Author Topic: Battery Issues!  (Read 8528 times)

1stINTinWa

• Scooter
on: March 29, 2020, 08:07:12 am
Hello everyone I waited four years for this bike...been great so far installed LED headlight and Red Rooster Exhaust...DNA filter on it's way! I pre-ordered and received the very first Interceptor in Washington State USA May 15th 2019. Gas cap gasket split and was replaced by the dealer...But a constant issue is the stock battery not starting the bike.  Does anyone know of a battery I can get state side that will work?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:10:53 am by 1stINTinWa »

Roshiba777

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 08:59:51 am
Earlier batteries have problem with battery discharge so company has changed the batteries in new bikes from Exide to Amaron
Royal Enfield CI 500 (2000)
Royal Enfield STD UCE 500 (2010)
Royal Enfield Classic 500 (2011)
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 (2011)
Yamaha RD350 (1988)
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 (2019)

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 11:57:03 am

My 2020 has Exide...

Cookie

Earlier batteries have problem with battery discharge so company has changed the batteries in new bikes from Exide to Amaron

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 02:20:29 pm
ytx14-bs

Used by many power sports vehicles, not just RE.

I think this is the spec for the battery...many available locally or on the net.....many price ranges...quality range too.

Always check dimensions, and which side the pos. and neg. are on to fit properly.

I would suggest installing a pigtail to the battery to connect a  Battery tender Jr and keep on sustain charge when not riding for more than a couple days.

I think there is always a slight drain on the battery due to the ECU "keep alive"

Cookie

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 02:33:24 pm
 I buy Yuasa batteries online. I like to replace mine every 3 years. A lot of places I ride you are on your own if you have issues.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 03:30:51 pm
Yuasa.....Supposedly a good brand name.....But nobody seems to make their own stuff anymore these days....so Brand doesn't seem to matter much.

I buy Motobatt......they are Yellow....yellow means they're better, right?

With Motobatt, you don't have to worry about  plus or minus position....they have multiple terminals.

Cookie

I buy Yuasa batteries online. I like to replace mine every 3 years. A lot of places I ride you are on your own if you have issues.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 03:33:40 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS_Yuasa

Who makes what?  Who owns what?

Impossible to tell anymore

Cookie

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 06:28:44 pm
I agree it's difficult and I like to avoid made in China If I can/if one knows. This Yuasa shows it's country of manufacture. Not a guarantee by any means but I hope the US makes some attempt at consistency with quality control. I don't know how to post larger attachments but if you click on attachment  you can read. cheers.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:31:46 pm by ceekay »
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 06:56:48 pm
"Deka"   Common brand seen im motorcycles.... parent company, East Penn Manufacturing, is another made in USA brand.....they also make many other brands.

Johnson controls..(now under a new name) makes USA made batteries for cars too......

Walmart, NAPA, Advance Auto, Interstate....etc...typically use these manufacturers..

Who know what spec. each brand is built to however?

Cookie

I agree it's difficult and I like to avoid made in China If I can/if one knows. This Yuasa shows it's country of manufacture. Not a guarantee by any means but I hope the US makes some attempt at consistency with quality control. I don't know how to post larger attachments but if you click on attachment  you can read. cheers.

jhark37

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 07:03:12 pm

I would suggest installing a pigtail to the battery to connect a  Battery tender Jr and keep on sustain charge when not riding for more than a couple days.

Cookie
[/quote]

You are apparently unaware there is a factory installed SAE pigtail on our bikes.  Zip tied to left passenger footpeg bracket.  Discovered quite by accident.  Use it recently to power my electric vest, which hopefully I can dispense with soon.

John

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 07:10:08 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS_Yuasa
Who makes what?  Who owns what?
Impossible to tell anymore
Cookie

Cookie makes a important point. What one needs to look at (even within the same brand) is the amp hours and cold crank spec. The outer cases are all the same and as mentioned above make sure the terminals and size are appropriate.

Having said that, A lot of people I know buy their motorcycle batteries in the lawn tractor section. Yup. They are the same as any other that has the same spec. The main difference is the price. The lawn mower crowd just will not pay the prices that we proud and nervous bikers will pay.

