Author Topic: Touring vs Normal Seat?  (Read 1146 times)

San

• All the gear, all the time.
  • Bulleteer
  • Canterbury, New Zealand
on: April 11, 2024, 10:46:16 am
Hi team,

I know many of you have the touring seat in place. Could you share your before and after experience?

I am considering taking the plunge. I am not unhappy with the current seat, but hey, could the touring experience be better? If so - I'm all for it.

I usually ride at least 6-7 hours in a single day and if the 'touring' seat can help with the touring, that would be fab.

Cheers in advance for your help.

San
2023 - : Meteor 350 Stellar Black
2012 - 2023: Thunderbird (Rumbler) 2008

Father of Dragons

• Bulleteer
  • Cardiff, Wales
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 11:23:32 am
I have the touring seat, although the most time I have spent on it in a single day is probably about 5 hours, with short breaks.  I find it more comfortable than the standard, although the standard wasn't bad.  It is slightly higher than standard, if that's a consideration.  Depends how sensitive your rear end is I suppose.

San

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 12:26:17 pm
I have the touring seat, although the most time I have spent on it in a single day is probably about 5 hours, with short breaks.  I find it more comfortable than the standard, although the standard wasn't bad.  It is slightly higher than standard, if that's a consideration.  Depends how sensitive your rear end is I suppose.

Thanks, mate. My behind is not overly sensitive. I would not mind a wee bit of lumbar support, though. How would you rate the lower back and lumbar support of the touring seat compared to the stock one? Thanks!

Aitrus

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 12:45:52 pm
I've got both seats for my Meteor.  For a while I used the touring seat, then switched back to the normal seat.  I'll probably stick with the normal seat.

The touring seat pushes you forward about an inch and about half an inch higher due to the low lumbar section.  It does create a "pocket" of sorts for your tailbone, however, I found that over time the padding there compressed down to the point that my tailbone was rubbing on a cross-rib buried deep in the seat.  I don't know if this rib is metal or plastic, but it doesn't budge.  I think it's the bar where the "net" is attached (the Touring seat apparently has a supportive net underneath all the padding to help support and spread out weight across the seat). 

Either way, after more than about an hour in the saddle I find my backside getting numb in the area.  I don't have a similar problem with the stock seat. 

For lower lumber support / rider's backrest, I just strap a loaded backpack down across the pillion, and lean back into it slightly.  Works just as well.

That said, if you want to take a risk on a touring seat for a cheaper price (it has about 4,000 miles on it, so it's broken in already), PM me and we'll see if we can work something out.
"Remember, it is not enough to be hit or insulted to be harmed, you must believe that you are being harmed. If someone succeeds in provoking you, realize that your mind is complicit in the provocation." Epictetus

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters." Epictetus

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 01:10:58 pm
I found the touring seat on my Meteor "different" but not really an improvement.
I have a skinny behind and I'm only 5", 7" if that makes a difference.

I went back to standard and sold the touring seat. YMMV.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

San

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 01:17:43 pm
I've got both seats for my Meteor.  For a while I used the touring seat, then switched back to the normal seat.  I'll probably stick with the normal seat.

The touring seat pushes you forward about an inch and about half an inch higher due to the low lumbar section.  It does create a "pocket" of sorts for your tailbone, however, I found that over time the padding there compressed down to the point that my tailbone was rubbing on a cross-rib buried deep in the seat.  I don't know if this rib is metal or plastic, but it doesn't budge.  I think it's the bar where the "net" is attached (the Touring seat apparently has a supportive net underneath all the padding to help support and spread out weight across the seat). 

Either way, after more than about an hour in the saddle I find my backside getting numb in the area.  I don't have a similar problem with the stock seat. 

For lower lumber support / rider's backrest, I just strap a loaded backpack down across the pillion, and lean back into it slightly.  Works just as well.

That said, if you want to take a risk on a touring seat for a cheaper price (it has about 4,000 miles on it, so it's broken in already), PM me and we'll see if we can work something out.

Thanks, Aitrus. Ouch - tailbone rubbing against a cross rib sounds discomforting? Did you notice that straight away or after a fair bit of hours in the saddle?

I wonder if this is a common theme observed by touring seat users?

San

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 01:18:18 pm
I found the touring seat on my Meteor "different" but not really an improvement.
I have a skinny behind and I'm only 5", 7" if that makes a difference.

I went back to standard and sold the touring seat. YMMV.

Thanks, Ivy. Could you elaborate on the 'different' bit, perhaps, kindly?  :)

Ivy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Devon UK
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 01:35:20 pm
Thanks, Ivy. Could you elaborate on the 'different' bit, perhaps, kindly?  :)

Yes, of course. These are my recollections.

It wasn't uncomfortable, a tiny bit higher (which I didn't need) maybe a bit firmer and I sat in more of a "pocket". I prefer to be able to slide back and forwards to change position now and again. So as I said not uncomfortable, just not really worth changing for me.

I hope that helps, but we all have prefered ergonomics.
Moto Guzzi --Making mechanics of motorcyclists for 100 Years--

Oscar

• Scooter
  • Devon, UK
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 01:38:10 pm
Completely agree with Ivy’s comments, I too fitted the touring seat to my Meteor and in 100% agreement no more comfortable than the standard seat, have been considering changing back.

