Author Topic: 3D-printed Beeline Moto mount rev1  (Read 11802 times)

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #30 on: January 23, 2022, 09:30:09 pm
So I took a crack at this and even printed a couple of prototypes, but the limited space in there and the angles involved mean you can't really fit a Beeline there. You could raise the mounting area above the ignition assembly, but at that point it isn't really going to look or function any better than mounting it on the bars with one of Beeline's out-of-the-box mounts.

Good on you Cube 👍

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #31 on: March 12, 2022, 03:52:47 am
Hey thanks for creating this Cube!

Is it safe for me to use the 'processed' option (on Shapeways) to smooth the surface, if I'm printing the tapped version? I'm afraid it might affect the threads.

Also, what units should I be using on the site?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 04:31:20 am by napkinsketcher »

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 12, 2022, 04:36:15 am
I wonder if you could design one that would put it in the little recess to the right or left of the ignition, under the clocks for of us GT folks with tight front fairings.
Not sure if you have seen this but here is mine mounted.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: March 12, 2022, 05:22:20 am

Do you have a list of parts for this method? I'm willing to give both ways a shot!

Ruddigger

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: March 12, 2022, 07:53:01 am

Nice work. I saw the original thread, Ideola’s I think. I dont have a beeline yet, but I’m considering a few alternative mounting solutions for when I do.
2022 650GT Mr Clean

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 12, 2022, 03:16:01 pm
Do you have a list of parts for this method? I'm willing to give both ways a shot!
I bought a ‘U’ bolt from the hardware store, used the flat piece with two holes and discarded the ‘U’. Drilled it out one end a touch so the triple clamp bolt would pass through.
Then connected the other side to the stock Beeline mount.

Cube

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: March 13, 2022, 12:14:09 pm
Is it safe for me to use the 'processed' option (on Shapeways) to smooth the surface, if I'm printing the tapped version? I'm afraid it might affect the threads.

Also, what units should I be using on the site?

I don't really know -- it would have more to do with their process than with the model. I don't see "processed" as an option but I do see "smooth," which is them using a chemical vapor to slightly melt the surface. I would think it might well melt the threads.

Great point on the units. The model is natively in mm. If you upload using the 3MF format, it will automatically use the correct units.

I feel like Shapeways has raised their prices a bit since the last time I quoted this design. Like everyone else, I suppose.

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: March 13, 2022, 05:29:04 pm
I don't really know -- it would have more to do with their process than with the model. I don't see "processed" as an option but I do see "smooth," which is them using a chemical vapor to slightly melt the surface. I would think it might well melt the threads.

Great point on the units. The model is natively in mm. If you upload using the 3MF format, it will automatically use the correct units.

I feel like Shapeways has raised their prices a bit since the last time I quoted this design. Like everyone else, I suppose.

The option appears for the "versatile" plastic- which I kept as white since I plan to sand it and spray-paint it.

Yeah, I'm surprised by these prices! I remember getting something of a similar size printed years ago for way less than $80!

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #38 on: March 13, 2022, 05:30:07 pm
I bought a ‘U’ bolt from the hardware store, used the flat piece with two holes and discarded the ‘U’. Drilled it out one end a touch so the triple clamp bolt would pass through.
Then connected the other side to the stock Beeline mount.

I grab these and try it out, thanks Jess!

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: March 13, 2022, 07:13:13 pm
Here is a better look at it installed. I did use a grinder to round the edges a bit.

napkinsketcher

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: March 13, 2022, 07:18:15 pm
Here is a better look at it installed. I did use a grinder to round the edges a bit.

Thanks, do you recall the size of the camp?

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 13, 2022, 08:24:54 pm
Thanks, do you recall the size of the camp?
Sorry, no.

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
Reply #42 on: March 13, 2022, 08:31:57 pm
Sorry, no.
You could try using the one that holds the clip-ons to the triple clamp. If you are lucky they might fit.
Ice Queen for sale in Spain (Was: Riding my Ice Queen through Spain).

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: March 13, 2022, 10:08:49 pm

Jess I have to say thats a terrible installation. Looks like a 6mm bolt with 8mm or 5/16 washers but the methodology for attaching the vertical bracket is a piece of bad engineering. You should never try and use the pinch gap on the triple clamp or any other clamp pinch gap to mount something like this because it's virtually impossible to get both components correctly tensioned. If you get the bracket held tight you'll compromise the clamping grip on the triple clamp and vis versa . A poor engineering option and one I'd personally never use. You would be much better off using a longer clamp bolt with a bush and mounting the bracket between the bolt head and the bush, with the bush then used to impart the clamping load on the triple clamp.

Ciao   
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 14, 2022, 03:04:01 am
You could try using the one that holds the clip-ons to the triple clamp. If you are lucky they might fit.
That is where the idea came from. I don't remember who, but someone posted that they used exactly that to mount theirs.