I am NOT saying what anyone should do. I am wiling to say that what kills lead/acid batteries is age and vibration.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 08:46:04 pm
Vibration!!!!

On my Yamaha Cafe racer....it has a tiny little battery since the bike is kick start, no need for cranking amps...just some power to run the fuel pump and the ECU.

Originally the battery was under the front of the seat....I put the Powercommander V there so I got a battery re-locater kit which puts the battery essentially over the rear fender (if it had a rear fender) under the "bump" in the cafe seat.

Being a single cylinder bike = vibration.   Vibrations concentrated at rear of frame under seat!

Went through three batteries in 9 months!  (before I figured out it was the vibration).  Also went through about 4 tail light bulbs (until I put in a LED bulb)...and also cracked the license plate in a couple places, and also the license plate bracket cracked off!

I ended up getting a 7AH "computer back-up battery"......for $13....(stock battery is 2.3 AH...Yuasa costs about $80)

Made a mount for it, where the tool kit used to be....more in the center of the frame......no problems for the last 2 years...

Cookie

I am wiling to say that what kills lead/acid batteries is age and vibration.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 12:46:51 am
My research turned up this as the best battery to be had.
https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-4333389740-YTX14H-BS-YUASA-BATTERY/dp/B002OQCF2E/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=CjwKCAiAuqHwBRAQEiwAD-zr3c5oF9pXnmaG_RvGu0r-I9fBsa_HnFz30xRwYvI901ut3y2M4DfTQBoCleoQAvD_BwE&hvadid=243375438167&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1016202&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1578915177007369965&hvtargid=aud-837757535200%3Akwd-314180696041&hydadcr=6588_9585037&keywords=ytx14h-bs+yuasa&qid=1577688934&sr=8-5
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 02:08:42 am

My 2020 has Exide...

Cookie

Weird thing for me about Exide batteries is that the online reviews of them just aren't all that glowing. In fact many are downright scathing. But I must have an over-achieving "outlier" serving now as one of the two cabin batteries in my Macgregor 26X sailboat, a sort of wacky power-sailer hybrid, basically a little cabin cruiser sailboat with a whomping big (for a sailboat) 50 hp Honda outboard on the transom. The battery's one of Exide's Nautilus deep cycle line that I got well over 5 years ago when it was already over 10 years old. My buddy found it in the nice little brick shed of a place he'd just bought along with one of those little electric outboard motors, with which it was presumably intended to be used. He had no interest whatsoever in them or in the horde of hand and power tools also there and in a basement workshop, so was happy to have me haul away whatever I liked. I didn't have much faith in the Exide, but figured what the hell--that it might at least serve as a core return instead of a more "marginal" battery I might still use for something else. Turns out though it took a fine charge. I even checked it with a hydrometer, and it seemed tip-top, so into the sailboat it went, being a deep cycle and all. That was years and years ago. From time to time I check it out, add a few drops of distilled water as needed, and the damned thing just won't die. Its neighboring battery has been replaced twice, but that Exide just keeps chugging along. Granted, it's kept under fairly optimal conditions, hooked up to a 50 Watt solar panel array with a nice enough little Harbor Freight voltage controller, but still... Not bad for something I pulled off a dirt floor. Accordingly, I might not be too loathe to give another Exide a chance in my old "Iron Belly" Bullet when the time comes. Hell, with that wonky electric start now mercifully gone, I could probably get the thing started by rubbing a balloon in my hair, or what's left of it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:00:32 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 02:13:48 pm
I had two Exide AGM batteries die on me.  Both batteries were BMW branded, made in Germany and came stock on both my 2009 BMW F650GS and my 2007 R1200R.  They both suffered a sudden-death and expired without warning while I was riding, stopping the bikes dead and requiring a tow to the dealer for replacement of the battery. The F650's battery only lasted 6 months, while the R1200's battery lasted not quite 24 months before leaving me stranded. Fortunately, BMW in those days had a 24-month warranty on their batteries and both were replaced without cost once they were inspected by the dealer and found to be defective.  Also fortunately, BMW's motorcycle warranty is for 36 months, so both the battery and tow to the dealership were free.  I might add that I checked the Exide website and their batteries had a 6-month warranty, so BMW was generous providing an additional 18 month warranty on those batteries.  I wonder why they were so kind?
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1