Author Topic: Got your pegs down yet?  (Read 4387 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
on: June 17, 2014, 03:26:49 am
How's the GT crew finding the ground clearance on your bikes? I've been having tons of fun in the bends but no ground/peg contact yet. I've grounded a mystery part on the left side (cant find scrape marks on anything, but can feel and hear something going on) and the T clamp on the exhaust on the other side is the first part to touch down. I'll spin it around a bit to stop that happening. I think the standard muffler would also ground out. I don't imagine I'll ever get near the hero blobs on my pegs. I've still got a 1/2" chicken strip on the back tyre and I don't think I have it in me to go all the way.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

hyperhad

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:10:12 am
I only got in three rides before I got my peg down.  Unfortunately, this happened when the bike wasn't even moving!  I actually broke the peg off.  Hopefully my cast comes off this Friday, then it is back on the bike for some break-in kilo's!

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:55:23 am
I must be a complete wuss, or just too relaxed in my riding...I haven't come near scraping anything.  I always figured the center stand would be the first thing to scrape
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 02:46:24 pm
While I don't have a GT, I think this may apply regardless: one of the first things to drag for me is the centerstand "feet" My rearsets are up and far back enough that they will never drag the ground, but I have ground the center stand. So I cut each side a little at 45 degree angles to give quite a bit more lean angle. I still can drag the left side in fast big lean corners but will have to cut off and re-weld the arm (for putting it on the stand with your foot) to be able to cut more off at that 45 degree angle. The GT looks to have basically the same type stand with those overly long tubes. Stability on my iron barrel is fine, I would think the GT would be fine too.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 03:54:00 pm
I would never endorse chopping up a Bullet for liability reasons, but this is pretty darn clever and simple
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 04:13:05 pm
I would never endorse chopping up a Bullet for liability reasons, but this is pretty darn clever and simple

It's a similar idea to some of the aftermarket sport bike pegs you see out there with the slash cut undersides. They first remove the stock pegs "feelers", then they source different pegs. Probably more suited to the aggressive rider out there looking for that little bit extra on their way to dragging an elbow or handlebar or worse....like this guy: