Author Topic: 07 Deluxe fix-up project, ongoing questions inside  (Read 42636 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #150 on: July 16, 2019, 12:44:56 am
       The Parts Catalog has no coverage of the decompressor type that he has that's in the head. It only covers the type such that I had in my 2008 (Pg. 16) which runs a cable down to the tappet cover where it's attached to a through shaft with an attached cam that rotates and jams against the exhaust valve pushrod and holds it in the open position.

Must be a later AVL Spare Parts Catalog you have. The Iron Barrel in-head decompressor assembly is shown in Group 02-50 'Cylinder Head' of my May 2003 one (Part 142145), pages 44 & 45 as items 22 through 31. The cable is shown elsewhere along with the others, but I see no sign of that cable end split ferrule doodad, nor the (identical?) one my '05 also has at the throttle.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:54:39 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #151 on: July 16, 2019, 11:40:50 am
OK, from the Indian domestic "Combined Spare Parts Catalog(ue) Retired Models", Dec. 2013 update.

Section 08-10 Handlebar and Controls

Item 13 in the parts drawing, part number 560116/A Ferrule (De compressor)

Shown as being used on both K/S and E/S models - good hunting.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #152 on: July 16, 2019, 12:17:34 pm
Must be a later AVL Spare Parts Catalog you have. The Iron Barrel in-head decompressor assembly is shown in Group 02-50 'Cylinder Head' of my May 2003 one (Part 142145), pages 44 & 45 as items 22 through 31. The cable is shown elsewhere along with the others, but I see no sign of that cable end split ferrule doodad, nor the (identical?) one my '05 also has at the throttle.

Yes, we have different catalogs.

As far as the ferrule goes, it's Item 10 Part #560116/a and it's on Page 76/77 of my catalog. As Adrian sez, the part is out there and it's the same, it's just different Item numbers and different pages.

I've had a spare on the shelf for years now because in the early years of me raping the bike and making it mine, I lost it. So I ordered two. From Tim. He didn't charge me shipping  :) :) :)

The ferrule for the throttle side is a different Part#. I don't know why. They must be different.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:35:08 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #153 on: July 16, 2019, 01:04:50 pm
After another closer look at my Spares Catalog I now see in 07-10 'Handle Bar and Controls', pages 122 & 123, an item 15 styled as "Bush (Throttle Cable Stop)", Part  143314. Still no clear sign of one for the decompressor cable, but there is an item 22 in the listings styled simply as "Ferrule", Part 560116 that is shown nowhere in the diagram. It is indicated as being suitable for 500cc 5 Speeds with Electric Start.

On my bike, the two parts seem more or less identical, so maybe those part numbers will help our man find something more reasonably priced than the options shown here thus far ($28 shipping? Really?) that'll get him rolling again without scorched fingers.

Just a quick googling reveals that a "Ferrule throttle stop Minda control" Part 143314 can be had for the princely sum of exactly one pound from PricePart Motorcycles in England with 4.50 First Class shipping to the US of A. Still, that's better than $28. A bit more rummaging around "out there" might beat even that though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:33:56 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #154 on: July 16, 2019, 02:47:50 pm
After another closer look at my Spares Catalog I now see in 07-10 'Handle Bar and Controls', pages 122 & 123, an item 15 styled as "Bush (Throttle Cable Stop)", Part  143314. Still no clear sign of one for the decompressor cable, but there is an item 22 in the listings styled simply as "Ferrule", Part 560116 that is shown nowhere in the diagram. It is indicated as being suitable for 500cc 5 Speeds with Electric Start.

On my bike, the two parts seem more or less identical, so maybe those part numbers will help our man find something more reasonably priced than the options shown here thus far ($28 shipping? Really?) that'll get him rolling again without scorched fingers.

Just a quick googling reveals that a "Ferrule throttle stop Minda control" Part 143314 can be had for the princely sum of exactly one pound from PricePart Motorcycles in England with 4.50 First Class shipping to the US of A. Still, that's better than $28. A bit more rummaging around "out there" might beat even that though.

I see both of those Part #s also in my catalog. 560116/a is called Ferrule (De Compressor). The "a" may be post '99 or some other date. Who knows? I think they're all the same.

The part he needs is 560116/a. Fits the Minda Left Side Switchset.

And to DDavidD: If you read this and want me to, I will send you the ferrule you need. Just give me an address.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 03:00:11 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #155 on: July 17, 2019, 01:05:15 am
I don't know about the part number systems used by Royal Enfield but at the jet engine company I worked for, the letter with the part number indicates the revision status of the drawing the part was made to.

Each drawing receives a change letter when any part of it is changed in any way so a drawing that has been changed 3 times would be up to change letter C.  A part made to that drawing would be marked something like 849330-C.

