Author Topic: Alloy rim scrape remedy?  (Read 804 times)

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
on: August 23, 2023, 09:12:44 am
My rear alloy rim has been scored during a recent tyre fitting at my 'go to' motorcycle dealer. I've spoken with the principal who is also head mechanic and he says he could try to rub it out with fine grades of emery before polishing it.
Q: Could I maybe use (wet) fine wet/dry sandpaper and then polish?
Q: Am I better off just leaving the rim as is?

I feel emery would be too abrasive and I'm not sure if these rims are anodised or not.
Attached is the worst of 5 scores on the right side of the rear wheel alone.
Riding a motorcycle is like life; it's about the journey not the destination.

GT DAVE

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 11:41:30 am
My rear alloy rim has been scored during a recent tyre fitting at my 'go to' motorcycle dealer. I've spoken with the principal who is also head mechanic and he says he could try to rub it out with fine grades of emery before polishing it.
Q: Could I maybe use (wet) fine wet/dry sandpaper and then polish?
Q: Am I better off just leaving the rim as is?

I feel emery would be too abrasive and I'm not sure if these rims are anodised or not.
Attached is the worst of 5 scores on the right side of the rear wheel alone.

Number 1, get rid of your tyre fitter as they have no idea of what they're doing if they can f%*k up a rim like they have!!
I would use wet and dry in a few grades starting with a medium perhaps (as it's hard to judge how bad the gouges are) and then progress to a finer grade and then maybe a fine scotchbrite pad and end with Autosol or similar metal polish.
Good luck ( and I still don't know how to give a thumbs up!)

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 11:49:53 am
Yeah Dave, my sentiments exactly; if they can do that gouge without evn trying, how much damage with emery paper?!. I've got some fine wet/dry paper here and I'll soak it for 1/4 hr and try floating a very small piece to 'test the water'.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 12:13:01 pm by GUNR »

GT DAVE

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 12:09:55 pm
Yeah Dave, my sentiments exactly; if they can do that gouge it without evn trying, how much damage with emery paper?!. I've got some fine wet/dry paper here and I'll soak it for 1/4 hr and try floating a very small piece to 'test the water'.

Hey mate, I've just been going through some of your previous posts and you've had a bit of work to do! I couldn't believe the rust on the battery strap etc. Poor bike must have lived in the surf at whatever beach!! I've just picked mine up about a month ago so still rectifying rubbish quality factory items as you are i.e. drive chain (knackered at 5000kms) and trying to find specs on the primary as I want to buy local and have access to quality chain here. Inlet/exhaust valves to be done and a future conversion to carby as I've got a few Dellorto 32mm ones lying around from other bike mods. I'll keep an eye on your progress if you don't mind as I'm sure there will be things in common coming up.
Cheers,  :)

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 12:19:32 pm
No worries mate. I'm watching your progress with interest as well. I've got a lot to learn about these machines. If it's not one thing, it's another. We're all here to help each other (especially if you can source a duplex primary chain in Oz that's equivalent to a Renold.

GT DAVE

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 03:58:57 am
 :)

GT DAVE

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 04:25:00 am
No worries mate. I'm watching your progress with interest as well. I've got a lot to learn about these machines. If it's not one thing, it's another. We're all here to help each other (especially if you can source a duplex primary chain in Oz that's equivalent to a Renold.

Hey GUNR, how have you gone with the rim restore? I got onto Renold Australia about the primary chain who advised me they do not make motorcycle chains anymore. When I advised them that chains are available in England they contacted Renold GB and were given a quote to supply for $488 AUD!! Even they were shocked! At the moment they are chasing up the pricing to verify it and I am waiting to hear of any development. I will post as soon as I know. The Australian agent rang me and said he couldn't help or even tell me the specs of the chain so it seems everyone is keeping these a closely guarded secret!!!  What a pain in the arse, try to source local and all you get is brick walls. 

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2023, 01:15:15 pm
I haven't done anything about the scrapes yet as I've been making improvements to the bike, but I'll report back when I give it a go. As for the primary chain, I included a Renold one in my most recent order from H; if you've got other stuff to fill the carton, it makes it worthwhile.

I met up with some of the guys from the club and out of the 5 of us, 3 were called Dave (yep, I'm a Dave too). We must be ubiquitous. ;)