Aitrus

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 01:57:39 pm
Thanks, Aitrus. Ouch - tailbone rubbing against a cross rib sounds discomforting? Did you notice that straight away or after a fair bit of hours in the saddle?

I wonder if this is a common theme observed by touring seat users?

I didn't start noticing it until after the seat was broken in, no matter how long I rode.  After the seat was broken in, I started noticing it after an hour or so in the saddle.  On my 40-min commute to work, it's no issue.  It's just when I take a multi-hour trip that it starts to be a pain.

And it's not the tailbone specifically, more like rubbing on the general area and not the bone itself.  It's an area about the size of my fist centered on the tailbone area, kind of like that's where my weight is focused. 

It might just be my seat specifically. I haven't read of anybody else having this problem.  I also weigh 230lbs, so that may have something to do with it.  My poor engine - with me and a backpack strapped down along with some odds and ends in the saddlebags, it's almost like my bike is always riding two-up.
"Remember, it is not enough to be hit or insulted to be harmed, you must believe that you are being harmed. If someone succeeds in provoking you, realize that your mind is complicit in the provocation." Epictetus

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters." Epictetus

indibiker

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 03:03:31 pm
I had plans to upgrade the stock seat to a touring one on my 2022 Classic J, on my next visit to the RE dealer. The stock seat, after 2 years, has, for me, lost its comfort, resulting in having to take more breaks during the ride.

Meanwhile, browsing the internet two days ago I came across this alternate option and ordered one, which will arrive on Monday.

I'm not sure if you know about such an item.

ButteMT

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 04:07:35 pm
I love the Touring seat - as does my wife (pillion).
I'm 6'-4", and it adds some height which is good for me.
More comfy, but like others, I don't do much more than 1/2 day rides most of the time.
I think it looks nicer, and feels better.  It also gave me a chance to change out the stock poo-brown seats on my Halcyon Grey for black.

Not great pics, but you can see the diff here:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 04:09:44 pm by ButteMT »

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 05:21:47 pm
The touring seat was an improvement for me. 5' 9" @ 160 pounds. Didn't really notice the height difference, but the pocket does provide a bit of lower back support for me and keeps the rest of my arse in the spot where at least a bit more of the upper thigh area is kept on the seat. I always found the OEM seat had me sliding up and down the slope it has, as I tried to maximize the coverage for my arse constantly.

Maximum arse/ upper thigh coverage is what translates to a comfortable seat, as anyone who has ever had a Russell "Day Long" seat on a bike will tell you. Have a look at the seats that Honda, or BMW put on their luxury touring machines to see what it takes to ride all day without a twinge anywhere in the butt.

I've attached a photo of the Russell seat I had on my ST1100 for years and I could, literally, ride 10 hours, with only fuel and food stops, without any issues at all.

Now, the RE touring seat can't even come close to comparing with a seat like that, but it is better than stock for me and everyone's arse feels discomforts differently, so sanpan really needs to try it for himself, as there are varying opinions here already.

Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

San

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024, 08:26:26 pm
I had plans to upgrade the stock seat to a touring one on my 2022 Classic J, on my next visit to the RE dealer. The stock seat, after 2 years, has, for me, lost its comfort, resulting in having to take more breaks during the ride.

Meanwhile, browsing the internet two days ago I came across this alternate option and ordered one, which will arrive on Monday.

I'm not sure if you know about such an item.

Thanks, Indibiker.

I did look at these but I like a very firm, stable, predictable seating situation. It feels as though these additions may cause some sliding between the seat and the additional cushion which may make the ride somewhat less precise and enjoyable.

Would be keen to know your experience once you have it installed.

Thanks for your valuable suggestion 😊

San

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: April 11, 2024, 08:30:41 pm
The touring seat was an improvement for me. 5' 9" @ 160 pounds. Didn't really notice the height difference, but the pocket does provide a bit of lower back support for me and keeps the rest of my arse in the spot where at least a bit more of the upper thigh area is kept on the seat. I always found the OEM seat had me sliding up and down the slope it has, as I tried to maximize the coverage for my arse constantly.

Maximum arse/ upper thigh coverage is what translates to a comfortable seat, as anyone who has ever had a Russell "Day Long" seat on a bike will tell you. Have a look at the seats that Honda, or BMW put on their luxury touring machines to see what it takes to ride all day without a twinge anywhere in the butt.

I've attached a photo of the Russell seat I had on my ST1100 for years and I could, literally, ride 10 hours, with only fuel and food stops, without any issues at all.

Now, the RE touring seat can't even come close to comparing with a seat like that, but it is better than stock for me and everyone's arse feels discomforts differently, so sanpan really needs to try it for himself, as there are varying opinions here already.

Hey Dexter,

Hahaha! You are right! It is feeling more and more like I will need to experiment myself.

So many helpful and detailed responses here from Father of Dragons, Ivy, Oscar, ButteMT, and Aitrus. And your good self.

I am 5'9" and 155 pounds. So your exact height and weight. And lumbar and back support is what excites me.

But this sounds like an expensive experiment - much like AzKev's DNA filter one! 😅

Would love it if more people share their 'raw data' related to the touring seat 😄

Cheers,
San