Author Topic: 2019 Bullet B5 Rear Brake?  (Read 16331 times)

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: October 07, 2019, 09:56:31 pm
Since I'm interested in the MG V7 as well, last night I was thinking that I should also consider the new RE twin Interceptor, since they are similar in many respects, but cheaper than the V7.  I know right now the twins have spoked wheels, but it's probably just a matter of time before alloys are an optional extra.  And they could be shod with the Pirelli MT60s as well.  I'll give them all a test ride and hopefully be able to just settle on one to bring back home!

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 02:45:45 am
The B5 and C5s were built in a completely different factory using different production methods than the new Himalayan and the twins as far as I understand. They are only slightly better quality wise than the old iron barrel. The new bikes are supposed to be way better quality. But they seem to be considerably more expensive OTD. RENA did not exist when I bought my 2013 B5. The MSRP on it was $4999, and it cost me just over $6100 OTD, and that included delivery to my house around 100 miles away. It also included $500 worth of sales tax. So all the other fees were very minimal. When I checked on buying a new Himalayan, which has an MSRP $400 less than the B5 did at the time, The OTD cost was going to be nearly $800 more than it was for the B5, with no delivery. This was a different dealer. This is on par with any Japanese or European dealer around here. $400 of it was for "doc fees" which is nothing more than additional dealer markup. And it is for a bike that is yet unproven. When the new bikes have been around 10 years and have established a reliability record, raising the price some may be justified. But because Royal Enfield has had a bad reputation from the very beginning 120 years ago (so have all other British bikes) it is unlikely may will be willing to pay Japanese or European prices for them. I bought mine as a cheap alternative to the 1966 Triumph Bonneville I had back in the mid '80s.

I am not even considering a Japanese or European bike, at least not new. The Triumph T-100 Bonneville literally costs twice what the base RE twin does, and does not look nearly as good to me. Same thing with a Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, etc. I was looking at the Himalayan because I liked it's looks, I could actually get on it, but mostly because of the price, which turned out to be a lot higher than I thought it would be. I already have the B5, maybe I should just consider using that as an adventure bike. People have ridden around the world on the old Iron Barrel Bullets, though they were rarely trouble free.

If you are considering a bike with tube type tires, make sure you are capable of fixing a flat by yourself unless you never intend to ride alone. There was a time in my life when doing so was a piece of cake, but not anymore. It also just plain upsets me that wire spoked wheels for tubeless tires have been around for decades now, yet even high dollar bikes continue to use tube type tires. 
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson