Author Topic: I Checked out the 650s at the NYC bike show  (Read 7029 times)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
on: December 10, 2019, 01:45:51 pm
GHG and I perused the bike show on Sunday and while it was overall a bit disappointing.....no Triumph, Moto Guzzi or Ducati......and many boring Harleys and Japanese bikes (though the new Harley ADV bike is pretty interesting to me), we did spend a good amount of time at the RE booth sitting on the bikes (making vroom vroom sounds) and talking to the RE people and a local dealer that was there with them. I finally decided the Continental is not for me. My 62 year old shoulders and elbows are not going to be comfortable for more than 30 minutes on that bike and the seat was also a bit firm for me. They had a chrome Interceptor on display and it was beautiful and I found the bike very comfortable. It did not feel heavy or top heavy like my V Strom and I decided I have to buy one and dump the Stromboli. While I love the look of the chrome model, the up charge is rather absurd, I already have a Classic Chrome 500 in Royal Maroon, so I am thinking of getting a black one, and having the tank painted in Royal Blue or maybe Burgundy......like a fine red wine. Dang, it is December and there is snow on the ground and now I have to wait till April to do this. I added a pic of yours truly at the show. Note hat and shirt...........
9fingers
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:40:40 pm by 9fingers »
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 03:44:17 pm
I have the Black Mark 3 and am happy with it. I'd like it to have blacked out wheels but it's not that big of a deal to me. I will probably get the black small engine crash bars from our site sponsor, which will nicely bridge the color gap between the tank and the wheels. I agree the upcharge for the all-chrome is pretty excessive.

As for riding come down here to TX - we have year-round riding in parts of south Texas, and at least 9-11 months in other parts, depending on your sensibilities when it comes to chill. But snow here in Austin is a rare sight indeed.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 06:50:27 pm
I joke about living in the NH part of NJ, but Sunday when I got up it was 9 degrees F by me and when I left at 9:00 it was up to 10 but at the same time it was 32 in NYC, an hour away! And yesterday, coming back from a meeting, it was 46F on Route 80, about 15 miles away, and 33F on my street. It's definitely New Hampshire.
The bike does look good in black, and also the painted silver color, but I am thinking burgundy. For the price of that chrome upgrade I could instead add a good windscreen, saddle bags, luggage rack, and maybe the touring seat upgrade. Just gotta sell the Stromboli first so my wife does not kill me.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 09:46:49 pm
The winter of 2020//2021 I am going to have Cutting Edge Illusions in Oregon paint my Interceptor side panels, tank, and front fender in candy apple red.  The tank will have 'Royal Enfield" painted on it in the same letter style as stock but almost twice as large in their "ripped metal" airbrush technique, and the side panels will have "Interceptor 650" on them in the same lettering and technique only smaller.  It is going to cost me a hunk of change.  That "Int 650' B.S. really bugs me.

The pic below will give you an idea of what the ripped metal lettering will look like.

It's going to be a pretty "pimped out' bike.  I am putting the alloy wheels below on it this winter ... pic below is one of my wheels right out of the Super Chrome powder coat oven before the clear coat is applied.  Don't have them yet.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:55:00 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 01:29:12 am
The INT650 is really stupid. They should have just come up with a whole new name. Maybe Intercontinental?

Mine doesn't say anything on the side panels.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 02:42:56 am

We must be neighbors!  (NW NJ)

I thought about going to the NY bike show, but passed...I guess I didn't miss much?

Which dealer was there with Royal  Enfield.?  There are two dealers in NJ...both seem really nice.  Both encourage test rides...I did a test ride last month.

Both dealers have (or at least had) a 2019 model that was marked down about $500 off list...so in the $5300 range.

I really like the chrome tank too...but the extra $$$ is not worth it to me. that's abut a 15% up-charge just for a shiny tank!

I looked at a silver (painted) one...to me not so nice in person as it looks on the internet.  The silver of the tank did not match the silver of the fender.  The tank was sort of a pupple-ish undertone, and darker silver than the fender.  Maybe it was the fluorescent lighting of the showroom?

I rode a black one...the black looks better in person than in photos IMHO.

