Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 390756 times)

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1230 on: January 02, 2021, 01:29:40 pm

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1231 on: January 13, 2021, 07:00:34 pm
More useless things. Some improvements on the windshield. It's called "black moon" rising.

And the Sitting Bull in preparation for the Little Bighorn battle hiding in the slipstream on the steering nut.   :D

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1232 on: January 14, 2021, 12:11:40 pm
I saw 155 on the speedo today! With a tailwind, sure, but it was still accellerating slowly when I ran out of space and had to slow down. Fastest I've seen on that bike, I think.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1233 on: January 21, 2021, 07:14:16 pm
Not from me, old mate. I'll be using MIG or Oxy/Acetylene. One day I'll get a TIG but not today. Happy Christmas to you, though :)

I love Tig, 0.8mm 25CrMo4 working out at least. Unlikely with my limited welding skills and experience I would succeed to glue this mini tubes together in any satisfactory way. Electric Inverter put to a good use.

So I made an new Kicker as an exercise, very lightweight and bit shorter than the stocker.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1234 on: January 21, 2021, 10:19:01 pm
Looks great!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1235 on: January 21, 2021, 10:40:47 pm
Looks great!
Indeed.
 I guess you're confident it'll hold up in use or you wouldn't have made it like that. How do you like tig? And what machine did you buy? Would recommend?
I was working on an engine conversion on my car yesterday, making various brackets. I was quickly reminded why I hate my MIG so much: it has this design flaw where the wire feed takes its power from same supply that provides power to make an arc. So the wire feeds out, the arc strikes, the feed slows down, the arc stops, the feed comes back on and so on. So you have this wire bouncing on and off the job with the arc starting and stopping and occasionally the wire burns back into the nozzle just for added lols. There's a mod to add a separate power for wire fed but I'm no electrician.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1236 on: January 22, 2021, 06:59:26 am
Indeed.
 I guess you're confident it'll hold up in use or you wouldn't have made it like that. How do you like tig? And what machine did you buy? Would recommend?
I was working on an engine conversion on my car yesterday, making various brackets. I was quickly reminded why I hate my MIG so much: it has this design flaw where the wire feed takes its power from same supply that provides power to make an arc. So the wire feeds out, the arc strikes, the feed slows down, the arc stops, the feed comes back on and so on. So you have this wire bouncing on and off the job with the arc starting and stopping and occasionally the wire burns back into the nozzle just for added lols. There's a mod to add a separate power for wire fed but I'm no electrician.

The down tube is 18mm x 1mm 25CrMo4. Very strong, it should hold up and flexes less than the massive stock rod. I kick it with the chainsaw like decompression engaged anyway.

I'm totally new to Tig, so it took some practice. It might be a bit more demanding on the hand feeding skills and wire dipping than other methods. If welding the very thin stuff like 1mm or below its very easy to burn a hole in there if the amperage is too high or if you hold too long time at one spot. I got an 200 amp AC/DC Inverter for about 600 bucks. It's not exactly a Miller but it's got all the settings that anyone might ever need for any semi professional applications. Very educational and inspirational channel on youtube: weldingtipsandtricks, long way to go to come any close to that guy's skill.  ;)

https://youtu.be/QJ53GMY2Su8

And my little welding corner.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1237 on: January 22, 2021, 07:51:04 am
Here is my all time first welding job for a snow plow truck. It sure still looks crap if compared with an experienced welder, however the weld itself is quite strong and clean. There is no spitting around as with electrodes or mig, and it's covered with argon so it won't rust out - acetylene.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:53:45 am by derottone »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1238 on: January 22, 2021, 04:10:41 pm
Here is my all time first welding job for a snow plow truck. It sure still looks crap if compared with an experienced welder, however the weld itself is quite strong and clean. There is no spitting around as with electrodes or mig, and it's covered with argon so it won't rust out - acetylene.

That's really good.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1239 on: January 22, 2021, 04:11:09 pm
I love Tig, 0.8mm 25CrMo4 working out at least. Unlikely with my limited welding skills and experience I would succeed to glue this mini tubes together in any satisfactory way. Electric Inverter put to a good use.

So I made an new Kicker as an exercise, very lightweight and bit shorter than the stocker.

Super wow!
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1240 on: January 22, 2021, 04:17:23 pm
That's really good.

Thanks, I remember 25 years ago when I tried TIG for the first time it was a box about as big and heavy as a truck engine and could do about the same as the tiny yellow box that weighs maybe 20lbs I've got.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1241 on: January 24, 2021, 11:39:34 pm
It's freezing cold or heavy rain or snow here so no CGT ride since one month  :'(
I've not yet tested the improved velocity stack installed 3 weeks ago.

So I only did a routine maintenance today : brake fluid replaced front and rear. Easy to perform on that bike, even with the ABS unit.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1242 on: January 25, 2021, 09:14:35 am
It's freezing cold or heavy rain or snow here so no CGT ride since one month  :'(

High 30's,low 40's here this week so no riding for me either. Took the kids skiing at the river instead.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1243 on: January 28, 2021, 06:17:27 pm
Today I replaced my eBay/noname seat with a slightly modified stock seat  :)

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #1244 on: January 28, 2021, 07:01:06 pm
Hi Taurim, what do you think of your hagons?