Author Topic: Handlebar clamp bolts  (Read 2687 times)

Duce

• Scooter
on: July 18, 2023, 06:55:44 pm
So through my many odd finds in bringing my Elextra X back to life after saving it from standing under a cover for 4+ years, im now at odds with the handbag clamp bolts.
There are two m8 bolts inserted from the bottom of the yoke and a nut at the top of the clamp.
I figured I'd replace these with some original hex bolts from RE the correct way ..down.
Only to find they don't go in all the way. They won't go past the initial thread.
Any ideas why this might be? Hitchcocks has the same bolts stated as those i previously purchased so I'm suspecting something may have been altered ...but I can't seem to see where or how.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 04:26:28 pm
So through my many odd finds in bringing my Elextra X back to life after saving it from standing under a cover for 4+ years, im now at odds with the handbag clamp bolts.
There are two m8 bolts inserted from the bottom of the yoke and a nut at the top of the clamp.
I figured I'd replace these with some original hex bolts from RE the correct way ..down.
Only to find they don't go in all the way. They won't go past the initial thread.

I don't completely understand - do you mean the threads are wrong & the bolt won't screw in ?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Duce

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 11:54:00 am
     I don't completely understand - do you mean the threads are wrong & the bolt won't screw in ?

So the last photo of the two bolts, the older looking of the two is an M8 bolt which was pushed up from underneath the yoke and a washer and nut placed on top of the clamp. Not exactly standard.

So the standard bolts (Also came with nuts) doesnt fit into the holes ...
As per one of the photos it only goes in about the thread length and sticks out nearly two finger widths. There is no thread in those holes - should there be? I have a feeling the top yoke may have been replaced?.. :-*

Duce

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 12:02:15 pm
These are the m8 bolts which have been holding the bars on/top clamp. Inserted from underneath.

Duce

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 12:24:58 pm
Heres a quick video of the new (Standard) bolts going in... but not going in.
No thread either for them to screw in to but there were two bolts supplied - Which dont fit underneath though due to the plastic shim  :-\

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QoimKiSMfvo

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 12:44:40 pm
Could be that the holes for the stepped bolts were bored under-size, and the bolts fitted from underneath were a bodge.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 02:40:33 pm

I shouldn't have responded to this. It's been soooo long since I had mine off (out) I thought they threaded in. I tried to find exploded parts view on Hitchcocks yesterday, but couldn't. I still can't see close yet from the damn cataract surgery & no glasses yet PITA!!!!!!! & huge headaches.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

allanfox

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 02:41:25 pm
Sort of makes sense if the holes were too big as they might have been drilled out at some point but too small?  Have they been sleeved?

If you look in the online parts book the bolts used on Redditch bikes do look much shorter, are you 100% Hitchcock's have sent you the right ones?

And do you have any thread in the bolt holes? 

allanfox

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 02:41:58 pm
Could be that the holes for the stepped bolts were bored under-size, and the bolts fitted from underneath were a bodge.

A.

By the factory?

Duce

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 03:24:17 pm
Sort of makes sense if the holes were too big as they might have been drilled out at some point but too small?  Have they been sleeved?

If you look in the online parts book the bolts used on Redditch bikes do look much shorter, are you 100% Hitchcock's have sent you the right ones?

And do you have any thread in the bolt holes?

There are no threads in the bolt holes :-/ but are there suppose to be?
From the diagram on Hitchcocks they are bolts with nuts.

But whether they sent me the correct ones... now theres a question. The ones pictured at very least look the same as what I've received.
(https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/2657?qty=2&continue_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fpartsbook-pages%2F2164)

I might order another set and at least I can compare that way. Thanks guys for the input so far.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 08:09:57 pm
I think the parts diagram shows stepped bolts and WASHERS. They normally screw into the casquette/nacelle, so something is wrong with yours. Look for a new one, or a good used one.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2023, 09:55:14 pm
There are 2 types of bolts, the longer one is for Indian Electra models and the shorter bolt with the narrower shank is part number 143823, which was a metric bolt available on models made after the year1998. Prior to 1998 RE used a 5/16 CEI thread bolt (part number 140203). The longer bolts, threads directly into the headlight nacelle. The nacelle which uses a shorter bolt has a nut to hold the bolt in place.

allanfox

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2023, 02:31:18 pm
I think the parts diagram shows stepped bolts and WASHERS. They normally screw into the casquette/nacelle, so something is wrong with yours. Look for a new one, or a good used one.

A.

100% what Adrian says, I just had mine off to change the handlebars (2006 Electra X) and stepped bolts and washers with threads in the casquette. Maybe your has been in an accident and a different casquette has been fitted.  Just very strange that if the thread had been drilled out the hole would be bigger not smaller makes no sense at all! 

Duce

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2023, 03:47:53 pm
Yep you're right - I had nuts come with the new bolts I received so just assumed thats what they were on the diagram but they're definitely washers.

I've just gone through a variety of Headlamp Casing diagrams on Hitchcocks from the 500 Bullets (1989 - 2001), 08-12, Electra X (2005 - 2008)
, 500cc Electra EFI (E5 & G5) and the newer classics and they all appear to just be screw in from the top in to the casquette...

That doesn't help with the mystery of why the holes are to small though, as a couple have mentioned, if the threads have been drilled they would be bigger  :-\ ???

I feel I may need to spend a day taking the casquette off and seeing whats going on/ happend.

Duce

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 21, 2023, 04:31:58 pm
On a slightly separate query, What are the holes either side of the cassette on the diagram?
Are they an alternative spot for indicators?

I've only seen them placed here on the 1977-2007 trails kit at hitchcocks:
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Trials-Kit-Bullet-Pre-Unit/18945

I ask as my casquette has these which could state what model the casquette has potentially come from if it was a replacement (I cant see these on any other models from photos but the diagrams seem to show them)