Author Topic: Euro 5 motorcycle emission requirements  (Read 3094 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: August 18, 2019, 01:47:21 am
Here is a long article regarding the impact that Euro 5 emission regulations will have on motorcycles starting next year. This is quite a long article, so if you really don't care about the subject you might not want to invest the time to read it. But I found it interesting. It sounds to me like the Interceptor 650 might be the RE model most impacted by these new requirements:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/euro-5-emissions-what-they-mean-to-motorcycles
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 12:34:02 pm
Here is a long article regarding the impact that Euro 5 emission regulations will have on motorcycles starting next year. This is quite a long article, so if you really don't care about the subject you might not want to invest the time to read it. But I found it interesting. It sounds to me like the Interceptor 650 might be the RE model most impacted by these new requirements:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/euro-5-emissions-what-they-mean-to-motorcycles

I have no doubt that in some year down the line a ways they will come up with legislation that requires manufacturers to develop software buried somewhere in the bike that makes is so that if you dare to have the audacity to touch ANY part other than the hand grips the bike will become unstartable and immoveable until the owner attends a reeducation class (two hours a day for three days) on what the word freedom "actually" means in this lunatic "New World Order".

The bike will then have to be taken to a government approved technician to have the disable code removed. If it happens again, every wire and bulb on the bike will instantly melt down and release all the smoke and then the battery will melt down like Chernobyl.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 01:38:27 pm
RE have been working on a new engine for the Bullet, and with the investment that went into the Himalayan and 650 twins, I would seriously hope that their R&D team in the UK would have had the next round of emissions regs very much in mind, given the current eco-political climate. If not, that's an awful lot of money down the drain.

Meanwhile hang onto those AVL and cast iron Bullets as well as any Redditch RE's you might have! They ain't making any more of 'em.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 01:42:34 pm
        I have no doubt that in some year down the line a ways they will come up with legislation that requires manufacturers to develop software buried somewhere in the bike that makes is so that if you dare to have the audacity to touch ANY part other than the hand grips the bike will become unstartable and immoveable until the owner attends a reeducation class (two hours a day for three days) on what the word freedom "actually" means in this lunatic "New World Order".

The bike will then have to be taken to a government approved technician to have the disable code removed. If it happens again, every wire and bulb on the bike will instantly melt down and release all the smoke and then the battery will melt down like Chernobyl.

I think you misread the government's (and especially the EU's) motives. They will send you a demand for a nice big $$$ fine and allow the vehicle to keep running in the hopes that you will make a similar mistake again.  Governments around the world seem to be more interested in collecting money than helping global warming or all of the other problems that they cry about every day in the news media.  :o

When you dig down to the bottom of the government cesspool, what you find at the bottom is an interest in money and the belief that politicians and bureaucrats know better how to spend (or keep) it than you do.  ::)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 05:19:23 pm
I think you misread the government's (and especially the EU's) motives. They will send you a demand for a nice big $$$ fine and allow the vehicle to keep running in the hopes that you will make a similar mistake again.  Governments around the world seem to be more interested in collecting money than helping global warming or all of the other problems that they cry about every day in the news media.  :o

When you dig down to the bottom of the government cesspool, what you find at the bottom is an interest in money and the belief that politicians and bureaucrats know better how to spend (or keep) it than you do.  ::)

I'm totally in agreement with you in both of those paragraphs.

I've been watching them like a hawk since the '50s and they have just gotten better and better at keeping people fat, dumb and happy and voting for them. If people who actually study what's going on and know all the history and back stories and lies that become dogmatic truth dare to raise their heads or, godforbid, their voices, they are shut up in any one of the many clever ways they've come up with over these many years to shut us up. And it works; especially in the schools where it starts in kindergarten and first grade and continues right on until they get some useless degree that allows them to become a community organizer with whatever their favorite bullhorn is and then run for the Senate in a few years and from there on to becoming a multi-millionaire. All by fucking the people who just go to work every day who pay all the bills. What a country. Enjoy it while it lasts, folks. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 08:16:38 pm

[...Snip!]

Meanwhile hang onto those AVL and cast iron Bullets as well as any Redditch RE's you might have! They ain't making any more of 'em.

A.

Truer words were never spoken. In fact, if you've got a shed with a little space in it, I expect you could make a worse investment than mothballing some old carby Bullet in there for "later". Find some old sub-$2,000 winter bargain runner, prep it for hibernation (change all fluids including fork oil and filters, run or drain carb bowl dry, drain fuel tank, swish some motor or Marvel Mystery Oil around in it, squirt a little fogging oil or Marvel into the cylinder, remove battery, lube cables, empty a couple of cans of WD-40 or similar all over it except the saddle--use Armor All for that, slather shiny bits with Turtle Wax or similar Chrome Polish and don't bother buffing it off, set piston to top dead center and a tad to release pressure on valve springs, and just toss a cover over it [these 2-tone ones for just $14.80 delivered ain't half bad inside or out...Mine's going on 2 years of mixed use]). Roll that Bullet out into the spring sunshine again in 10 or 15 years, and I'd be astonished if you didn't at least quadruple your investment tax-free from those eager to (re)experience the visceral and elemental pleasures of a carburetted thumper so utterly lacking in what by then will be the available crop of guaranteed character-free Nanny-State-Approved rides. Hell, here in the States in just 13 years even the last of the Iron Bellies will qualify for antique plates, which'll get you off the hook forever for inspections, some taxes and all sorts of bureaucratic impedimenta, depending on locale. That'll just be another selling point. In fact, that's a pretty good reason right now to take a close look at any  nice old pre-'94 vehicles, whatever the brand or type, if your state's not too ruthless in its restrictions on usage of antique plates. Remember: EVERY  ride is a mechanical testing event!

Seriously though, why not let those cultural and political processes of pasteurization, homogenization and pussification work for you? Stop just shouting at the clouds and stow away an old Bullet for the future!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:01:02 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 11:33:10 pm
It's not just about protecting your riding future, it's also about protecting those iron barrels and AVLs from really awful custom "builds" at the hands of clueless hiptsters...

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 11:56:21 pm
Truer words were never spoken...
 Roll that Bullet out into the spring sunshine again in 10 or 15 years, and I'd be astonished...
You wouldn't be the only one astonished.
In 15 years, I'll be 90 and I'll be astonished if they don't have to roll me out too.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 12:37:48 am
You wouldn't be the only one astonished.
In 15 years, I'll be 90 and I'll be astonished if they don't have to roll me out too.

And here I thought you were so young  ;) ;) ;D :o 8) ::) :-X