Author Topic: Cat converter in header pipe  (Read 1174 times)

Snotball

• Scooter
on: June 02, 2020, 12:27:12 pm
I have a Euro 4 Classic 500 with a short cat converter in the header pipe about 10” back from where it goes into the muffler. Wondering if anyone has removed this and if so with what and how?

Thanks
Garry

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 05:37:14 pm
I have a Euro 4 Classic 500 with a short cat converter in the header pipe about 10” back from where it goes into the muffler. Wondering if anyone has removed this and if so with what and how?

Thanks
Garry

Don't know if this'll help with your fancy extra-crispy UCE, but I've read of folks with later Iron Barrels like mine and the subsequent AVL models using either a Dremel Tool with a grinder bit or one of those hole-cutter drill bit things that just fit the pipe's inner diameter to grind out the few little spot welds that hold the "catalytic-converter-like" glow tube object in place right near the end of the pipe where it meets the muffler (but not 10 inches into it like yours seems to be). Being much further in, as you say, you'll likely also need one of those flexible or other drill bit extender things, and once freed up, you'd likely need to fish yours out with a hooked piece of coat hanger or maybe one of those magnetic or clawed grabby tool doodads.

With a Forum handle like "Snotball", I've gotta guess you're a Yankee Running Dog like me, so here's a link to a selection of Harbor Freight hole saw kits that might do the job: https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=hole%20saw

I haven't removed my 2005's catlike thingee yet, but plan to one day. For now, my circumstances are such, with neighbors' very young children napping nearby, that I'm happy to let it run a bit quieter with that hairball in place. Not to threadjack or anything, but I've been sort of wondering if it'll be necessarily to rejet my carb once I do remove it. Mine runs just a tad rich as-is--not alarmingly so, but I reckon a little clearer breathing might lean it out "just so."

Anyhow, until someone more knowledgeable comes along, I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:47:40 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Snotball

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:12:46 am
Thanks for your reply Bilgy. Yeah! I share exactly your thoughts am am probably just looking for someone to agree with me before I start drilling and Hacking.