Author Topic: Stock Interceptor vs my free-breathing Interceptor  (Read 18411 times)

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #120 on: April 02, 2021, 05:13:59 pm
Tough crowd. Mr. Cookie is getting a thrashing.  Jack Straw is already a rock star(racing Ducatis, Guitars, luthier), and he even uses Italian-agita. I am impressed.

But this agita is logical vs. emotional brain. Cookie is using the logical side of his brain- Why spend all that money and time on modification when for about the same money spent on these mods you could probably find a used 600cc  Jap sportbike that would trounce any modified RE 650 in every way? Logical brain. But most of us use our emotional brain, which sometimes gets us in trouble.  Ask all of us divorcees about that.

But emotionally when you start up that machine that you just successfully modified, and feel that extra speed or performance, there is nothing like that charge and satisfaction. Hey, maybe some even get they're rocks off and smoke a cigarette, I don't know.

I may get thrashed for playing psychologist!

1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

Effektor

• Bulleteer
Reply #121 on: April 02, 2021, 05:39:13 pm

But this agita is logical vs. emotional brain. Cookie is using the logical side of his brain- Why spend all that money and time on modification when for about the same money spent on these mods you could probably find a used 600cc  Jap sportbike that would trounce any modified RE 650 in every way? Logical brain.
No thrashing intended, just offering a bit of perspective!  ;D
Logically, an used jap sport bike is excessive for what most riders can legally do with it, making even it an emotional choice. In the developed world, riding a motor cycle is almost always an emotional decision.

Having said that, the logic argument falls apart for another reason. The person trying to apply "logic" is looking at things from an illogical perspective. They're tying to apply their priorities to someone else's decisions. Wanting "more performance" doesn't mean "most performance". If that was the case, the argument would be to buy a BMW S1000RRM, which is an utterly absurd choice for someone that wants a classically styled bike with a moderate riding position for commuting, running up to the local for a pint and a burger, or cruising around the lakes at 35-45 for an afternoon.

The logical choice for someone who finds the almost perfect bike but wants a few more horsepower and a few fewer lbs is to throw a couple grand at it and making it perfectly suit their needs.  It's illogical to buy something completely different from what they want just because it has something the almost perfect bike doesn't have but can easily be added. It's like selling your dream house to move into an aging doublewide because you don't like the color of the carpet. ;D

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #122 on: April 02, 2021, 05:51:02 pm
No thrashing intended, just offering a bit of perspective!  ;D
Logically, an used jap sport bike is excessive for what most riders can legally do with it, making even it an emotional choice. In the developed world, riding a motor cycle is almost always an emotional decision.

Having said that, the logic argument falls apart for another reason. The person trying to apply "logic" is looking at things from an illogical perspective. They're tying to apply their priorities to someone else's decisions. Wanting "more performance" doesn't mean "most performance". If that was the case, the argument would be to buy a BMW S1000RRM, which is an utterly absurd choice for someone that wants a classically styled bike with a moderate riding position for commuting, running up to the local for a pint and a burger, or cruising around the lakes at 35-45 for an afternoon.

The logical choice for someone who finds the almost perfect bike but wants a few more horsepower and a few fewer lbs is to throw a couple grand at it and making it perfectly suit their needs.  It's illogical to buy something completely different from what they want just because it has something the almost perfect bike doesn't have but can easily be added. It's like selling your dream house to move into an aging doublewide because you don't like the color of the carpet. ;D

All good points but I'd suggest that if you live in a developed country, i.e. one where a motorcycle is considered a sporting device as opposed to a country where they're used for basic transportation, very few motorcycle related decisions are based on logic. Hell, I'm 67 and have been riding for 54 years. I've yet to base a single decision related to riding on logic. ;) ;) ;)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #123 on: April 02, 2021, 06:52:51 pm
My motorcycle modification logic starts and stops where my passion impinges on the supply of my basic needs such as food and shelter ;).
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #124 on: April 02, 2021, 07:09:51 pm
My motorcycle modification logic starts and stops where my passion impinges on the supply of my basic needs such as food and shelter ;).

Your logic is impeccable sir.  ;)

"I've made a lot of money in my life, a lot of which I spent on motorcycles, the rest I wasted on food and shelter." ANON.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #125 on: April 02, 2021, 07:15:14 pm
OK guys, once again, breathe deep, then back away from the keyboards and ride your motorcycles.  It always helps. 8)

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #126 on: April 02, 2021, 07:44:04 pm
That's why I enjoy  this forum so much.  Great comments.

And we are all old enough to remember Clockwork Orange!
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: April 02, 2021, 08:13:42 pm
OK guys, once again, breathe deep, then back away from the keyboards and ride your motorcycles.  It always helps. 8)

That was my game plan but it's too wet, too cold and too windy to ride here today. So I'm killing my time while waiting for the paint to dry on a honey-do project, by virtually flapping my gums. ;)

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #128 on: April 02, 2021, 11:35:18 pm

Does anybody in any motorcycle forum actually ride?  According to some, we're all pimply millenials posting from our mom's basement!

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #129 on: April 03, 2021, 12:35:17 am
Does anybody in any motorcycle forum actually ride?  According to some, we're all pimply millenials posting from our mom's basement!

Gentlemen to bed, for tomorrow we ride. (Leaving at 2pm-ish)

https://youtu.be/K8BPP4ASQWo

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #130 on: April 03, 2021, 01:28:52 am

Sunday morning 8 AM Putnam diner in Pawling NY, be there or be square. 8)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #131 on: April 08, 2021, 12:44:26 am
Millennials are in their 30s. You know you're getting old when 30 year olds are punk kids. ;)

I think the term you're looking for is Gen Z. But that might be zombies for all I know.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #132 on: April 08, 2021, 01:36:45 am
+1!!!!!!!!  I'm pretty sure I've come across a couple, three on this forum. ::)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:40:16 am by Jack Straw »

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #133 on: April 09, 2021, 01:21:36 am
Millennials are in their 30s. You know you're getting old when 30 year olds are punk kids. ;)

I think the term you're looking for is Gen Z. But that might be zombies for all I know.

Hell, I was being kind. Pretty sure we're mostly a bunch of wrinkly Boomers.

But Aye, Lads, to bed! For we rise at daybreak!

and then pee and go back to bed for a couple of hours to let the Aleve kick in

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
Reply #134 on: April 09, 2021, 03:12:41 am
There are millennials amongst you.... But they're busy playing motorcycle racing games on their phones....

While the boomers wait for the Aleve, we'll be drinking fancy coffee and while you remember what bikes were like in the 60s, we try to capture what we imagine they were like. Skateboarding feels more dangerous now, so I ride to get that feeling back. I haven't loved riding anything this much since I was 20!
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red