Author Topic: INT 650 as primiary motorcycle  (Read 5653 times)

devil2310

• Scooter
  • USA 2020 INT 650 Baker Express
on: June 12, 2020, 04:42:54 pm
Hi All,

I am in the US and I am looking to buy a new INT 650. I am curious to know as how may people use it or GT650 as their primary motorcycle?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 05:25:40 pm
Hi All,

I am in the US and I am looking to buy a new INT 650. I am curious to know as how may people use it or GT650 as their primary motorcycle?
I do(ish). I have other bikes but I can see no reason that I couldn't have just the RE as a primary.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 06:15:15 pm
I wouldn't want to use my INT 650 on the Interstates. Trucker turbulence and cross/quartering high winds could cause a bit of buffeting. It's the weight not the drivetrain, etc..

Greytop

• Grease Monkey
  • UK 2019 Interceptor
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 06:26:54 pm
Hi All,

I'm in the UK and my Interceptor is my only bike having returned to motorcycling after a ~20 year hiatus.
A slightly different proposition to my old FZR1000 but fun never the less :)
Previous bikes: FS1E, TS185, KH250, RD250D, CB400N, RD350LC, GSF600 Bandit, CB900F, FZR1000.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 06:57:57 pm
That is an odd question to me....

Why wouldn't / couldn't one use this as a primary bike?....or a touring bike....or a commuting bike..or a city bike...or a country bike...or an interstate bike, or  a twisty back roads bike?

Cookie

Hi All,

devil2310

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 07:32:09 pm
Well my question was from the reliability point of view and to understand how many people consider these reliable enough to use them as primary bikes.
I know the twins have much better quality as compared to the other bikes royal enfield sells.

Why wouldn't / couldn't one use this as a primary bike?....or a touring bike....or a commuting bike..or a city bike...or a country bike...or an interstate bike, or  a twisty back roads bike?

Cookie

devil2310

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 07:34:15 pm
Mostly the bike will be used for commuting and riding on back roads but there would be occasional interstate usage too. I guess it should be able to handle occasional rides on the interstate..don't know how much effective a fly screen would be.

I wouldn't want to use my INT 650 on the Interstates. Trucker turbulence and cross/quartering high winds could cause a bit of buffeting. It's the weight not the drivetrain, etc..

Mav

• Bulleteer
  • Nottingham UK
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 08:00:32 pm
The bike is ok on UK motorways, plenty of power to overtake. I wouldn't want to travel for many hours on a motorway with it though. I would say it is as reliable as any bike.
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 08:58:22 pm
from my small personal experience..(about 3000 miles) but also from long term reviews on the "net"....the Interceptor 650 is about as reliable as you can get....no major reliability issues.....(possible a few tiny minor issues...but this can happen with any brand of bike)

Even the so called "brand name" bikes are actually built in factories in various countries...like Triumph is built in Thailand.   My Suzuki was built in Spain..my Honda was built in Malaysia...

I thing modern manufacturing methods, as well as computer design has made a pretty level playing field as far as quality over different brands, and places or manufacture.

RE is using Bosch electronics...ECU....ABS brakes etc.  Brakes themselves are Brembo cheepo version, still good...

Hey, if you have doubts aobut "modern" Royal Enfiled..just watch "Itchy Boots"  she's traveled the world, mostly off road..on a Himalaya...

Cookie

Well my question was from the reliability point of view and to understand how many people consider these reliable enough to use them as primary bikes.
I know the twins have much better quality as compared to the other bikes royal enfield sells.

kramer921

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 09:05:16 pm
Mine’s my primary bike.  I live in a big city but take it on longer trips regularly (a mix of highways and backroads); I find it’s great for the city and totally adequate for the rest. 

I’ve only ever owned naked cafes and standards, though, so it could be a case of not knowing what I’m missing.

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 09:29:33 pm
Mostly the bike will be used for commuting and riding on back roads but there would be occasional interstate usage too. I guess it should be able to handle occasional rides on the interstate..don't know how much effective a fly screen would be.

Here in Texas even our side roads qualify as high-speed roads, and our freeways are generally 70+ mph (which means traffic moves sometimes near 90). I keep to the slow lane, and under 80, and it's stable with knees gripping tank. Some wobbles because the tires are not the greatest, but nothing dangerous. Flyscreen, for me at least, doesn't seem to do much. I'm 5'8" and the wind seems to hit me right in the helmet. But I keep it on to give me a place to mount the TXTag toll pass, plus it protects the USB socket which I got from Hitchcock. I don't ride in to work because I don't like commuting in our miserable traffic, so I'm mostly a weekend morning rider.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 11:25:31 pm

Cookie

Because 'Murica.  The rest of the world would ride around the planet on a SR500 but in the US a bike under 650cc is only good for a trip to the shops  ;)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 11:37:21 pm
Because 'Murica.  The rest of the world would ride around the planet on a SR500 but in the US a bike under 650cc is only good for a trip to the shops  ;)

Obviously, you have spent some time here in The 'Murica. Until recently I had a K1200RS and going from California to Colorado, I spent a lot of time testing to find 7th gear  ;)

Still, the RE 650 would be fine to ride coast to coast. (just need to add that beer and pizza holder)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 11:58:36 pm
Obviously, you have spent some time here in The 'Murica. Until recently I had a K1200RS and going from California to Colorado, I spent a lot of time testing to find 7th gear  ;)

Still, the RE 650 would be fine to ride coast to coast. (just need to add that beer and pizza holder)

;D ;D
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

EmmKay2018

• Bulleteer
  • Motorbike Enthusiast
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 12:08:03 am
Here in Texas even our side roads qualify as high-speed roads, and our freeways are generally 70+ mph (which means traffic moves sometimes near 90). I keep to the slow lane, and under 80, and it's stable with knees gripping tank. Some wobbles because the tires are not the greatest, but nothing dangerous. Flyscreen, for me at least, doesn't seem to do much. I'm 5'8" and the wind seems to hit me right in the helmet. But I keep it on to give me a place to mount the TXTag toll pass, plus it protects the USB socket which I got from Hitchcock. I don't ride in to work because I don't like commuting in our miserable traffic, so I'm mostly a weekend morning rider.

Agree. I've mostly driven in the countryside evenings, mornings and weekends. It is a fantastic bike for pleasure riding. Once in a while I ride on freeways when I have no choice, and my observation is that if you go above 80mph with winds 12mph+, you will feel the wobble/shake/vibration. The flyscreen is mostly ornamental, and I have a tall one. I am close to 6ft in height, and hardly see any difference on wind, but does a decent job on bugs - hence it is called flyshield, not windshield  ;)

Owns 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650