Author Topic: 650 Interceptor rims fitted to a GT 535?  (Read 183 times)

Marty McFly

• Legend in my own lunchbox
  • Scooter
  • 2016 GT 535. Fixing bike and relearning to ride...
on: March 20, 2024, 01:29:20 am
Sorry, this is another "can this part designed for another bike fit mine?" question...

The Interceptor rims are a 1/2" wider, which allows for a wider range of tyres and are actually a better width for the stock GT 535 tyres in the brands I've looked at.

I'm interested in whether they could be laced onto the GT 535 hubs. Particularly the rear rim. I'm guessing that the spoke nipple dimples "probably" line up. And that there is even a chance that the same spoke length can be used. I haven't found anything from someone who has tried it though.

I've read a lot of posts regarding opinions on tyres. Which brand, change to 17", don't change to 17", why to use wider, why not to use wider, if it's for looks your an idiot, etc etc...

Yes, I'm partial to the look of a tyre that is a little wider. The new (cheap as chips but needing lots of love) family shopping bike, a GPX 200, is getting on for half the weight and has wider tyres.

But I'm particularly interested in the wider range of choices for tyres as I'm having trouble just finding a pair to replace the extremely dangerous, worn out, squared off, age hardened, cracked garbage that the previous owner put up with. My recent mountain ride was an exercise in throttle control as, even at my very low speed and lack of lean, the rear kept trying to squirm out from under me...

I'd love to change the rear to a 17" for the plethora of tyre choices available. But besides having to figure out the spoke length for whatever rim I ended up with (probably "racing boy" if from Thailand. A name that engenders confidence...), I'd have to pay a LOT of tax to get custom ones imported (I think it ends up being at least 80% and a lot more if it came by FedEx or the customs officer wasn't lucky the previous night).

Sadly, buying a high quality professionally built wheel from overseas would cost as much as the bike. So I'm looking for the cheap ass way to get an incremental improvement. And I'm willing to learn how to lace the wheel myself regardless of how many attempts it takes... :)

Marty

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 01:59:36 am by Marty McFly »

Marty McFly

• Legend in my own lunchbox
  • Scooter
  • 2016 GT 535. Fixing bike and relearning to ride...
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 11:54:00 am
Had a look at photos of the 650 rear rim and it looks like the spokes are more staggered. So I'm probably dreaming that I could use the stock 535 spokes.

It does appear that it's an MT style rim which would be good if I end up trying a tubeless "conversion".

I'll dream about the possibilities for a while as I will have to leave my bike and go to help a couple of friends and get some minimum wage work for months. Bugger.

Marty