Cookie

I joke about living in the NH part of NJ, but Sunday when I got up it was 9 degrees F by me and when I left at 9:00 it was up to 10 but at the same time it was 32 in NYC, an hour away! And yesterday, coming back from a meeting, it was 46F on Route 80, about 15 miles away, and 33F on my street. It's definitely New Hampshire.
The bike does look good in black, and also the painted silver color, but I am thinking burgundy. For the price of that chrome upgrade I could instead add a good windscreen, saddle bags, luggage rack, and maybe the touring seat upgrade. Just gotta sell the Stromboli first so my wife does not kill me.
9fingers

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 03:07:26 am
twocoolgliders, I will PM you but yes, NW NJ. The show is almost always worth going to but it was not as good as last year. On the other hand, I had an outstanding burger and a good IPA at the Hudson Bar and Grill, a few blocks from Javits. We took the ferry in from Weehawken and it was super easy. The dealer was Brooklyn Mayd and they seem to be really into the bikes, as all they sell are scooters and REs. Being in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn they are selling city bikes to hipsters and people that need to get around. They seem to be doing well. I have been to Locomotion Powersports many times but was turned off heavily by them in the beginning with all of the disparaging comments they made about the 500 Classic.  So I bought mine someplace else. I may give them another chance with the INT or may go with Brooklyn Mayd. They offered to deliver it but I would probably pick it up as my daughter does not live far from them and I know the area a bit.
I think I will get black, and probably will repaint just the tank.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 03:08:44 am
jimku, I encourage you to do your own thing but the pimped out look is not my cup of tea, so to speak. But do post pics when it is done.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:29 am
Mine doesn't say anything on the side panels.

Did you remove the "INT650" decals?
They look like they are under clear coat.
I would remove them if it was as simple as peeling them off.
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 01:19:25 pm
Cool!
Sorry about Locomotion....I basically hate dealerships...but you have to deal with them.  They seemed pretty nice when I visited them....they also brought an INT650 to "bike nite" and let lots of guys test ride it there.

The other dealer in NJ is Cross Country Powersports...(Metuchen) but a really big dealership will most brands of motorcycles, and Vespa for scooters.

I will say that the salesman "CJ" treated me well, and suggested a test ride even when I was not planning to do so.

Cookie

twocoolgliders, I will PM you but yes, NW NJ. The show is almost always worth going to but it was not as good as last year. On the other hand, I had an outstanding burger and a good IPA at the Hudson Bar and Grill, a few blocks from Javits. We took the ferry in from Weehawken and it was super easy. The dealer was Brooklyn Mayd and they seem to be really into the bikes, as all they sell are scooters and REs. Being in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn they are selling city bikes to hipsters and people that need to get around. They seem to be doing well. I have been to Locomotion Powersports many times but was turned off heavily by them in the beginning with all of the disparaging comments they made about the 500 Classic.  So I bought mine someplace else. I may give them another chance with the INT or may go with Brooklyn Mayd. They offered to deliver it but I would probably pick it up as my daughter does not live far from them and I know the area a bit.
I think I will get black, and probably will repaint just the tank.
9fingers

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 01:43:46 pm
Cool!
Sorry about Locomotion....I basically hate dealerships...but you have to deal with them.  They seemed pretty nice when I visited them....they also brought an INT650 to "bike nite" and let lots of guys test ride it there.

The other dealer in NJ is Cross Country Powersports...(Metuchen) but a really big dealership will most brands of motorcycles, and Vespa for scooters.

I will say that the salesman "CJ" treated me well, and suggested a test ride even when I was not planning to do so.

Cookie

Yes, I have heard good things about the Metuchen dealership. I will check them out before I buy. When I bought my 500 I got quotes from the Albany, NY dealer, a dealer in CT and another in NJ, who I think dropped the line shortly after their bid......their loss, the best is yet to come.
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 04:35:24 pm
A buddy of mine bought a Vespa at the Metuchen dealer...he was happy with the transaction.

The other place you are talking about is called Rollin Fast  in Lebanon NJ.  They are now exclusive with Indian Motorcycles...also they moved to a new location.  I had checked out the  RE Continental GT there, but opted for the Yamaha instead....wanted a project, not a ready to go Cafe.

