Author Topic: Horn relocation  (Read 1218 times)

Beeza

• Bulleteer
on: July 10, 2023, 03:26:28 pm
The search turned up nothing. My bike had the bracket removed and one horn hung from the gusset under the head tube. I’m fine with that, but wonder about the loss of airflow to the head. Given that the only time I use a horn is to check that it works, and no official has ever looked for whether I have one, I am tempted to just remove it for the hot season while looking for a better location.

I’ve seen pics of horns cracking off but hanging down from up there seems pretty good so far. I can also see how there would probably be enough turbulence to redistribute the airflow but there are also the frame tubes already in the way. Coming from a horizontal single background, Honda 90 Aermacchi, I always gloated over the unimpeded air to the head advantage.

Am I worried about nothing? Any suggestions? Maybe angle it so it isn’t face forward?

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 08:05:46 pm
With in the first 100 miles on my ‘14 GT from buying it new at the dealer, I made two custom horn brackets that mounted in the stock location.  The brackets were not as tall as the stock brackets which lowered the horns about 2 inches.  Not much but did look better.  About a year later, one of the custom brackets cracked and broke.  I ended up removing both horns.  I mounted the higher tone horn under the tank.  I believe the fuel pump is mounted to the frame directly under the tank with a 10mm bolt.  I mounted the higher tone horn to that same 10 mm bolt and used a couple dabs of blue locktite so the bolt will stay tight.

With out looking at my maintenance record note book, Id have to guess that I mounted the horn under the tank between 1,000 - 2,000 miles on the bike.  I now have right around 13,300 miles on the bike.

Mounting the horn under the tank gives the GT a much nicer and cleaner look then having both horns directly in front of the engine.  Iv had no issues with the horn mounted under the tank.  The higher tone horn cuts through traffic noise better then the lower tone horn.

It took about 30 minutes to remount the horn under the tank, and re route the horn wire so that the wiring looks stock and not an eye sore.  The second horn wire not being used, I put some electrode grease in the connection to keep moisture out and so the brass connector ends wont Corrode.  Then I too about a 5 inch length of black heat shrink tubing and fitted it over the plug end.  Heated the shrink tubing so that it would seal around the plug.  I made sure to leave a couple of inches of heat shrink tubing past the end of the plug so that way it the heat shrink tubing would shrink up against its self and seal the end of the tubing so no moisture would get past it.  Cut the Excess tubing from the end of the plug, being sure to leave about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2” of the heat shrinked tubing as a little big tail.  With a mechanics razor blade, you can easily cut the heat shrink tubing off of the plug if you decide in the future you want to use it again.

I dont ride in the rain and my ‘14 GT has never been caught out in the rain, but living here in Houston with our 9 months of crazy 80% +++ humidity, its still very important to protect wire connectors and relays with the proper electrode grease / gel to prevent the connector from corroding.

Living here in Houston Tx where since the last week of May this year we’ve only had about 5 or 6 days below 99° F.  I never liked the stock location of the horns because it didnt look good.  I also didnt like them being mounted directly in front of the engine where was the opportunity for them to block some air flow to the front of the engine.  I dont know fir sure if they actually do block the air flow or if there noting to worry about.  The way I think about it, Its like a penny, have enough pennies and you end up with a dollar.  A small fraction of blocked air flow here and a small fraction of blocked air flow there, pretty soon it all adds up to a decent amount of air flow blockage.  Any time you can allow the engine to get a free flow of air helps.

Me personally, I wouldnt want anything allowing for the chance of goofing up the air flow to the engine.  Might be worth a try mounting one of the horns under the tank.  If nothing else, you dont have an ugly horn visible for everyone to see.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 09:28:51 pm
Tucked mine under the tank. Utilising 2 existing holes on the guesset where the frame splits to 2 spars under the steering stem.

See attached photos.

Plenty of room. Out of sight as well. Just have to shorten the loom.
59 Club UK/Australia

Beeza

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 10:18:50 pm
Thanks a bunch guys. I found that if I put my hand in the space behind the hanging horn there was not much air flow; with it off, there’s vehicle speed wind, plus I can see the hot part of the head through the fork tubes. I like that.

