Author Topic: Tyre Life  (Read 3486 times)

Dharmabum

• Scooter
on: December 01, 2019, 02:59:40 am
Have had the Interceptor since April  and have just clocked  7500 kliometers (4,687 miles ) I am pedantic with tyre pressures and always keep them at 32 front and 36 psi rear. No pillions ever. Just did 3500ks over ten days and to my surprise the rear tyre is down to the wear indicator. Not impressed by the life of the Pirelli rear tyre.  Bike was built to a price point and that may be reflected in the tyre. Any suggestions for a replacement that will last at least double what I have got with the Pirelli.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 09:01:59 am
People rave about the longevity of Avon AM26.  I was about to pull the trigger on a pair but I read enough about them not being the stickiest tyre around so I'll go for the oem Sport Demon (CGT single, here)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

rmdba

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 09:53:45 am
I was talking to my local dealer (not an RE dealer) about tyre choices, and he mentioned Metzeler Lasertec - he said they'd been original fitment on some Moto Guzzis. He also me mentioned MIchelin Pilot Activ. I don't have any eperience with either of these - does anyone else? What do people think?

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 10:57:42 am
I have Lasertecs on my old Ducati. They look period and handle really well. But OMG I swear that the back one is wearing out sitting still. Seriously, I've done less than 3000km  on it and it's 3/4 gone. The front is wearing well though. I'll probably get another one but only because it matches the front and it's nice to ride on. Jeezus that thing is wearing out fast. 
Bridgestone battlaxe bt45 seems to wear OK.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 01:09:33 pm
Wow...."tire discussion"  (argument)

Probably another topic with no definite resolution....where every rider has his or her own (strong) opinion!

"performance" tires just don't last long....it is a trade off between grip and wear...good grip..wear fast.  Long lasting...less grip.

Track racers only get a day out of tires.

Someone below mentioned Avon...I use these on all my bikes when it comes time to replace 
the OEM tires.  To me, good balance of grip, wear, and cost.  There are so many good choices out there...do your research, make the wisest decision you can (based on your particular riding style and desires) ....have fun!

One of the hidden costs in motorcycle ownership is tire cost....they need frequent replacement...just the way it is.

Cookie

Have had the Interceptor since April  and have just clocked  7500 kliometers (4,687 miles ) I am pedantic with tyre pressures and always keep them at 32 front and 36 psi rear. No pillions ever. Just did 3500ks over ten days and to my surprise the rear tyre is down to the wear indicator. Not impressed by the life of the Pirelli rear tyre.  Bike was built to a price point and that may be reflected in the tyre. Any suggestions for a replacement that will last at least double what I have got with the Pirelli.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 01:46:21 pm
The Dunlop K70 tires that I installed on my Bullet 500 seem to be wearing a lot faster than I had expected on that light and slow motorcycle.  They are about half shot after only 2000 miles.  If anyone finds a long-wearing bias-ply tire that is not a Michelin 880 Marathon (which will outlast you, but have the coefficient of Teflon), let me know.  ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 03:02:26 pm
Just my personal opinion.....I like Avon AM26 Roadrider.  To me, good combination of grip, wear, and cost.  Many good reviews on the net.

They do come in
90 90 19
and
120 80 18

Which I think is was is used on Bullet...

Cookie

The Dunlop K70 tires that I installed on my Bullet 500 seem to be wearing a lot faster than I had expected on that light and slow motorcycle.  They are about half shot after only 2000 miles.  If anyone finds a long-wearing bias-ply tire that is not a Michelin 880 Marathon (which will outlast you, but have the coefficient of Teflon), let me know.  ???

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 10:30:02 am
The Dunlop K70 tires that I installed on my Bullet 500 seem to be wearing a lot faster than I had expected on that light and slow motorcycle.  They are about half shot after only 2000 miles. 

Sounds about right.  But they handle well, they're inexpensive... and, just look at 'em! 

re_vee_kay

• Neophyte
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 05:21:21 pm

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 10:07:26 pm
It is sometimes informative to total up your actual costs per mile/km based on your actual useage.

Quite often tire wear and fuel make up about 25% of a rider per mile/km cost and the other 75% is depreciation, registration and insurance.  :D

For example if a brand new $20,000 motorcycle depreciates 10% a year and is ridden just 2000 miles a year -  the cost per mile of the depreciation alone is $1 per mile which makes fuel and tire costs somewhat irrelevant.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:11:29 pm by GlennF »

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 11:17:45 pm
If a brand new $20,000 motorcycle depreciates 10% a year

$20K bike guys should be few and far between on this forum.  Even the Carberry Double Barrel, which is basically handmade, can be had for around $12K.

To your point though, I found the basic depreciation curve that applies, more or less, to all motor vehicles published on the web someplace.  Precipitous value reduction at first, then flattening out, until at age 16 - 20 years the curve bottoms out and is a flat line for a few years, then starts coming back up, never rising as steeply as it dipped initially, but nevertheless climbing.  Definitely not a linear function.