Author Topic: New member  (Read 4453 times)

LongMan

• Bulleteer
  • Germany - 2019 Interceptor
on: January 04, 2020, 07:41:04 pm
Hi all,
just signed up to this great forum. Some personal info: 58 years old, located in Germany, 6ft6 tall (hence the nick name). I'm what they call a "new born rider", although not that new to bikes. I used to ride 20+ years in my earlier years, starting when I got my driving license. Then ceased riding for almost 20 years for several reasons, mostly because I got seriously ill at some point. After getting better again I never managed to acquire a bike again.

Well, not until end of May 2019. I pass a Royal Enfield dealership on my daily way home, and never was particularly interested. Then one day an Interceptor was parked in front of the dealership, and I got hooked. Did have a closer look the next day, then got me a helmet and did a test ride. From that point I was lost ;D Cannot say which voice was louder, that of the bike whispering "buy me, buy me", or the voice in my head insisting "I need this!".

Long story short (you all know what experience it is to drive that 650 twins for the first time): I decided that it was time to get back into the saddle and ordered an Interceptor Mark 3 on 31st of May.

That's when my dealer told me that I have to expect 12 weeks delivery time due to extraordinary customer demand, ouch :( - the bikes sold like ice cream on a hot summer day. I accepted that, what should you do? After another 3 days my dealer called and said he was able to acquire a Mark 3 that would be available in 10-14 days, if I would take that one. Hell yes, of course!!! Went to the dealership next day to bring in insurance paperwork required to get a license plate. The chief of the service department stepped into the store, and asked me if I was the guy who ordered a Mark 3. After confirming, he said "They dropped it on the lot this morning". What??? And there she was, still in the transport cradle, all wrapped up. "Want to have a look?" my dealer grinned. Of course, so we unwrapped her and there she was in all her beauty.

Took another couple of days to do the initial service, mount some RE accessories like fork gaiters, crash guard, front reservoir cap, and to get the license plate. Finally I could pick her up on 7th of June. So thanks to the efforts of my dealership it took 7 days instead the usual 12 weeks from order to delivery. Good job indeed!

Since then I put app. 3000km on it, and did some other slight modifications: Got the stock seat upholstered by a local upholsterer, using the basepan of the stock seat. They also do stitching of any logo you want, and I decided for the Royal Enfield logo on the back of the seat (got tired of the questions what brand that bike is). However they were so excited about the bike that the logo went slightly bigger than expected ;D My dealer does call this "proper advertising" :) Also got the Lo Bro Customs handle bar grips, much more comfortable if you have big hands. And mounted Motone Customs tank pads, they provide nice grip. Planned some more modifications for this year that will change the look of the bike quite a lot, will put up images once that is done.

Most asked questions:
• "What brand is that bike" (owner silently points to the rear seat end)
• "Did you restore that old thing yourself or you did you get it restored by a pro?" (mostly asked by grandpas)
• "How old is it?" - "It's brand spanking new" - "No way....!"
• "It's a copy of a Triumph Bonneville, isn't it?" - "No, it's not!" (grumble....)
• "How much is it?" - "Under six and a half grand" - "No way!!!"

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 07:46:58 pm by LongMan »

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 08:22:43 pm
Nice bike and mods. Welcome to the addiction  :)
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

LongMan

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 08:30:26 pm
Nice bike and mods. Welcome to the addiction  :)

Thanks!  :D

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 08:33:21 pm
Nice bike, and great first post!

Fully agree with your observation on the need for meatier grips...

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:01:54 pm
Would love the german prices here in austria my chrom gt is allmost 8.000€ .
Isle of rügen, germany .
Wachau austria

LongMan

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:09:39 pm
Would love the german prices here in austria my chrom gt is allmost 8.000€ .

Different VAT rates... However the GT Chrome is 700,-€ dearer than the standard colored Interceptor here, 7180,-€.

Be glad you are not living in Denmark. They have a registration tax of 105% for the first app. 4500,-€ of the bikes value, and 150% for the rest that exceeds 4500,-€. The standard GT650 will be probably more expensive in Denmark than a Thruxton 1200R will be in Austria...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 10:40:49 pm
enjoy the ride!

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 10:41:46 pm
Regarding meatier grips, this is what I have and really like them!
https://youtu.be/ZiWPYMK5xVc
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

LongMan

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 10:55:09 pm

That wrap arounds look really tasteful, already saw that on Stuart Fillinghams channel. However I'm not sure how long they keep up against rain, sun, and constantly being wrung by the rider. After all it is still sticky tape that holds them together. With the Lo Bros I like the barrel shape, and their relatively soft material. Had checked some knockoffs as the Lo Bros are pretty expensive over here, but the quality and great feeling of the originals is unmatched.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 11:45:26 pm
I tried these...I now have them on all of my bikes...love 'em.  As for holding up...no problems yet..."real" leather is good stuff...I mean it is the skin of the cow...cows seem to last quite a long while out in the elements!

