Author Topic: Alternator Output on Himalayan  (Read 3988 times)

Meloman

• Scooter
on: December 25, 2019, 06:46:55 pm
I ride a CSC RX4 which has a 300W alternator which is easily capable of handling my heated jacket, heated grips and dual 30W driving lights all at the same time.
I’m considering buying a new Himalayan but am concerned that it’s 220W alternator won’t be able to handle the load.
Anyone using similar stuff and can give me feedback ?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 05:11:43 am
Well, you've gotta total up the wattage of all your gear and the bike's systems (ignition, EFI, lighting and instruments). The gear should be pretty easy to spitball. Usually there'll be some kinda tags or markings on them giving their draw. Thing is, it may not be expressed in wattage, but rather in amperage, often expressed with an "A". Just multiply that figure by voltage, in this case 12, to get the wattage,  and you should get a good idea if the Himi can handle it all.

Another quick and dirty test you might do if you already have the Himi is to plug all that gear in, fire up those driving lights, headlamp, and brake lamp, and break out a multimeter with the bike at idle. If the voltage at the battery terminals is over 13, you should be fine.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Meloman

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 06:10:13 pm
Bilgemaster, thanks for your input. As I mentioned, I’m considering buying a Himmy but haven’t yet. I was hoping that someone out there would respond with less technical data. More like they have a Himalayan and use all their gear including two radios, a dishwasher, an electric chainsaw and 20 LED spotlights and have no problem.😀

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 08:15:09 pm
Bilgemaster, thanks for your input. As I mentioned, I’m considering buying a Himmy but haven’t yet. I was hoping that someone out there would respond with less technical data. More like they have a Himalayan and use all their gear including two radios, a dishwasher, an electric chainsaw and 20 LED spotlights and have no problem.😀

Thing is, one guy's heated gear and other accessories will have a different draw than another's. Still, it may please you to learn that the specs on the 2018 Himi given in this Motorcycle.com review actually hint at a little more headroom for your doodads at speed than you'd reckoned with, citing, "220 watts at 1500 rpm; 280 w[atts] at 4000 rpm".  So, that's good news, huh?.

You might find some knowledgeable guidance on these matters over on the ADVRider forums. This long thread in particular seems to have lots of useful info. Still, having plowed through that thread, I'm still convinced that totaling up your present gear's draw would be useful info for planning, and shouldn't be all that difficult.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 11:35:27 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Meloman

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 05:10:43 am
Bilgemaster, thanks for the Review link. That eases my concerns.

Guaire, thanks for the LED info. I’ll file that for future reference.