Author Topic: Missing In Action?  (Read 3320 times)

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
on: March 21, 2021, 08:30:50 pm
Eddies' Girl hasn't posted in quite some time.  I hope all is well.  Has anyone heard from her?

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 09:03:35 pm
Eddies' Girl hasn't posted in quite some time.  I hope all is well.  Has anyone heard from her?

Oddly enough I was wondering the same thing. If I wasn't so afraid of crossing a line I'd PM her, but that seems a bit intrusive, and maybe a little creepy. :-[

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 09:14:10 pm
Yep, miss Eddie’s posts. Steve (Starpeve) is also MIA.  We need a roll call.

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 09:39:32 pm

Funny how I was also thinking about folks whom I've not seen on here in a while. I know I took some time off in the winter and now back, so I'm hoping that's all it is with our erstwhile friends as well.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 09:45:25 pm
Yep, miss Eddie’s posts. Steve (Starpeve) is also MIA.  We need a roll call.

Same here. I almost posted something the other day but it felt a bit like stalking. Hope they're fine.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Haggisman2

• Grease Monkey
  • 2018 Interceptor
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 11:36:09 pm
Always a concern when regulars go quiet, hope they are just taking a break
Previously "Haggisman"

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 11:44:09 pm
Wait until this board is 20 years or so old, as is the ST1100/1300 forum that I frequent. On that well designed forum, you can search the members and click on names of posters registered long ago and it tells you when they last visited. There are thousands that haven't been seen in decades, but those that are known to have passed away do get a RIP designation.

EDIT:  I now see you can do that here as well, by searching the members section. Hadn't checked that previously. My bad. I would just send the gal a PM. I don't think it would be considered an intrusion, or weird, as long as the intent was just to see what has happened to a former poster.

This board is good, but it could be a whole lot more too.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:48:30 pm by Dexter »
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

BC AVIATION

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 01:38:21 am
this forum has gotten boring, repetitious, not much of interest to me anymore....The stories of
"the good old days" or "I used to ride a one of these" or "one of those" are getting old.....

5 pages of "wheel alignment" ???

I haven't gone away, but I post very little now, and when I check out the forum, I come away figuring I just wasted a couple minutes of my life.

People do have "lives" beyond their RE....

Cookie

Semanticks

• Grease Monkey
  • 2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 03:04:07 am
It would seem to me that there was some contention a while back about the thread drift. Some of us have neither good ol' days nostalgia to share, being younger and enthusiastic newbies to riding. Others are here less for the technical and more for the social elements. Being on a forum is a sort of 'biker's wave' to acknowledge the camaraderie we all feel as RE riders. If the disagreements are less civil and lighthearted, it can put people off. It also would be hard to be the only girl on the forum at times I would think. Anyways, the only constant in life is change...
South Okanagan BC

2019 Interceptor Ravishing Red

RalphG

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 03:06:14 am
I always enjoyed Eddie's Girl's posts.  I hope she is well and just taking a time out.

Ralph
You don't stop riding motorcycles because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding motorcycles.

Mav

• Bulleteer
  • Nottingham UK
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 07:34:25 am
this forum has gotten boring, repetitious, not much of interest to me anymore....The stories of
"the good old days" or "I used to ride a one of these" or "one of those" are getting old.....

5 pages of "wheel alignment" ???

I haven't gone away, but I post very little now, and when I check out the forum, I come away figuring I just wasted a couple minutes of my life.

People do have "lives" beyond their RE....

Cookie

+1

A lot of the topics on here should never be in the 650 section.

That’s what the “campfire” thread is for
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 03:00:51 pm
+1

A lot of the topics on here should never be in the 650 section.

That’s what the “campfire” thread is for

Good point, I'm very new forums, this is the first one I've really participated it, so how do you prevent a thread from drifting off topic? Human nature being what it is, I think it's almost inevitable, especially when you start getting 50-60 or more replies.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 03:49:03 pm
Yep, thread drift is often annoying but I've been on some forums where the moderation is so heavy-handed that it's just depressing.

Sure, this place is a little goofy but if it's that annoying just back away from the keyboard and ride your bike.

Honestly, if an online special interest forum like this gets under your skin (and it clearly does to some members) another pissed off post dissing others is not gonna help you.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 03:57:51 pm

Sure, this place is a little goofy but if it's that annoying just back away from the keyboard and ride your bike.

The best advice yet.  ;)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 10:38:49 pm
Yep, thread drift is often annoying but I've been on some forums where the moderation is so heavy-handed that it's just depressing.

Honestly, if an online special interest forum like this gets under your skin (and it clearly does to some members) another pissed off post dissing others is not gonna help you.

I'm guiltier than most of dancing the old guy onion-on-my-belt digression two-step, but to my credit I usually try to bring my wanderings back home on topic somehow, and do spend a fair bit of my time trying earnestly to help newbies in our midst whenever I can, though hardly any "expert." It just seems the right thing to do.

As for "Eddiesgirl", I did reach out to her a couple of days ago via PM and email only to advise her of this thread under my overly grand imprimatur as "Global Moderator", but haven't heard a peep back. I like to think she's just up on the northern banks of Lake Tahoe, far from the wifi and other concerns of the world, in that snappy little girly-bedazzled trailer of hers by a crackling campfire gorging on the finest 'smores in the Western Hemisphere.

As for this 650s thread, it has not passed notice by the powers-that-be that it's grown a bit like a super-giant neutron star in its grasp of all matter, and grown perhaps a tad "snarlier", especially politically, than in us grey-bearded types' normal redoubts, galvanized as we've been by shortcomings in design and disappointments--camaraderie found in shared sufferings, which you "Modernos" with your reasonably tip-top 650s have mostly mercifully been spared, as it were. Yet even though I did punt this thread over into the 'Campfire' section as per your suggestions, I might suggest a bit of familiarization by our users with other more suitable topical locations for their contributions to the Forum. Or don't. I'm honestly not that bothered.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 01:02:21 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.