Way before that, there was a RE dealer near me...Motorcycle Warehouse rt. 46 in Blevidere...but they dropped RE, and they moved to a smaller shop, then smaller, then kind of faded away.  But the owner actually designed some stuff for RE which they adopted into their models...something to solve a transmission issue i think.

I think it is a good time to be a RE dealer.

Yes, I have heard good things about the Metuchen dealership. I will check them out before I buy. When I bought my 500 I got quotes from the Albany, NY dealer, a dealer in CT and another in NJ, who I think dropped the line shortly after their bid......their loss, the best is yet to come.

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 12:32:42 am
Did you remove the "INT650" decals?
They look like they are under clear coat.
I would remove them if it was as simple as peeling them off.

Sorry, I had the whole bike painted. I got the (awful in my eyes) silver bike. As stated above, the tank doesn't match the fenders. This bike is 50 shades of gray  ::) Now it is British Racing Green and yellow.  ;D

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 04:48:02 pm
Glad that someone agrees with me that the silver color bike just doesn't quite look right!  I'm too cheap to pay an upcharge for the "fancy colors"...so I think the choices are black, silver or orange.  I thought I would like the silver,but I don't.  The black looks nice but I already have a  mostly black bike.   the orange is slowly growing on me!

Cookie

Sorry, I had the whole bike painted. I got the (awful in my eyes) silver bike. As stated above, the tank doesn't match the fenders. This bike is 50 shades of gray  ::) Now it is British Racing Green and yellow.  ;D

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 08:57:35 pm

Whoa.
Can you post a pic?

2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint

olhogrider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 09:26:57 pm
Whoa.
Can you post a pic?

Maybe. I haven't had good luck posting pics but I'll give it another try.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 01:19:45 am
GHG and I perused the bike show on Sunday and while it was overall a bit disappointing.....no Triumph, Moto Guzzi or Ducati......and many boring Harleys and Japanese bikes (though the new Harley ADV bike is pretty interesting to me), we did spend a good amount of time at the RE booth sitting on the bikes (making vroom vroom sounds) and talking to the RE people and a local dealer that was there with them. I finally decided the Continental is not for me. My 62 year old shoulders and elbows are not going to be comfortable for more than 30 minutes on that bike and the seat was also a bit firm for me. They had a chrome Interceptor on display and it was beautiful and I found the bike very comfortable. It did not feel heavy or top heavy like my V Strom and I decided I have to buy one and dump the Stromboli. While I love the look of the chrome model, the up charge is rather absurd, I already have a Classic Chrome 500 in Royal Maroon, so I am thinking of getting a black one, and having the tank painted in Royal Blue or maybe Burgundy......like a fine red wine. Dang, it is December and there is snow on the ground and now I have to wait till April to do this. I added a pic of yours truly at the show. Note hat and shirt...........
9fingers

Handsome devil....  Sell that Stromboli  already , will ya ?!  What the heck is a "Strom" anyway !?   :o ;D

A buddy of mine bought a Vespa at the Metuchen dealer...he was happy with the transaction.

The other place you are talking about is called Rollin Fast  in Lebanon NJ.  They are now exclusive with Indian Motorcycles...also they moved to a new location.  I had checked out the  RE Continental GT there, but opted for the Yamaha instead....wanted a project, not a ready to go Cafe.

Way before that, there was a RE dealer near me...Motorcycle Warehouse rt. 46 in Blevidere...but they dropped RE, and they moved to a smaller shop, then smaller, then kind of faded away.  But the owner actually designed some stuff for RE which they adopted into their models...something to solve a transmission issue i think.

I think it is a good time to be a RE dealer.

I bought my 09 C-5 from Motorcycle warehouse way back then.   It was a Transmission Recall . It was done by the importer in my case and then delivered to that dealer.    They might have done a couple of motors there as I remember ?.    I believe back then, initially the dealers across the country  STARTED  doing the recall work and then  CMW took it over and did most of them.

