Author Topic: engine polish  (Read 884 times)

dur65geo

• Scooter
on: March 17, 2024, 06:46:40 pm
I ran into a fellow RE owner who recommended Summer Shine Strictly Metal Polish for my engine.  Has anyone ever used this?

https://www.summershinesupply.com/products/strictly-metal-polish
2023 INT650 Sunset Strip

danketchpel

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 04:26:25 am
I hadn't seen that polish before. I looked at their website, sound great as usual. I can't find any online reviews of it and not sure how widespread it's use is.

In searching metal polish reviews it seems to me Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish comes in 1st or 2nd in most of them. It's what I've been using for some time though I'm keen to try new ones that look promising. Another that seems more heavy duty that had good marks was "The Chemical Guys" Heavy Metal Polish. I've used Flitz but the version I used was more aggressive meant for Stainless Steel etc and it worked well for that.

BTW, Mothers works very well on plastics also. I've used it for various plastic polishing projects, tail light lenses etc. I actually discovered that when using it for an industrial application to polish machined acrylic optical lenses.

Here's 2 of the better reviews I found.

https://www.motor1.com/products-services/auto-products/best-aluminum-polish/

https://metalprofy.com/aluminum/best-aluminum-polishes/
2020 RE Intercepter 650
2012 RE Classic 500
2021 Guzzi V7 850 Special
2019 Kawi Z900RS
2016 Bonneville T-120
Plus some ADV/Scrambler/Dual Sport bikes

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 10:23:12 am
I tried the aforementioned Mother's product on my INT's side covers but had much better results with 'Meguires Motorcycle All Metal Polish'. Quicker and better results and the Meguires seems to leave a bit of protection that reduces the oxidation process to an extent. I polish the side cases and valve cover twice a year and use S100 oil spray on said parts before winter storage.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 07:36:16 pm
I hadn't seen that polish before. I looked at their website, sound great as usual. I can't find any online reviews of it and not sure how widespread it's use is.

In searching metal polish reviews it seems to me Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish comes in 1st or 2nd in most of them. It's what I've been using for some time though I'm keen to try new ones that look promising. Another that seems more heavy duty that had good marks was "The Chemical Guys" Heavy Metal Polish. I've used Flitz but the version I used was more aggressive meant for Stainless Steel etc and it worked well for that.

BTW, Mothers works very well on plastics also. I've used it for various plastic polishing projects, tail light lenses etc. I actually discovered that when using it for an industrial application to polish machined acrylic optical lenses.

Here's 2 of the better reviews I found.

https://www.motor1.com/products-services/auto-products/best-aluminum-polish/

https://metalprofy.com/aluminum/best-aluminum-polishes/

Took a look at the motor1. Mothers may be great but the article is just a l manufactured link bait machine for the Amazon affiliate commission.  If I was as nefarious as these type of people, you simply work out what brand is selling best already and then make up an article recommending that with your affiliate links. You can’t believe what you read, hear or see these days unfortunately
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Graham B

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 07:46:38 pm
Another vote for Meguires.
Past rides
Honda C70, CB125, GL1000, GL1100, GL1200, GL1500
Suzuki GT250, GS400
Triumph Tiger 750 (Meriden)
Yamaha XS750

Current rides
Honda GL1500 Goldwing
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 10:23:10 am
I've used purple metal polish.  It's ok, wouldn't buy it again tho. It's a bit hyped up I reckon

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 11:37:50 am
Simichrome or plain old rubbing compound has always worked well for me.

Gone in 60

• Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor 650 - Vindaloo
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 03:56:52 pm
My go-to is Blue Magic, available on the shelf at Walmart and Amazon, etc.

Great for aluminum engine cases, chrome, and is the only product that quickly and easily removes gold and blue coloration on my Honda and Triumph header pipes.
'21 Interceptor 650
'12 Bonneville T100
'13 CB1100

FastFreddie

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 07:40:00 pm
I use Autosol Metal Polish, and I’m pretty satisfied with the results

Tuh

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 07:55:22 pm
How do you all apply these? I tried by hand and it gers shinyer but not mirrorlike, and all dried up water droplets are still a bit visible.
My DAP machine it too big, and i do not have a real good extension for my screwing machine

YellowDuck

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 04:37:40 pm
I use Autosol Metal Polish, and I’m pretty satisfied with the results

Ditto.  I do the cases with this one rainy day per year.  They look like new.