Author Topic: What are the current thoughts on Tec bike shocks?  (Read 1298 times)

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
on: April 05, 2021, 08:43:25 pm
I know that Tec Bike shocks had some(?) QC problems and were breaking and leaking.

Wondering what the current thoughts on them are?

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 09:42:15 pm
I don’t know why you would bother with them, given their rep. I love my Hagons - they are plush and the damper control actually works.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 10:33:52 pm
+1 on the Hagons.

jhark37

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 11:40:25 am
I tried a set of Tec shocks.  Fortunately, no cost as another member sent them to me! 
Found them to be firmer than OEM, while I'm looking for softer!   Also, there are 18
click points on the adjuster screw and none of them makes any difference.  All the
same.  So I would say, save your money.

I'm beginning to consider Hagon after reading some of the experiences here.

John

om15

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 12:18:50 pm
As mentioned on the other thread, I have just fitted IKONs from Norman Hyde, I think that they are excellent and seem to have a better manufacturing finish than Hagons, but more expensive. Recommended.
current bikes
 2001 Bonneville 790,  RE Bullet 500 UCE

Previous, RE Classic 500, Classic 350 , RE Himalayan 2019, RE Interceptor 2020.
Triumph Trident 900, 2003 Bonneville 790 , Adventurer 900, T100 Bonneville, Street Twin. Tracer 700.  BSA C15, Yamaha XT500
Retired aircraft engineer South West

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 11:39:59 pm
I ordered the TEC shocks 20mm shorter and softer and except for the benefit of being shorter than the OEM shocks, they are a disaster.  Granted I'm a lightweight (61kg/134#) but the shocks don't compress more than 3/8" when I sit on the bike and over bumps it feels as if they are totally immobile.  I e-mailed TEC-USA twice (waste of time, they never responded) and I had checked on receipt that with the springs off they are able to compress fully.  Presently, I'm searching for softer springs as a possible "fix".  If softer springs have no beneficial effect, it's Hagons for me.

I do like my TEC "Stinger" exhaust a lot. No complaint at all, but their shocks are a totally shoddy product, at least for one of my slight build.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

6504me

• Grand Gearhead
  • SW USA
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 11:45:16 pm
I ordered the TEC shocks 20mm shorter and softer and except for the benefit of being shorter than the OEM shocks, they are a disaster.  Granted I'm a lightweight (61kg/134#) but the shocks don't compress more than 3/8" when I sit on the bike and over bumps it feels as if they are totally immobile.  I e-mailed TEC-USA twice (waste of time, they never responded) and I had checked on receipt that with the springs off they are able to compress fully.  Presently, I'm searching for softer springs as a possible "fix".  If softer springs have no beneficial effect, it's Hagons for me.

I do like my TEC "Stinger" exhaust a lot. No complaint at all, but their shocks are a totally shoddy product, at least for one of my slight build.

Ralph

Hitchcock's has softer springs for the stock RE 650 shocks...

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/43015?ref_page=Interceptor%20650