.

Yes, I forgot that one and "shock exsorbers" and "pomp and circumstances". Also "obliverous" as "He was totally obliverous to the elephant bearing down on him". Another is Loom which is RI for Loam.

Oh! Oh! My favorite!: People who call an Attorney General "General" eg', "Good morning, General Barr. Thank you so much for coming today to get your fair share of abuse and provide me with clips for my next campaign ads".  Many, many, many of our learned "legislators" and lawmakers commit this ignorant sin over and over in committee hearings and interviews and it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. And you hear it from hundreds on ALL platforms of our "media machine" talking about all kinds of Attorneys General. 

My favorite story on this subject is when Surgeon General Adams was appearing before (I think) the Press Club. He was referred to as General many times during his introduction. The first words out of his mouth when he came to the podium were: "First of all I am not a General and secondly I am not a surgeon". The place lost it laughing and clapping.

That also points out another problem nowadays. People hesitate (and mostly refuse) to correct people now for fear of embarrassing them or they think it's rude or they're just plain afraid to. Unleashing a verbal projectile diarrhea of ignorant BS from the ignorant miscreant is likely what you'll get & is to be avoided at all costs in a public situation. Too many people are on a psychotic knife-edge these days*.

* Good song. I prefer the version by Tom Rush.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 04:37:25 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1138 on: September 14, 2020, 05:01:18 pm
Lets not forget, Cut The "Mustard".  ;)
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1139 on: September 14, 2020, 05:38:28 pm