I found  that dealer  down in Metuchen to be pretty good.... closest one to me.    I took me son there to get him a Ninja 400.... I know , forgive me ! ::).     Very helpful , and easy sale at a very fair price.      How they are   with Enfields ?  Not sure , but as long as they treat you same  way.    Honestly I have found recently and over the years,  the dealers in our area at least, could use some Enfield Education.  They are a little shaky on the details .    One should be able to mention thing's like   "Iron barrel", " C-5", G-5", "B-5".... or even "Bullet" ?!  Without them looking at you sideways.  ::)   
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 10:52:34 am
Maybe. I haven't had good luck posting pics but I'll give it another try.

Oh yeah, that looks great, thanks.
The knobbly on the back looks badass.

2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 12:16:41 pm
Gee...we must be neighbors too!

I used to stop in Motorcycle Warehouse from time to time to buy spark plugs or whatever.  First I ever saw a Royal Enfield  up close.  He also had a Honda Dream in there I liked to look at.  That place is now a Hardware store. 

I think the guy at MCW was named Ryan...he later moved into a smaller storefront in my town, Washington.  I would stop there once in a while.  Then he moved out of town, into a small farm house, in the middle of nowhere.  I worked for an auto parts store, so I would deliver parts to him now and then.  After that, he partnered with another auto repair shop in Washington with a guy named "Ant"  They did mostly cars, but motorcycles too.  Ryan built lots of Yamaha SX650's into bobbers....kind of cool.  I was looking for one of these to build up into a Cafe...but got the SR400 instead.

I remember Ryan talking to me about the RE recall....he said they would send bikes to his shop and he would do the repair.  Also that he designed some part necessary for the repair.

The Metuchen dealer....I talked to salesman named "CJ"....nice guy...knowledgeable?  I dunno....But he did let me do a test ride....I was impressed with the bike, even though only 15 minute ride...seemed to live up to what everybody is saying about it.

If I buy, it will probably be the Metuchen dealer.....I sometimes work in Piscataway and Edison...so close to that.  The other dealer in Matawan, is really hard to get to from where I live.

Cookie

Handsome devil....  Sell that Stromboli  already , will ya ?!  What the heck is a "Strom" anyway !?   :o ;D

I bought my 09 C-5 from Motorcycle warehouse way back then.   It was a Transmission Recall . It was done by the importer in my case and then delivered to that dealer.    They might have done a couple of motors there as I remember ?.    I believe back then, initially the dealers across the country  STARTED  doing the recall work and then  CMW took it over and did most of them.

I found  that dealer  down in Metuchen to be pretty good.... closest one to me.    I took me son there to get him a Ninja 400.... I know , forgive me ! ::).     Very helpful , and easy sale at a very fair price.      How they are   with Enfields ?  Not sure , but as long as they treat you same  way.    Honestly I have found recently and over the years,  the dealers in our area at least, could use some Enfield Education.  They are a little shaky on the details .    One should be able to mention thing's like   "Iron barrel", " C-5", G-5", "B-5".... or even "Bullet" ?!  Without them looking at you sideways.  ::)

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 01:26:04 pm
Gashousegorilla, GHG for short, is one of the 3 members of the Long Strokers Motorcycle Club, the other being Frogman8. We are all sort of neighbors, within an hour 20 ride. And GHG is one of the top 2 gurus on the 500 single, in the USA, though he is quite modest about it. He did all the mods on my Classic 500 to make it fast as lightning.......slow lightning, but still nicely faster than stock.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 04:00:11 pm
Think of it.....A forum based in England, on the world wide web...and three guys from Jersey all on it!

We definitely need to go riding, when the  weather breaks next year.....as long as you guys don't mind riding with, or being seen with, a non-Royal Enfield!

Any chance you know Lee (Lee's Yamaha) or Jerry?  They make up my "gang"...cool chaps with a lot of bikes, I mean a lot of bikes!  I'm the youngest member of the gang, by a long shot...at 66....LOL.  Favorite ride with them....we all bring 125cc bikes, and ride the East side of the  Delaware River....Milford to Blairstown.  Of course we usually make bike night at Jumboland, weather permitting....two or three others usually join up for the ride.

So many nice roads in NW New Jersey!....NJ gets a bad rap by those who don't know the whole state.  I used to work in Wurtsboro NY on weekends.  Passed through your neck of the woods....Commuted 360 miles each weekend by motorcycle....fun ride...many different routes.

