Author Topic: Turn over,freeing pistons  (Read 4684 times)

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 05:35:00 pm
Ah, now that you say it... It's always easier to read, than to write ;)
I'm from Germany by the way. :)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 06:20:42 pm
Your English is good, I can't speak a word of German. Nice to meet you. The international aspect of this forum is almost as fun as the motorcycles.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 09:32:16 pm
Thanks,it's getting better little by little. It's easier to learn today, with a lot of shows, movies, videos, books etc. available through the internet, and multi-language DVDs... and forums! 8)
Only one catch: I tend to mix up British and American English quite a bit ;D

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 11:23:10 am
A partial clue is in the spell-checker, you will find wiggly red lines appearing under British English spellings on forums (fora?) using American software. "Divided by a common language" as an Irishman once wrote...

Mudguard/Fender*

Gudgeon pin/Wrist pin

Tyre/Tire

Gearbox sprocket/Counter-shaft sprocket

Colour/Color, etc...

A.

* I sincerely hope that there is some automotive component somewhere, maybe the mythical warble-flange bracket, for which the American English is "Gibson", in the interest of fairness, of course.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 02:53:23 am
Finally got the correct socket,thanks group.I am mainly concerned with preserving the conrods.I ordered new bearings to keep motivated,but my first attempt to turn the motor resulted in freeind the sproket nut.I got second place and a participation trophy so far,no free pistons tho...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 12:28:05 pm
As said: Try some heat to the barrels, light force from the top of the pistons and a lot of soaking with creep oil.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 09:53:31 pm
As said: Try some heat to the barrels, light force from the top of the pistons and a lot of soaking with creep oil.

Not familiar with creep oil but PB Blaster is the best penetrating oil I've found.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 05:00:19 pm
Is the head off? If so, a pic of the bores will reveal just how rotten/seized the problem is.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Mike flanagan

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 03:24:51 pm
No,not free yet.But sea foam deep creep and heat finally moved them.Dumb question,how far can i pound these lovingly til i reach the bottom of the stoke?I do not want to pound at the bottom of the stroke.They are not moving easily.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 05:48:58 pm
About the same hight as there are fins on the barrels. The Pistons move into the case even further, but I wouldn't risk it. Once you are down there, you should be able to pull the barrels as far as the pistons have moved, put some piece of wood beneath them and continue on the pistons.
Andreas

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: March 15, 2020, 01:09:33 pm
What I did once (with a single), was to make a sturdy (5 mm or more) steel plate that fits over the studs, put wooden block between the plate and the pistons, an tighten down, bit by bit (don't exagerate: time and patience are half the work).

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 03:26:47 pm
Classic Motorcycle december 1995

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 02:32:13 pm
Well Mike, how is it going? Im interested in how the piston freeing is going.