Author Topic: What's your thoughts on Loctite and other such goop?  (Read 2824 times)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #30 on: April 12, 2021, 02:08:15 am
There has been more than a few times when I have needed to do some work on the bikes during a trip. I would buy a bottle of cheap nail polish as a substitute. I'd chose a bright yellow or orange and add a splash of it next to the bolt on the frame, etc. Initially, I intended to replace it as soon as I got home. But on a couple of them I just checked them every few days, then weeks, then eventually just forgot about it. Maybe those nuts or bolts would have never backed off even if I did nothing. Don't know but one bike was a BSA 500 twin that continued to shed other parts for as long as I had it.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #31 on: April 12, 2021, 03:12:45 am
There has been more than a few times when I have needed to do some work on the bikes during a trip. I would buy a bottle of cheap nail polish as a substitute. I'd chose a bright yellow or orange and add a splash of it next to the bolt on the frame, etc. Initially, I intended to replace it as soon as I got home. But on a couple of them I just checked them every few days, then weeks, then eventually just forgot about it. Maybe those nuts or bolts would have never backed off even if I did nothing. Don't know but one bike was a BSA 500 twin that continued to shed other parts for as long as I had it.

That nail polish hack may be familiar to many eyeglass wearers as the fix for those ever-loosening little hinge screws. A little dab right on top of that screw and/or nut'll do ya.
Fun fact: if you connected all of the little plastic tubes from all the cheapo eyeglass repair kits ever sold end to end you could probably run a skinny pipeline to the Moon! So, clean out the back of that cluttered junk drawer, nerds. Do it for science!
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 12, 2021, 11:22:09 am
Nail polish does work l got the idea from the camera repair man he used to use it to keep screws in, it is quite easy to get undone you only need a small amount and it's dirt cheap as well.