The revisions cannot change "form, fit or function" so, a "rev C" part will work just like a no change part or a "A" or "B" change part.

These drawing changes could revise the drawing notes or add additional views or do other things like that as long as the revised part was equal to or better than the previous part.

If the "form, fit or function" of the part was effected by the change, the part will be issued a totally new part number and the next higher assembly drawing parts list would be changed to require the new part.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #156 on: July 17, 2019, 04:07:46 am
Thanks for that explanation, Arizoni. The last of the "form, fit or function" criteria would explain why the seemingly identical ferrules used for the throttle and decompressor cables might have different part numbers entirely, and those letters tacked on had me kind of stumped when ordering my own cables.

In Amphicar parts designations one also often finds an "R" or "(R)" tacked on for "Replacement", meaning a substitution for an earlier original part that may no longer be available or for a similar but less costly one.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #157 on: July 17, 2019, 12:45:02 pm
I would suspect that the letter at the end probably indicates a change in supplier of the part if it is not a total design change. Probably several 'cottage industry' suppliers in India that sold hardware to the RE factory for things they need not be bothered with making themselves.

tooseevee you've got mail!

I'm moving on from the decompressor issue to trying to fit my new muffler. It is a UK made shorty from Hitchcock's that comes with a very nice bracket...that doesn't work. Naturally. Bracket is too short and also fouls on the swing arm so I guess I'll need to make my own.

I also got new seals for the transmission/clutch/shifter so can take apart the primary AGAIN (3x I think now) and stop that annoying leak.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #158 on: July 17, 2019, 05:58:23 pm

tooseevee you've got mail!

Nope. It's 1:00PM and no mail yet.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #159 on: July 19, 2019, 12:09:00 pm
You don't have a PM from me?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #160 on: July 19, 2019, 12:31:19 pm

I am not notified of apersonal message waiting for me any more. I used to get an email when I had a PM waiting. No more.

I only just two minutes ago learned from MattZ Forum Improvements that you have to look for a little envelope and click on it.

So that's what I will do as soon as I get back from taking my dog out for her morning dump. I will find the little friggin' envelope and get your address :) :) :)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #161 on: July 19, 2019, 01:37:32 pm

I've searched every message and have clicked on everything there is to click on and can find no personal message from you to me (or ANY PMs).

Give it another try; we'll see.

I'm not Notified any more (long time) of new posts on threads I'm following so maybe PM notification doesn't work any more. I sure as shit don't know. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:45:11 pm by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #162 on: July 19, 2019, 03:07:37 pm

Well, I took a break and just came back (it's 10AM) and looked around again and wonder of wonders there it is at the TOP of the page NOT in the Message Section!

SO. I now have your address and I'll get right on it.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #163 on: July 28, 2019, 01:34:49 pm
I got the cable furrel or whatever it's called. Though it fits fine it isn't long enough to take up the slack. I'd need two of them. Local hardware store didn't have anything, suggested I try a bicycle shop. I'm giving up on using the cable for now; I'll just continue my pushing it manually with my fingers method.

Over the last couple evenings I took the primary apart again (I think this may be the 4th time) and pulled the inner cover off. Replaced the inner shifter shaft seal and also the seal behind the clutch. Somebody was definitely in this thing f*cking it all up because the clutch seal was put in backwards and the gasket was facing the clutch...sealing nothing. The level of ineptitude of whoever touched this thing before me was astronomical. Bear in mind that while I'm a pretty decent car mechanic I've never dove into a bike to the level of this one and have still managed to fix it correctly -- most of the time.

The upside of doing this job multiple times is I can zip through it pretty quickly. I've also mastered a few shortcuts, one of which is this clever tool (named for a faux company of a friend of mine who is always engineering stuff like this).

This is a chunk of one of the bottles of vinegar I used to try to clean the fuel tank out. No more fussing about with feeler gauges!

Buttoned back together I no longer have ANY Type F leaking from the primary case.  I also swear the thing runs better than before. I didn't detect any clutch slippage either.
I still have to attach my Hitchcock's muffler to replace the too-loud Emgo I'm currently using. The supplied bracket is too short. I picked up a length of similar steel at the hardware store yesterday and just have to bend it and drill a couple of holes.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #164 on: August 04, 2019, 08:30:23 pm
Swapped out my Emgo muffler for a 'shorty' pea shooter type from Hitchcock's.
Where did all this power come from??
I can now use 5th gear on flat roads, not just down hills. Amazing! The back pressure difference must be remarkable. I'm curious to have a look at the plug and see what it's burning like. The Emgo was a bit sooty since I added the air filter.