Author Topic: Successful carb settings redeux  (Read 32778 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 03:08:38 am
This is a potentially very useful thread. Parsed by carb type it might one day make for a handy reference database of best proven practices. Shame the old thread got lost in the shuffle.

Just as a sort of baseline, I wonder if someone could provide the stock Mikcarb VM28 and other carbs' factory setup(s) through the years with the stock exhausts, both with and before the Air Pulse Valve, "Catalytic" Tube, and so forth were added.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 05:32:26 pm
Needle jet is way too rich.
Try P4 or P6 needle jet.

Which person and which carb is this a Reply to? ???
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #32 on: August 17, 2019, 03:23:15 pm
This one, tooseevee!

Heloego, Your post sounds the closest to my bike so maybe you can help me here? Iron barrel 2006 Classic with standard muffler. Recently bought Mikuni VM32 and is now jetted as follows.
Pilot 30
Main 180
Needle 6DP17
Needle jet Q6
Clip in middle slot
Slide is 3 (standard)
It has a POD filter
Runs ok but I feel it could go better. I don't want a loud muffler hence the stock one. Recommend a free flow muffler that is not too loud if you can. I have experimented with a main from 150 to 250 and a pilot from 25 to 35. The only time I got it running any good at all was when I replaced the recommended 6F05 needle jet with the 6DP17 which was on the carby as delivered. I started a post on O2 gauges which I have temporarily fitted but no matter what jetting I use it tells me it is too rich even though the plug looks ok.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: August 17, 2019, 04:00:08 pm
This one, tooseevee!

Ah! Danka.
      If VM not TM then Ignore.

Sleep.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:03:58 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 12:52:14 pm
Still good carbs, though. The TMs are taller, which can occasionally lead to under-tank clearance issues, especially with the accelerator-pump versions. This one might have gone a wee bit too big.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 09:27:33 pm
Still good carbs, though. The TMs are taller, which can occasionally lead to under-tank clearance issues, especially with the accelerator-pump versions. This one might have gone a wee bit too big.

I wasn't dissing VMs.

I commented that only because a TM is what I have on the bike so I is disinnerested in VMs.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 02:44:51 pm
No dissing was read into your post, tooseevee!  :) I had good results with a TM36-31 pumper carb on my old Electra-X (still got that carb!) as well as a VM32 on an old BSA of mine years ago.

Ace did a lot of work with the TM32-1 on the Fireball Bullets, and it has proved to a good choice for AVL as well as cast iron. I suspect the TM in the picture I posted was nearer a TM38...

A.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #37 on: August 21, 2019, 10:51:55 pm
I've a VM32 tuned for 6=7000 altitude.Love what it did for performance with a polished exhaust port and free-flow exhaust. I like the looks, too.

Only issue I keep having is the slide is finicky. Have to keep adjusting the idle up or down at stops.
It's not the cable. I keep it lubed regularly, and the slide with engine off doesn't stick at all. Tried lubing the slide with Teflon, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: August 22, 2019, 12:08:12 am
I've a VM32 tuned for 6=7000 altitude.Love what it did for performance with a polished exhaust port and free-flow exhaust. I like the looks, too.

Only issue I keep having is the slide is finicky. Have to keep adjusting the idle up or down at stops.
It's not the cable. I keep it lubed regularly, and the slide with engine off doesn't stick at all. Tried lubing the slide with Teflon, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Do you put a little Magical Mysterious Oil in your gasoline, petrol, benzine, whatever? I wonder if that might help??

Cue Bilgemaster. He'll give you all the formulas (formulae?)  :) :)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #39 on: August 22, 2019, 01:25:08 am
LOL. Got a bottle of MMO in the garage for awhile now. Forgot I even had it!  :o
I'll give it a try this weekend and see if it helps.
Thanks for the suggestion!  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: August 22, 2019, 12:46:22 pm
LOL. Got a bottle of MMO in the garage for awhile now. Forgot I even had it!  :o
I'll give it a try this weekend and see if it helps.
Thanks for the suggestion!  ;D

I've found that just barely an ounce per two gallons seems to be OK. Keep an eye on your plug. It will tell you if you're using too much. Back in the '50s and '60s we all used what was then called top oil. Then we got unleaded gas and it was absolutely necessary for engines not yet built (or rebuilt) for it. I remember the first shovel I had the heads "built" on for unleaded. The total rebuild of each head was $500 each. The work was similar to what Ace did to my '08 AVL head. They were freaking gorgeous  ;D ;D

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: August 22, 2019, 02:18:18 pm
        I've found that just barely an ounce per two gallons seems to be OK. Keep an eye on your plug. It will tell you if you're using too much. Back in the '50s and '60s we all used what was then called top oil. Then we got unleaded gas and it was absolutely necessary for engines not yet built (or rebuilt) for it. I remember the first shovel I had the heads "built" on for unleaded. The total rebuild of each head was $500 each. The work was similar to what Ace did to my '08 AVL head. They were freaking gorgeous  ;D ;D

I hate to say it, but I am still using "top cylinder" oil in the gas of my RE.  Seems appropriate, somehow. But now it is called by other names, such as fuel cleaner and combustion improver.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: August 22, 2019, 05:47:34 pm
I hate to say it, but I am still using "top cylinder" oil in the gas of my RE.  Seems appropriate, somehow. But now it is called by other names, such as fuel cleaner and combustion improver.  ::)

But aren't most of those (not all) mostly just alcohol? I don't know myself. I don't buy much "bottled stuff for engines and gullible people". Whereas Magical Mysterious Oil is actually an "oil".

I used to see a lot of "octane boosters" on the shelves also. I think they mostly boosted the profits of the auto store.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: August 22, 2019, 09:33:31 pm
        But aren't most of those (not all) mostly just alcohol? I don't know myself. I don't buy much "bottled stuff for engines and gullible people". Whereas Magical Mysterious Oil is actually an "oil".

I used to see a lot of "octane boosters" on the shelves also. I think they mostly boosted the profits of the auto store.

I suspect that top cylinder oil and the like are just repackaged kerosene. Of course, I also believe the Marvel Mystery Oil is likely kerosene, too. But you do get a lot more of the stuff for your money.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #44 on: August 22, 2019, 11:45:51 pm
I suspect that top cylinder oil and the like are just repackaged kerosene. Of course, I also believe the Marvel Mystery Oil is likely kerosene, too. But you do get a lot more of the stuff for your money.  ::)
Nope.
Marvel Mystery Oil doesn't smell like kerosene or coal oil and it won't light with a match like either of these fuels will.
Given enough time and heat it will burn but it burns like a light weight motor oil.

I know these things because I just tested it. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary