Author Topic: FRONT BRAKE SHOES  (Read 3454 times)

David65

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 05:33:29 pm
As a final throw of the dice as it were today i made a couple of bits to turn the front brake into a RE version of the BSA Comical brake. Just using the std front brake cable reversed , when i pulled it with some pliers it actually seemed to work? Mind that is just in the kitchenette (shhhh) once i get the hub spacer collar sorted i'll get it all back together and give it a try in the back lane, preferably when no one is about! If it works i might do a better job of it for out on the road use.I have had problems with clutch adjustment and the more idelve into the Bullet the bigger a wally the po turns out to seem to be. I suspect that the centre ball bearing is missing from the activating rods etc, but, one job at a time!! Cheers D

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 06:42:14 pm
David, I thought you were sorted on the brake! I think reinventing it is not a good idea. It's been around for ages, you can find the problem. I can't even understand what the problem could be. That thing is so basic, it's like the Kalashnikov of front brakes.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 06:52:42 pm
Congratulations - you've eliminated mechanical advantage and have one shoe lifting from the other side of the cam, altering the balance ratio between them. IMHO it's always better to see how something works when in a stock configuration so you have a known standard of comparison.

You had already made one change by going to "sticky" shoes. This configuration doubles down on that. Is it April First and I missed it?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Seipgam

• BTSCA
  • Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 12:35:05 am
What are you trying to achieve with that setup?
You have halved the leverage on the cams for starters because those levers are only half as long as the original connection point, and getting both shoes to bite at exactly the same time will be near impossible without a solid rod connecting them.

It's not a bad original TLS brake when set up right so why make it worse?

Geoff.
1954 Francis Barnett, Kestrel 66 122cc
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1988 Jawa 638, 350cc

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 01:35:54 pm
That brake modification is dangerous. If you have an accident you are likely to discover that your insurance is invalid.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 01:50:46 pm
David, perhaps you could consult with a local shop about the brake and the clutch.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 11, 2020, 05:11:25 pm
So how did the brake issue play out? Any successes or scars? Enquiring minds need to know.... :)
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

David65

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 03:05:19 pm
Right, just to bring everything up to date and close the theme. Bought new shoes and the cover plate spacer that was missing when i bought the bike. Now all fitted, wheel back in, brakes adjusted (a few times, filing off high spots in between fittings) now ready for testing. I would like to thank everyone for their input during my dilemma's. All very gratefully received. Cheers Dave (Til the next problem raises it's ugly head!)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: October 18, 2020, 07:43:00 pm
My Green standard had aftermarket "MX" levers fitted, and the throw was too short, didn't have enough leverage to properly actuate the brake. Both my machines now use the standard Minda levers for clutch & brake functions. Makes the spares situation much easier to deal with. The HD cables are the way to go, vastly more "solid" than the noodly stock items. You can readily tell the difference in use. 

Bravo on the "high spot" detailing. The shoes will need a tune-up after 1000 miles or so, but I think they settle in after that for normal use. - ACR -

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 18, 2020, 09:50:12 pm
My Green standard had aftermarket "MX" levers fitted, and the throw was too short, didn't have enough leverage to properly actuate the brake. Both my machines now use the standard Minda levers for clutch & brake functions. Makes the spares situation much easier to deal with. The HD cables are the way to go, vastly more "solid" than the noodly stock items. You can readily tell the difference in use. 

Bravo on the "high spot" detailing. The shoes will need a tune-up after 1000 miles or so, but I think they settle in after that for normal use. - ACR -
ACR, When you used the aftermarket lever for the clutch did it also perform badly?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 18, 2020, 10:38:56 pm
Yuppers - the PO's aftermarket add-ons were "shorty" levers - maybe OK offroad if you had a strong brake to start with. With the stock Bullet OEM taconite shoes, they produced a modest suggestion at best. The Mindas are full size levers, longer pull yielding more "ungawa" at the brake arm. On the red bike with the Mindas & H's sticky shoes, it feels like an actual brake is at work. - ACR -

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 12:27:04 am
CyrusB - The stubbie Clutch lever did not have as much "throw" so adjustment had to be tighter, not something I like on a clutch. It DID work, just in a half-fast manner... ;D  - ACR -