I just took it for a two hour spin and it seems to run happier. I think the horn can just find happiness among the other surprisingly heavy artifacts, such as the kickstarter and stock exhaust, in the box my heirs can pass along with the bike to the next owner.

I might get motivated to put it on under the tank, but so far I haven’t had the tank off. If I do, I’ll have a look. Horns are a big thing in some cultures; here, not so much.

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 10:45:59 pm
As you can see, The horn tucked up under there cannot be seen. Plenty of airspace around the engine.

Its a older photo of my bike. But you get the idea
59 Club UK/Australia

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 01:01:47 am
The search turned up nothing. My bike had the bracket removed and one horn hung from the gusset under the head tube. I’m fine with that, but wonder about the loss of airflow to the head. Given that the only time I use a horn is to check that it works, and no official has ever looked for whether I have one, I am tempted to just remove it for the hot season while looking for a better location.

I’ve seen pics of horns cracking off but hanging down from up there seems pretty good so far. I can also see how there would probably be enough turbulence to redistribute the airflow but there are also the frame tubes already in the way. Coming from a horizontal single background, Honda 90 Aermacchi, I always gloated over the unimpeded air to the head advantage.

Am I worried about nothing? Any suggestions? Maybe angle it so it isn’t face forward?

You're worried about nothing. My horn is in the same location as yours and StreetKleaver's. It spends hours at a time at evevated RPMs touring and scratching in the hills. I commute in heavy traffic in +40 deg C heat. Its not an issue. You could entomb this engine in concrete and it wouldn't overheat.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 02:24:05 am
I can 2nd Gizzos comment.

He's located a good 2000kms south of me in South Australia. Where as I'm up north in hotter Queensland, I've ridden the bike 400kms south and then trundled along in 40+ dgC slow moving traffic once I hit my city. Didn't worry it at all, even previous to the higher end engine build. Which is tuned a the richer side of crisp.

Location of the horn blocking air flow is the least of your worries. State of tune and load will be.

Especially you lot obsessed with 60mph 3000rpm in top gear!  ;D
Labour town!
59 Club UK/Australia

Beeza

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 05:46:22 am
The horn was mounted hanging down between the front frame down tubes. Not the original location nor up out of the way. The worst place to have it. At least a radiator hanging there has air flowing through it.

I’ll just let your obsession with stock gearing pass.

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 06:37:18 am
The horn was mounted hanging down between the front frame down tubes. Not the original location nor up out of the way. The worst place to have it. At least a radiator hanging there has air flowing through it.

I’ll just let your obsession with stock gearing pass.

A little 30x30 3mm bracket, 2 holes match drilled. The angle of that gusset also angles the horn up under the tank. The flat bar the horn is bolted from memory might need trimming and a new hole drilled.
Did this a while a go. Also each horn has a different tone, find the one you like most.

Not obsessed with stock gearing, just sharing experience what I've tested with a standard engine and thoroughly modified one.

My GT doesn't have stock gearing, let alone left on the bike being stock.
59 Club UK/Australia

Geoff Vader

• 2 Strokes are better than 4
  • Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2023, 09:53:16 am
I’ve stuck a pair of plastic snail car horns up under there with some home made brackets.

Loud enough to wake the dead!
I can kill you with a tray!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2023, 11:18:06 am
Your rocker covers will probably overheat unless you fit a 24 tooth front sprocket.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Geoff Vader

• 2 Strokes are better than 4
  • Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2023, 02:33:49 pm
It’s ok thanks, I’m converting the engine to water cooled. 😎
I can kill you with a tray!

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 11:06:22 am
Beeza, I didn't see your post before I relocated my horns to the 2 vacant captive nuts behind the engine. I didn't have to extend the wires and the OEM horn mounts fitted perfectly and haven't moved. Judging by the splash oil temperature gauge after a ride it has come down from 90C to 80C.
Riding a motorcycle is like life; it's about the journey not the destination.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2023, 08:16:55 pm
You can also remove 1 horn and hide the other under the tank  :)