Author Topic: Wind noise  (Read 6270 times)

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
on: January 03, 2021, 11:18:28 am
The Himalayan has a tall, squarish, upright screen. I've known from day one that I get a lot of turbulence around my helmet which makes things a tad noisy. I wear earplugs for open road trips but was starting to feel I should wear them around the city as well. Not good. Then I removed the screen altogether - man, the difference was astounding.

This little video compares the two.

https://streamable.com/hvz4tj

I still wear ear plugs if I'm going into 80km/hr + territory. Meanwhile, I've ordered a new screen.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Toni59

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 12:44:54 pm
Hello Oldphart,

Thank for the video, impressive!

I made a similar expierience, but tried the other way round:

With the original wind shield I have massive turbulences around the head - quite annoying.

I added a wind shield extension and in the nearly upright position of it it is much better now.

What I do not know so far is, how the original wind shield can cope with the additional weight, forces and vibrations of the added shield...

Hitchcock also offers a lower and a higher version as far as I know.

The turbulence and wind noise seem to depend on many factors:
The stature and size of the rider and the helmet,  not to forget Motorcycle, windshield and speed...

Regards

Toni

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 01:43:37 pm
The Himalayan has a tall, squarish, upright screen. I've known from day one that I get a lot of turbulence around my helmet which makes things a tad noisy. I wear earplugs for open road trips but was starting to feel I should wear them around the city as well. Not good. Then I removed the screen altogether - man, the difference was astounding.

This little video compares the two.

https://streamable.com/hvz4t

Did you unjust the windscreen to the next position?

I still wear ear plugs if I'm going into 80km/hr + territory. Meanwhile, I've ordered a new screen.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 06:35:47 am
Did you unjust the windscreen to the next position?

I've got Barkbusters fitted so the screen is in the forward position. To be honest, when it was in the rearwards position, it was just as bad.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:49:25 pm
Don't know if the windscreen angle on Himalayans is adjustable, but I've found that a few degrees of difference in angle of incidence can make a world of difference in the handling of the machine.

Shape, size and cycle frequency of vortexes shed from surfaces is a complex phenomenon, but affects all sorts of things, including the overall drag and the tendency of the machine to exhibit speed wobble.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 05:51:13 am
Don't know if the windscreen angle on Himalayans is adjustable, but I've found that a few degrees of difference in angle of incidence can make a world of difference in the handling of the machine.

Shape, size and cycle frequency of vortexes shed from surfaces is a complex phenomenon, but affects all sorts of things, including the overall drag and the tendency of the machine to exhibit speed wobble.

You have a choice of two positions but if you have any hand protection such as Barkbusters, you have to have it in the forward (more upright) position.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 12:18:51 pm
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 06:41:34 am
If you add one of these it makes a huge difference in noise and buffeting.
9fingers

https://www.amazon.com/Motoparty-Adjustable-Windshield-Windscreen-windscreen/dp/B07M7YBB3N/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+windshield+deflector&qid=1612440975&sr=8-4

I tried one of them, made no difference at all. Gave it to a mate, it made no difference for him. He gave it to someone else who seems to like it. Know another bloke who swears by it. I think it depends on your size to a large extent.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Ruuntje

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 10:00:38 pm
I also had issues with turbulence and wind noise with the stock windshield. Being a new rider I just didn't know any better.
I stood up on the motorway and realised what an incredible difference it was without, so I took it off while I waited for the short Hitchcock windshield which arrived last week.
Just had a short ride on a very windy day after I installed it, with wind noise coming from all sides at all times, but it looks great, I must admit. I'll get a better impression of noise tomorrow. It's an outdoorsy activity anyway riding a motorbike so I don't expect silence and no wind, but the difference between with or without windshield is huge. For me.

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
  • FuelMap 3.7 l/100. 76 Imp mpg
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 10:53:20 am
I tried one of them, made no difference at all. Gave it to a mate, it made no difference for him. He gave it to someone else who seems to like it. Know another bloke who swears by it. I think it depends on your size to a large extent.

So how tall are you, so I can get a handle on whether the extra piece might suit my height 5’8”ish?
Current rides:
2019 Ice Queen GT650
2021 Himalayan

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 11:02:22 am
At 5' 8", I'd have thought you were the perfect height for the Himalayan screen.
Mind you, some people have reported turbulence from the mirrors  ???

My tip is to try it. If you find it's noisy, take the screen off altogether. This will give you an idea of how much things can improve.

I love my super shorty screen from Eagle Screens but no screen at all is quieter. Some people have fitted the screen from the 650 with good results, and it looks better than mine. There's even a 650 screen with brackets for the Himalayan available on ebay now.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 11:17:05 am
I trialled a medium screen on the 650 but this directed wind to my forehead - it was fine downwind but a pita into a headwind or side wind. Removed it.
I’ve done 10,000k without a screen and don’t miss it at all.

If the Himi screen works, fine. If not, I’ll remove it without a second thought.
None of my bikes have had screens and that’s going back to late seventies.
Current rides:
2019 Ice Queen GT650
2021 Himalayan

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 11:37:02 am
I trialled a medium screen on the 650 but this directed wind to my forehead - it was fine downwind but a pita into a headwind or side wind. Removed it.
I’ve done 10,000k without a screen and don’t miss it at all.

If the Himi screen works, fine. If not, I’ll remove it without a second thought.
None of my bikes have had screens and that’s going back to late seventies.
I went without a screen and it was wonderful, just the wind rushing past my helmet, but it does leave the back of the instruments exposed so I got a super shorty to protect them.

If you have any plans to fit a GPS, you may want one higher to protect that.

Also, if you fit Barkbusters, you'll need to move the stock screen into the forward position. I'd recommend the Barkbusters just to protect you in a fall or with trees whipping past. The stock bars are made of congealed pasta and bend really easily but I wouldn't change them until you fall off and have to.

I bought a second handle bar clamp (via ebay, stock RE part) and have placed that under my bars. This effectively gives me 20mm risers (and look good as opposed to some aftermarket items) which makes it more comfortable for me to stand. Mind you, I'm a six footer. However, it allows me to run the screen in the rearward setting with Barkbusters fitted and that, I think, is a plus.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Spicyred

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 11:44:05 am
Thanks for those excellent tips.

Where did you source the bark busters?
Current rides:
2019 Ice Queen GT650
2021 Himalayan

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 11:55:15 am
Where did you source the bark busters?

Local RE dealer. They'd be available elsewhere I suspect.
Make sure you buy the Himalayan kit because the mountings are different from bike to bike. I suspect you could make a generic set fit, but the Himalayan set will fit with less hassle.

There are a number of handguards that go with the Barkbusters (they are the aluminium guards only). I use the Storm  handguards which offer excellent protection such that in rain, my gloves remain dry. But I'm not sure it really matters.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500