Cookie

Gashousegorilla, GHG for short, is one of the 3 members of the Long Strokers Motorcycle Club, the other being Frogman8. We are all sort of neighbors, within an hour 20 ride. And GHG is one of the top 2 gurus on the 500 single, in the USA, though he is quite modest about it. He did all the mods on my Classic 500 to make it fast as lightning.......slow lightning, but still nicely faster than stock.
9fingers

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 04:42:32 pm
And if I might add...one GHG / UCE (Honerary Stroker?  ???) way up here in Washington State! A lone high compression piston echoing through the backroads of the Cascade Mountains...  8)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 05:18:03 pm by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 11:24:49 pm
And if I might add...one GHG / UCE (Honerary Stroker?  ???) way up here in Washington State! A lone high compression piston echoing through the backroads of the Cascade Mountains...  8)

And scaring every Sasquatch in site with that thunder ! ;D    Oh no ... Your IN !  That bike looks GOOD Narada !     The color on that head pipe don't look bad either  I'm thinkin' ..

9fingers

Or maybe " Greenhousegas"  ?  Ummmmm.... I DO like my AFR's a bit richer ?  ;) :P

Think of it.....A forum based in England, on the world wide web...and three guys from Jersey all on it!

We definitely need to go riding, when the  weather breaks next year.....as long as you guys don't mind riding with, or being seen with, a non-Royal Enfield!

Any chance you know Lee (Lee's Yamaha) or Jerry?  They make up my "gang"...cool chaps with a lot of bikes, I mean a lot of bikes!  I'm the youngest member of the gang, by a long shot...at 66....LOL.  Favorite ride with them....we all bring 125cc bikes, and ride the East side of the  Delaware River....Milford to Blairstown.  Of course we usually make bike night at Jumboland, weather permitting....two or three others usually join up for the ride.

So many nice roads in NW New Jersey!....NJ gets a bad rap by those who don't know the whole state.  I used to work in Wurtsboro NY on weekends.  Passed through your neck of the woods....Commuted 360 miles each weekend by motorcycle....fun ride...many different routes.

Cookie

Keep it hush hush !  LOL !    When the Stokers hit it up there, there is NOBODY on those roads, except maybe a lone nervous Harley type pulling off to the side to give way !  LOL !  ;)   Oh... I think there are a few more of us in Jersey then three .  And the Forum was based in the US up until recently. But there was always guys from all over the joint.    Yeah, definitely have to go for a ride when the weather breaks.

Gee...we must be neighbors too!

I used to stop in Motorcycle Warehouse from time to time to buy spark plugs or whatever.  First I ever saw a Royal Enfield  up close.  He also had a Honda Dream in there I liked to look at.  That place is now a Hardware store. 

I think the guy at MCW was named Ryan...he later moved into a smaller storefront in my town, Washington.  I would stop there once in a while.  Then he moved out of town, into a small farm house, in the middle of nowhere.  I worked for an auto parts store, so I would deliver parts to him now and then.  After that, he partnered with another auto repair shop in Washington with a guy named "Ant"  They did mostly cars, but motorcycles too.  Ryan built lots of Yamaha SX650's into bobbers....kind of cool.  I was looking for one of these to build up into a Cafe...but got the SR400 instead.

I remember Ryan talking to me about the RE recall....he said they would send bikes to his shop and he would do the repair.  Also that he designed some part necessary for the repair.

The Metuchen dealer....I talked to salesman named "CJ"....nice guy...knowledgeable?  I dunno....But he did let me do a test ride....I was impressed with the bike, even though only 15 minute ride...seemed to live up to what everybody is saying about it.

If I buy, it will probably be the Metuchen dealer.....I sometimes work in Piscataway and Edison...so close to that.  The other dealer in Matawan, is really hard to get to from where I live.

Cookie

Yup... Union County.     And yes ... the name rings a bell.   They were up by Hot dog Johnny's on 46  as I remember ?     

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 13, 2019, 11:56:27 pm
Yep...Motorcycle Warehouse was just a bit west of Hot Dog Johnny!

Cookie

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 14, 2019, 12:03:38 am
Any of you Jersey guys going to do the "Distinguished Gentleman's Ride" next year? (Sept.) The NJ ride is sponsored by that Metuchen Dealership under the Triumph banner.  They ride from there to Asbury Park.   You need a "classic" bike to participate.

The concept is for charity...but otherwise totally ridiculous and hilarious.  (dressing up like a fop and riding a classic style bike).

I don't care...I'm "in"

https://www.gentlemansride.com/

Cookie

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 01:33:22 am
Yep...Motorcycle Warehouse was just a bit west of Hot Dog Johnny!

Cookie

Ketchup but no Mustard ?  ::)   What's up with that .....

Any of you Jersey guys going to do the "Distinguished Gentleman's Ride" next year? (Sept.) The NJ ride is sponsored by that Metuchen Dealership under the Triumph banner.  They ride from there to Asbury Park.   You need a "classic" bike to participate.

The concept is for charity...but otherwise totally ridiculous and hilarious.  (dressing up like a fop and riding a classic style bike).

I don't care...I'm "in"

https://www.gentlemansride.com/

Cookie

Long time off , but yeah I would be up for it.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 12:35:18 pm
If you ask for "one with".......you get hot dog with mustard, ketchup, chopped onions and a long pickle on it.

Cookie

Ketchup but no Mustard ?  ::)   What's up with that .....

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 14, 2019, 01:41:02 pm
One of my Triumph riding buddies invited me on that ride a year or two ago. Looks like a riot but I don't think I want to ride down to Asbury Park. I like it up here in the woods. Back in 2008 I rode a Trials competition up in Cornning NY, and a whole crew of guys showed up with about 20 bikes on a flatbed trailer, and they all rode the event wearing cheap, ill fitting suits. One guy rode a 305 Honda and smoked a cigarette while crashing through the sections with both legs in the flying W stance......it was hilarious.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 02:24:31 pm
Yeah, that area of NJ is not my cup-o-tea for riding either.  I like it in the North and West.  I do have to ride to Edison and Piscataway from time to time for work.  Early morning on weekends, so not too bad...but Rt 22 is the best way...and not a fun road.

The Gentleman's ride is slow speed, with Police escort.  I can see it being a disaster though.....big group of goofy riders.  Almost all of my riding....I go alone.  Biggest group I ever went in was 5, maybe 6 riders.  And my guys space out pretty far, so no "mid-air" collisions.

Cookie

One of my Triumph riding buddies invited me on that ride a year or two ago. Looks like a riot but I don't think I want to ride down to Asbury Park. I like it up here in the woods. Back in 2008 I rode a Trials competition up in Cornning NY, and a whole crew of guys showed up with about 20 bikes on a flatbed trailer, and they all rode the event wearing cheap, ill fitting suits. One guy rode a 305 Honda and smoked a cigarette while crashing through the sections with both legs in the flying W stance......it was hilarious.
9fingers

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 03:22:25 pm

Narada, with GHG and Frogman8's approval, you can become a member of our Long Stroker club in absentia. WE are planning on having some club patches made up and I would like a cap as well, but I may be alone on that. Perhaps we will send you a patch so it can be official.
9fingers
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 02:02:35 am by 9fingers »
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #30 on: December 14, 2019, 11:15:07 pm
Narada, with GHG and Frogman8's approval, you can become a member of our Long Stroker club in absentia. WE are planning on having some club patches made up and I would like a cap as well, but I may be along on that. Perhaps we will send you a patch so it can be official.
9fingers

Can I play too?  I don't currently have a long-stroker, and I haven't lived in NJ for decades... on second thought, never mind...

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 15, 2019, 02:04:48 am
Matt, if you ever come down for a visit I am sure we could arrange a group ride with one or the extra bikes in our stable. I hope to have an Interceptor in 4 or 5 months, and will certainly be keeping my Classic 500........and I have a bunch of trials bikes............
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #32 on: December 15, 2019, 12:19:03 pm
Matt, if you ever come down for a visit I am sure we could arrange a group ride with one or the extra bikes in our stable. I hope to have an Interceptor in 4 or 5 months, and will certainly be keeping my Classic 500........and I have a bunch of trials bikes............
9fingers

Right neighborly of you, 9fingers!  I'll certainly keep it in mind...