Author Topic: What did you do to your RE Continental GT today?  (Read 390311 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1095 on: October 03, 2020, 10:20:38 pm
So. You mean they don’t need no stinkin’ gov mint. They’s just cheap SOBs?
  Probably.

Yep. That.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1096 on: October 03, 2020, 10:28:48 pm
So I stuck in a superbrightleds.com 5711 in the rear and everything started working.

I had installed the PC V. I talked to a support guy. There was no blanking plug and loop plug for the O sensor on the header. Over the phone, I was told to keep the sensor plugged in. They found out the system works better without the blanking. Good news!

In other hot news, the next run of ACE Motors Air Kit 3 (ACE Derottone air intakes) production run prototype was installed by yours truly on this GT. Big fat hint: it involves 3D printing. I installed this prototype with the very nice, easily obtained Spectre air filter.
  It worked a treat today on the George Washington Parkway. It runs parallel to the Potomac River on the Virginia side.
  I hit 269 miles on my 2014 GT 535. It’s breaking in nicely. How did I find such a deal???? ACE and my buds at Cycles of Silver Spring (Maryland). That’s Jeremy and Rush.
  Next, more break in miles.
   After that, a newer and improveder cylinder head.

More good news — I’m enjoying riding this thing.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1097 on: October 03, 2020, 10:33:43 pm
Yep. That.

Ocams razor. Sometimes the simple answer is the right one.
   They’s just cheap SOBs.
Life is better with funky rubber. Maybe.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1098 on: October 03, 2020, 10:59:19 pm
   They’s just cheap SOBs.

I still love riding the bike, though. It's a lot of fun.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1099 on: October 04, 2020, 12:10:59 am
I still love riding the bike, though. It's a lot of fun.

Yeah. It’s got a Harris frame for gosh sakes!!!

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #1100 on: October 05, 2020, 03:56:59 pm
Not just today but over the past month.

Having returned home on this not so fine chariot

I decided rather than replace the dead R/R with another low quality shunt unit, I'd put a proper MOSFET one there

To get it in the same area as the original you do have to shim the mudflap thingy out a couple of mm (and it's still very snug, would be easier on a Bullet)

I take no credit for the above, it's a very common mod on older Jap Sports Bikes. No more worrying about when the R/R will die and the battery go pop.

As everything was in bits doing the above changed the cap and lead as well. No need but I had them both on a shelf and figured they would look better on a bike.

Friday just been had a very cheeky offer accepted on a used PCV. Price was good enough for me to drive over 4 hours round trip in the dark and torrential rain to collect it. It has Hitchcocks map for aftermarket filter and can. I have factory sports exhaust and aftermarket filter.... close enough I figure. 2 hour break in the weather today allowed me to finally ride it, it now idles properly and the throttle is noticeably smoother.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1101 on: October 05, 2020, 04:53:19 pm
Looks excellent. I assume you’re in the UK somewhere?
  I get my RRs from http://roadstercycle.com/
Yours looks the same.
I just got another PCV for the GT I’m working on.
Are you adding the ACE/Derottone air filter kit? The Air Kit 3?
Cheers,
Bill

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #1102 on: October 05, 2020, 06:08:42 pm
Hi Bill,

Living in Wiltshire, Southwest England. Fairly new to RE's bought this CGT in February.

The R/R is a Shindengen FH012AA, used in lots of Jap bikes from the last decade or so. Breakers sell them cheaper than the Chinese clones can be bought new. I think you probably have the newer FH020AA, I don't know what the difference is though. The whole mod cost me less than replacing the OEM thing which at £80-ish from H's is surprisingly expensive. I used a Motobatt MB9U but I think I missed a trick here. I should have gone Lithium and could have halved the size of the battery box, giving me a lovely bit of space to mount the R/R and neatly house some of the wiring.

I've read up on the ACE air filter kit here, it's on the plans but next year (along with a few other things). It's my GSXR's turn for attention this winter. The PCV wasn't planned till next year but at £120 I couldn't leave it  ;D . For the CGT this Winter I want to firm up the front end a little as I have bottomed it out a few times and need to change the rear tyre which has worn surprisingly fast.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1103 on: October 05, 2020, 09:44:40 pm
The Motobatts have a practical feature. Their terminals are versatile. They increase the possibility of getting connected!
 So far the RRs on the RE bikes haven't been a problem.
Good like out there on the plains of Wiltshire. I'm in the northern Virginia area, dodging traffic.
Bill

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1104 on: October 05, 2020, 10:47:20 pm
Your towie has terrible motorbike tying down skills.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #1105 on: October 06, 2020, 07:46:04 am
After waiting over 3 hours sat on the verge in the Sun he could have thrown the thing on sideways and I wouldn't have paid attention. Seat sprung straight back so no harm done this time. Aircon didn't work in the cab so the bloke turned up with ice cream and cigarettes, wasn't sure if I was being recovered or groomed.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #1106 on: October 08, 2020, 04:16:30 pm
   They’s just cheap SOBs.

Maybe? ....100% guaranteed, fancy plastic is good at times too.

I just couldn't stand the sticking out oil switch on the engine cover, so I've put there a fancy plastic tubing and relocated the pressure switch to a suitable location.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1107 on: October 08, 2020, 10:13:48 pm
Maybe? ....100% guaranteed, fancy plastic is good at times too.

I just couldn't stand the sticking out oil switch on the engine cover, so I've put there a fancy plastic tubing and relocated the pressure switch to a suitable location.
I think that looks a lot better with the switch more hidden.
Nice.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1108 on: October 08, 2020, 10:21:53 pm
I think that looks a lot better with the switch more hidden.
Nice.

Yup.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

wr6133

• Scooter
Reply #1109 on: October 10, 2020, 08:38:42 am
Took it out yesterday to give it a decent length shakedown after the R/R and PCV.

PCV has made a big difference to how the bike "feels". Amazing how much a bike is spoiled by mapping for emissions testing, also it now pulls to 5k in top on the flat (eventually), previously it would not do this.

"Rev-Xtend", seems to not work. Or more accurately occasionally work. I got to 5.5k rpm a couple of times by teasing it past at about 70% throttle in 3rd or 4th. If I just pinned the throttle I hit a limiter. I wondered if it was the canned map from H's, so pulled over and plugged in a laptop. The values at 5k+ at WOT were all minus figures (mix of -10 & -15), Changed to positive figures to see if it made a difference, it didn't. Probably shouldn't be playing with it on stock internals anyway, though I'm now a mix of annoyed and curious as to why it seems to only partially work.

After stopping for a Coffee Electric boot decided to not work, also neutral light stopped working. Started on the kick. Got home and noticed more quality wiring,

Clutch switch was trying to spit out a cable, pushing that back in sorted the electric start.

Neutral switch though appears to be a damaged wire. Bike runs fine so I'll order one next time I order service parts.

The quality of the wires on this bike seem to be a real Achilles heel. I've never actually seen wire that is so low quality before, I reckon if I went out today with the aim of buying the worst quality wire I could find it would still be better than what is used on these bikes. Rubber parts are just as bad, I replaced most of the pipes and tubes right after I bought it (with 237 miles on the clock). If they keep degrading at their current rate I can imagine in 5 years time I'll be making a loom  ;D

A nice view across Salisbury Plain yesterday morning.