Author Topic: Modify and Remove  (Read 2610 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: May 29, 2020, 12:25:33 pm
    What happened to the ability to Modify and Remove?

One day they're there, another day they're not.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 02:35:17 pm
    What happened to the ability to Modify and Remove?

One day they're there, another day they're not.

I noticed the same thing when I wanted to modify a misstatement in one of my posts.  Now I really have to be careful when I push the "post" button.

I suspect this change was initiated by the forum administrator in response to WildBill's tantrum a couple of weeks ago when he was going through all of his previous posts and removing them.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 04:47:40 pm
I noticed the same thing when I wanted to modify a misstatement in one of my posts.  Now I really have to be careful when I push the "post" button.

I suspect this change was initiated by the forum administrator in response to WildBill's tantrum a couple of weeks ago when he was going through all of his previous posts and removing them.

Well, I personally don't like it. I don't like the idea of not being able to correct something in one of my posts that I may have discovered is wrong due to a simple mistake or "I maybe better go check my notes on that" or something similar.

Also grammar, apostrophes and spelling mistakes drive me mad and I want the ability to correct my own when I read them later that might have been made because I didn't have the light on the keyboard or had a simple brain fart. 

Aha! I just posted this and there they are, Modify and Remove, back again.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 05:14:11 pm
[... Snip!]

Aha! I just posted this and there they are, Modify and Remove, back again.

Unfortunately, henceforth those "Modify" and "Remove" options will now only be available for one hour after posting. This change in policy by our Forum Administrator "Dantheman" was announced here: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=28366.msg324520#msg324520

I too would prefer reversion to the "Old Flexible Ways", and have already made my wishes known to the Admins via PM. Thing is, as with this posting, I often bang out my postings on my small and finicky "device", whose spell and grammar check has a deranged mind of it's own (See what I mean? I know it's "its" in possessive form), and then saunter on by later at my leisure to polish them up on my laptop. Now it's a big friggin' rush, or I risk coming off as a more of a dimwit that I am. Ask the wife...It ain't that far a stretch.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:29:08 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 05:46:31 pm
Not good, we'll be back to the days of composing our messages in some word processing software/app and copying and pasting here.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 05:49:27 pm
But it seems that I still have Modify and Remove! Temporary glitch? Or is it time limited, like on Hitchcocks' own forum?

A

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 08:34:18 pm
But it seems that I still have Modify and Remove! Temporary glitch? Or is it time limited, like on Hitchcocks' own forum?

A

I totally missed the proclamation from Dantheman that was linked in a post down below. I was totally uninterested (disinterested) in the wildbill "problem" except for vicariously riding with him and I never cared what bike he was on.

I don't totally agree with this policy, but I do understand about someone going back or even way back and deleting a bunch of his/her stuff which could just destroy the flow of what might be an informative or even very important thread.

I will, however, be spending way more time in Preview proof-reading for apostrophes, grammar, there and theirs, brain farts, etc., before I hit Post. There were many times over the years when I would notice an error of some kind a couple days later and be able to fix it. Actually I'll even use that bit more time to consider whether I'll actually Post it at all.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 08:46:25 pm
Have just revisited my earlier posts above and the Modify and Remove options for those posts have now disappeared.

So what seems to be the case is that you CAN modify and remove if you act quickly enough, but leave it an hour or two and you lose that option.

A.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 10:32:56 pm
Fortunately, I still have a bottle of "Whiteout" to correct my typing mistakes.   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 11:56:36 pm
That stuff makes a mess of the screen, I find.  :P

A.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 12:30:20 am
That stuff makes a mess of the screen, I find.  :P

A.

Whatever gets you through the topic...
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 04:59:15 pm
Have just revisited my earlier posts above and the Modify and Remove options for those posts have now disappeared.

So what seems to be the case is that you CAN modify and remove if you act quickly enough, but leave it an hour or two and you lose that option.

A.
Right.
You have one hour to edit your post after you have entered it.

That's a lot longer than the time limit that several other forums give.  Some of them only give 15 minutes before the time limit runs out.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary