Author Topic: Kick starter oil seal sign?  (Read 354 times)

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
on: March 31, 2024, 11:20:04 am
A change of oil with new filter recently ended with only 2 litres of oil bringing the level up to the top of the sight glass. While I was down looking at the level I noticed the black drool coming down from under the kick start lever. Is this an indication of an oil seal which has 'had the gong'? I've got the seals and if I can lean the bike over to do the job without dumping out the fresh oil, I'll start the job.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to fit 2.5 litres of oil in a motor that shows it is full at 2 litres...
Riding a motorcycle is like life; it's about the journey not the destination.

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2024, 12:03:06 pm
It could be dribble from chain lube depending on the type you use.

But those kick start seals are a pain. I think some shafts must be a freckle undersize for the seal tolerance and they can weap a little.
59 Club UK/Australia
Instagram : @modern_day_rocker

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2024, 12:10:02 pm
I purposely didn't use the chain lube device just to see where all the crap was coming from. At first I thought it may be the chain O-rings disintegrating, now I suspect something more sinister. I figure this bike has done around 60,000 km (was a rental in Sydney before it came to me) so the best I can do is fix what I can see. I took the precaution of ordering a new standard size barrel / piston / rings kit from our host for when the time comes. Maybe I'll have to resist the temptation to wiggle the con rod sideways and just hope the bottom end bearings are okay. Otherwise I'd be tempted to find someone who could change the cranks balance factor while the donk was apart. ;D

TimQ16

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 04:48:08 am
Happened on mine, I cleaned the area and chain, hasn't happened again so must have been just old chain lube 👍

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 04:53:02 am
Thanks for your input Tim. I’ve already cleaned the chain and that area several times and still the black sludge appears. Maybe it has something to do with not being able to fit more than 2 litres of oil in following a filer and oil change.🤔

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 10:24:18 am
I had that problem with my 535 which had a small oil leak here.
Il was the bearing which had to much play and it ended... with a broken gearbox !

Maybe you should remove the right cover and final drive sprocket to check if there is any play and the state of the oil seal.

GUNR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 10:45:41 am
I’m guessing that means dumping this fresh oil change if I might have to replace a seal and / or bearing.

Taurim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 12:13:06 pm
It may be possible to check the radial play of the sprocket axle when the chain is removed.
You have to open the crankcase to replace the bearing... An expensive repair...

Not as expensive as a broken bearing breaking everything else around.Don't ask me why I know  ::)