Author Topic: Putting oil into the gasoline tank?  (Read 7087 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 07:34:39 pm
I love the smell of burnt castor oil in the morning. It smells like victory!  ;D  (Especially when being burned by a big British racing single.  :)  )

"Duvall Rules" :) ;) and Coppolla  :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Keef Sparrow

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 08:38:11 pm
Don't do it on a modern bike - oil and catalytic converters don't mix. Fuel (petrol) injection systems are not designed for it either. If this was a good idea it would be mentioned in the owner's manual.
Past: CB125-T2, T500, GT500, Speed Triple, 955i Daytona. Now: Royal Enfield Bullet Trials 500

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 07:24:44 am
This here be dinosaur country, son... thud...chuff...thud...chuff... ;D ;D ;D - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 08:42:21 pm
Don't do it! The idea of the oil control ring is to prevent oil from reaching the combustion chamber. Oil in the fuel will lean out the mixture, especially on a carburetor equipped bike, the oil displaces the fuel as moves through the jets, will foul the plug and stick the rings. If it was required there would be an oil injection tank next to the fuel tank. Yes, I know all about Marvel Mystery oil, it's great for cleaning air tools...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 04:31:21 am
Wrong side of the piston. The oil control ring applies to liquid thrown onto the cylinder walls, not a minute fraction of oil blended into the fuel. Mixtures richer that 16:1 are the only ones I know of where there is enough oil to begin to affect fuel viscosity & flow rate and necessitate jetting changes. The 100:1 or less blends suggested here just affect corrosion or exhaust smell. In my desert days the sons of affluent folks would run 100:1 or even 120:1 blends in their two strokes to gain some microscopic HP advantage. Daddy was soon replacing crankshafts on Sonny-Boys subsidized racer and the blazingly fast first place experts were still running EZ-on-the-mechanical-innards "low-performance" 26:1 to 40:1 blends. Skill is an amazing thing to watch...
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 04:58:26 am
Wrong side of the piston. The oil control ring applies to liquid thrown onto the cylinder walls, not a minute fraction of oil blended into the fuel. Mixtures richer that 16:1 are the only ones I know of where there is enough oil to begin to affect fuel viscosity & flow rate and necessitate jetting changes. The 100:1 or less blends suggested here just affect corrosion or exhaust smell. In my desert days the sons of affluent folks would run 100:1 or even 120:1 blends in their two strokes to gain some microscopic HP advantage. Daddy was soon replacing crankshafts on Sonny-Boys subsidized racer and the blazingly fast first place experts were still running EZ-on-the-mechanical-innards "low-performance" 26:1 to 40:1 blends. Skill is an amazing thing to watch...

All your points are valid, especially in the minute quantities you use in your examples, though I might quibble that anything richer than 30:1 had an adverse effect on my Bultaco Astro,'s jetting but that was a two-stroke short tracker, running at sea level, not a desert racer. I still don't think adding any oil to a modern four stroke's fuel is a great idea. But I admit not much smells better than an engine running a genuine racing Castor oil. ;)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 05:02:24 am
Here's just the ticket:

Blendzall #460 Racing Castor Lube
The finest race-proven racing castor oil available in the world today. Unsurpassed in quality & performance.
* For use in all 2 cycle engines.
* Cleanest burning degummed castor lubricants available.
* Will not foul plugs.
* Eliminates engine wear.
* Designed for extreme temperatures.
* Blends with all fuels.
* Contains a seal conditioner, preservative and rust inhibitor.
* Contains no acids, nitrates, or rust promoting synthetics.
* Race proven since 1959.

I can't say it'll make your Bullet faster, but any old racer standing downwind will break into a big smile... ;D    - ACR -

It's also a great lubricant if you get stuck behind a guy that's burning it for a lot of laps, and I don't mean that in a good way ;) ;)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 07:13:48 pm
I've read about the WW1 pilots being affected the same way after spending flight time behind their castor oil spewing rotaries...the "clean" air war, eh?  :o

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 08:16:12 pm
I've read about the WW1 pilots being affected the same way after spending flight time behind their castor oil spewing rotaries...the "clean" air war, eh?  :o

I've heard that as well. I'll bet there were some embarrassing and hurried cockpit exits. My mother (91) told me that her mother use to make all the kids take a teaspoon of it once a week to keep them "regular."

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 04:22:54 pm
My mother did that for awhile to all six of us kids. We hated the taste, but there's always "that one kid", a friend next door, who claimed he loved the stuff. Time proved us correct that there was something definitely "wrong" about that lad.  ::)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 11:56:42 pm
I'm sure if this old wives tale had any validity engine manufactures would mention it, the best way to break an engine in is to take it easy, two stroke oil might build up carbon on the piston.