I find the "grip" between my leather gloves and the leather wraps to be really positive.

The sticky tape is not what really holds the leather on....it helps during the installation...but if you wrap them tightly...you could wrap them without the sticky.

And...when they wear out....I will simply replace them!

Cookie

LongMan

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 12:28:34 am
I mean it is the skin of the cow...cows seem to last quite a long while out in the elements!

I find the "grip" between my leather gloves and the leather wraps to be really positive.

Wow, now you planted a picture in my brain ;D
Could you imagine to peel off the butt of one of this nice guys to wrap it around your handle bar? Apart from the feeling you're grabbing a cow butt any time you ride your bike... ;D

raygun58

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 12:52:28 am
Welcome to the club! The 'advertisement' on the back of the seat looks good. 

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 01:03:28 am
I tried these...I now have them on all of my bikes...love 'em.  As for holding up...no problems yet..."real" leather is good stuff...I mean it is the skin of the cow...cows seem to last quite a long while out in the elements!

The sticky tape is not what really holds the leather on....it helps during the installation...but if you wrap them tightly...you could wrap them without the sticky.

And...when they wear out....I will simply replace them!

Cookie
The top of my $500.00 Corbin seat is fine soft leather.  It is the 5th such Corbin seat that I have owned.  Not a single problem with any of them.  And zero numb-butt to boot.  They are worth the money if you spend long stretches in the saddle!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:08:12 am by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

LongMan

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 01:12:29 am
The top of my $500.00 Corbin seat is fine soft leather.  It is the 5th such Corbin seat that I have owned.  Not a single problem with any of them.
I ordered the Gunfighter solo, same color scheme as your Gunfighter&Lady. Have no use for a pillion seat. Takes 12 weeks to manufacture and ship. 500$? Lucky you... this seat is $867 here in  Germany incl. tax and shipping.

LongMan

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 01:18:02 am
I ordered the Gunfighter solo, same color scheme as your Gunfighter&Lady. Have no use for a pillion seat. Takes 12 weeks to manufacture and ship. 500$? Lucky you... this seat is $867 here in  Germany incl. tax and shipping.

Here's a small mockup how the bikes shape might look with the Gunfighter and the short exhaust I already ordered.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 01:40:34 am
That's a great story and a fine looking bike! I have stubby fingers. Not presidential but still a bit stubby. I did the leather wrap on my Interceptor but my Triumph has the barrel shaped grips. Still thinking a set of those would be nice.

BRG-BIRD

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 02:33:46 am
Welcome! I really like your seat

LongMan

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 03:28:59 am
Welcome! I really like your seat
Thanks! Did the outline for the seat myself, the upholsterer then put the seat together after my drawings. So this seat is "one of a kind", and may it be only for the "proper advertising" on the back ;D The cushion material is adapted to my weight, soft enough to be really comfortable, but firm enough to not compress like the stock seat. The price was more than adequate: App. 100,-€ less than a Triumph Bonneville original seat, and app. a third of what Corbin asks for a Gunfighter seat here in Germany (they are considerably cheaper in U.S.).

Marcsen

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 09:48:09 am
Yup danmark taxes are crazy.  Iam original from germany at the danmark border
Isle of rügen, germany .
Wachau austria

BRG-BIRD

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 04:52:02 pm
Thank you for the pictures and description, looks great

Tuchulcha

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 12:04:19 am
Welcome LongMan and congrats on the new Interceptor!  The seat you have is great!  Keep posting updates!

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 11:41:35 pm
Nice looking bike - I have the same color scheme and love it here. I like your mods as well, though I am quite a bit shorter and don't need bar risers. I did wrap the grips in the leather grip tape, which is wonderful out on the road. I plan on ordering a new exhaust at some point in the spring, I think.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

LongMan

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 07:34:46 am
Nice looking bike - I have the same color scheme and love it here. I like your mods as well, though I am quite a bit shorter and don't need bar risers. I did wrap the grips in the leather grip tape, which is wonderful out on the road. I plan on ordering a new exhaust at some point in the spring, I think.
Thanks! But I have no bar raisers mounted, this is the stock handle bar. Actually I‘m planning to mount a slightly lower and wider handle bar without the cross bar.

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 12:42:00 pm
Ah right - I misread your original post and saw bar risers when in fact you said you were planning to lower the bars. One great thing about the bike is how customizable it is, as you're already discovering. Cheers!
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three