Author Topic: Triumph enters MX and Enduro  (Read 1184 times)

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
on: July 22, 2021, 07:32:03 am
This is really interesting news if not gobb smacking ,Triumph have announced they plan to build MX and Enduro bikes, they have the likes of Ricky Carmichael multiple AMA Supercross and MX champ helping develop the bikes. Watch this space , i cant wait to see what comes of this

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 05:33:17 pm
I guess the real question is which Chinese KTM/SWM knockoff motor will power their effort? Frame development & suspension change all the time, but the Chinese clones are cheap & make adequate power. I'm betting Triumph just outsources the whole production end, running the competition teams for R&D and publicity purposes.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/for-the-ride/racing/official-announcement-mx-enduro
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 02:34:39 am
To come out and be competitive with the big four from Japan and KTM will take some doing, they sure will have their work cut out for them, I wish them luck.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 03:51:37 am
To come out and be competitive with the big four from Japan and KTM will take some doing, they sure will have their work cut out for them, I wish them luck.

You took the words right out of my mouth. While I wish Triumph nothing but the best, the big four, not to mention KTM, Husky, Beta and Gas-Gas have set a very high bar. The worst of them are so good that it's almost silly to think a company without any current off-road experiance could hope to compete. If Triumph can build a competitive MX bike I might be tempted to buy one and race the super senior class.
The attached is my last Triumph MX bike, #705, a T25 engine in a Cheney frame, it was the first bike I ever scored a win on!

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 07:42:31 am
I guess the real question is which Chinese KTM/SWM knockoff motor will power their effort?

I reckon Bajaj, it's their Indian "partner".

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 09:26:41 am
You took the words right out of my mouth. While I wish Triumph nothing but the best, the big four, not to mention KTM, Husky, Beta and Gas-Gas have set a very high bar. The worst of them are so good that it's almost silly to think a company without any current off-road experiance could hope to compete. If Triumph can build a competitive MX bike I might be tempted to buy one and race the super senior class.
The attached is my last Triumph MX bike, #705, a T25 engine in a Cheney frame, it was the first bike I ever scored a win on!
awesome action shot picture of back in the day, in respect of the new potential triumph off road bikes all I can say is I hope to see something one day  , as of at this point we can't even see a concept drawing or prototype photo yet , long road ahead
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:29:06 am by Mr_84 »

nicholastanguma

• Bulleteer
  • Los Angeles, San Francisco
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 10:25:30 am
I reckon Bajaj, it's their Indian "partner".

Wouldn't be surprised at all.  It's a bitter irony that modern mass manufacture motorcycles are technically proficient at levels yesteryear's engineers only dreamed of, but because modern mass manufacture motorcycles must be global products in order to be profitable they've got almost no national soul left.  A Triumph these days is a Thai or Indian bike, for instance, and a Matchless is a Chinese powered bike, a Jawa is an Indian bike, and etc etc.  As far I can think of at this moment, I think only Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, and Indian still retain their national identities in the mass manufacture arena.  Speaking of Indians, Royal Enfield is doing a terrific job of building their own national identity, I hope they can somehow manage to avoid going Chinese in the future.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 01:32:19 pm
I doubt Triumph will outsource the design, though where they manufacture the bikes will be anybodies guess. Current MX bikes are just to complicated and the class is so competitive that something like a hole shot device that's not as easy to engage as another manufacturers means a bike goes from first place in a shoot out to last. I'm not a huge MX fan, but I follow it enough to know that the technology literally evolves from race to race.

I think Triumph has thier work cut out for them, but hiring Carmichal to help develop the thing is a good first move. If nothing else he'll be able to tell them if the basic package is viable. It'll be interesting to see if they go for a 250 or 450 and whose suspension they'll chose. Kayaba? Ohlins? WP? The future is bright.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 02:37:35 pm
So will Triumph be bringing back the 200 Tiger Cub or the 445 Victim dirt bikes?  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 04:38:20 pm
Don't forget the Cub was a very competitive Short track and scrambles bike, especially wihen ridden by guys like Gary Nixon and Yvon Duhamel (who also road raced one). Jeff Smith on the factory BSA won two world MX chanmpionships with a varient of the 441 Victor, (1964-1965) and I think he and John Banks were runners up with them a couple of times.

History aside I'm sure what ever Triumph comes up with will mimic and hopefully improve upon the current state of the art MX bikes. The filed is so close anything less than a maximum effort would be laughed off the track. I'm just as curious to see who they'll hire to ride the factory bikes. There's no shortage of young up and comers, and a few experianced guys tht will looking for seats during the silly season.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 12:09:30 am
Here is a link to an article published by Revzilla regarding this subject: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/triumph-to-launch-motocross-and-enduro-race-bike-lines
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1