Author Topic: Homebuilt Diesel Motorcycle - $2,500 (Coeur d Alene)  (Read 749 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
https://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/d/coeur-alene-diesel-motorcycle/7310682977.html
This is a very cool and unique bike. I built it in 2015 and have been riding it every year since. It is based on a '72 Honda XL250 frame. It has a Yanmar 400cc diesel engine. With the proper gearing (number of teeth on the small sprocket) it will do 56 mph. I have it geared a little lower right now because i live in a hilly area and that works better for me. I have more sprockets. The engine was new when installed, and is far better than the junk Chinese clones out there that are cheaper. They have inferior alloys, bearings, valves, and other parts. They may look the same but don't be fooled. A new Yanmar costs about $2500 and is worth it. You would be getting a whole bike for that much.
It has a continuously variable transmission, and gets 120 mpg.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Nitrowing

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 12:10:15 pm
That's quite a find - I'd have it for the novelty value  8)
No wonder we no longer have a motor industry

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 01:35:34 pm
Now there's a bike will take you to the end of the world; literally. I don't have a lot of Yanmar experience but they do have a great reputation.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 03:08:20 pm
That looks like a good effort. Back in 07/08 there was a couple of members that converted their bullets to diesel to "Go to the ends of the world". They were never heard from again. ;D
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

TrianglePete

• Bulleteer
  • U.S. Spec RE parts & THE FIN intake.
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 04:22:41 pm
https://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/d/coeur-alene-diesel-motorcycle/7310682977.html
This is a very cool and unique bike. I built it in 2015 and have been riding it every year since. It is based on a '72 Honda XL250 frame. It has a Yanmar 400cc diesel engine. With the proper gearing (number of teeth on the small sprocket) it will do 56 mph. I have it geared a little lower right now because i live in a hilly area and that works better for me. I have more sprockets. The engine was new when installed, and is far better than the junk Chinese clones out there that are cheaper. They have inferior alloys, bearings, valves, and other parts. They may look the same but don't be fooled. A new Yanmar costs about $2500 and is worth it. You would be getting a whole bike for that much.
It has a continuously variable transmission, and gets 120 mpg.

I  love the Yanmar power plant in a bike.     I might run it on vegetable oil     Oh No   maybe a teenie  turbo ???

You Go !!