Author Topic: New to Arizona riding, not new to RE - Why should I consider an INTerceptor?  (Read 4837 times)

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
It's been 3 years since I last rode a motorcycle, having sold a nice Moto Guzzi Breva 750 back in Seattle.

I used to be quite active on the forum, and even test rode an AVL Electra down at Vince's old shop in Olympia, WA.

In Seattle, I bought the first C5 on the market in 2010, and was fully in love with the Bullet for a short time.  Then the problems came that drove me to sell the unreliable thing and get better quality, which the Guzzi's were.

But, now I live west of Phoenix in weather that is almost year around riding friendly.  July/August have hellish heat. 

So, there is a dealer not too far that has the 650 line of Royal Enfields.  They look great, sound great on the videos, and seem to be a step up from the single cylinder RE's. 

I'm looking also at the Triumph T100 and Street Twin models. 

I've read through some threads and noted things, but what are riders' impressions after having been on the 650's for more than the honeymoon period? 

Thanks.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Hi, there are two guys in the UK who recently did long term reviews on the Interceptor: Search Missendon Flyer (also has the Speed Twin) and Stuart Fillingham (also has a T100 and T120). They seem to love them.

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
It's been 3 years since I last rode a motorcycle, having sold a nice Moto Guzzi Breva 750 back in Seattle.

But, now I live west of Phoenix in weather that is almost year around riding friendly.  July/August have hellish heat. 

So, there is a dealer not too far that has the 650 line of Royal Enfields.  They look great, sound great on the videos, and seem to be a step up from the single cylinder RE's. 

I've read through some threads and noted things, but what are riders' impressions after having been on the 650's for more than the honeymoon period? 

Yes, Phoenix can be hellish hot.  Once I rode my Yamhaha 850 to a movie theater for an afternoon movie.  It was hotter than the hubs of hell and I put the bike up on its center stand.  While I was watching movies the sun went down and it cooled off.  When I got back to my bike, the center stand had sunk into the asphalt pavement until the rear wheel was resting on the ground, the soft asphalt had flowed back in over the center stand feet, and hardened when it cooled off.  Thankfully I carried a 4" Buck folding knife.  It took me 4 hours to dig and chip that &^%$! bike loose!

If you are worried about the reliability of the new Royal Enfield bikes, get on Youtube and search for Itchy Boots.  She has ridden her Himalyan all over the world.  Alone.  In some of the most desolate places imaginable.  I have done considerable work on my Interceptor ... pannier mounts, seat, headlight, GPS, etc. etc. and it seems built like a tank.  I did read somewhere that the wheel bearings only last about 15,000 miles, but heck, those are inexpensively replaced with the highest quality bearings on the planet.

I have heard of recalls on the Triumphs and have seen several videos comparing the RE Interceptor to them ... consensus is that the Triumphs cost three times the money but are no better than the RE except for maybe a second faster zero to 60  I was in my teens back when the big twins ... Triumph, BSA, Norton, Royal Enfield ... were THE bikes to lust after.  The Interceptor looks VERY much like an old late-60's Norton (they used to be called Snortin' Norton) and they would move.  Triumphs don't look like that, just vaguely similar.
https://youtu.be/TD5r7gcI1A4
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:58:07 pm by jimku »
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
I think the trade off is.......you may give up some Japanese quality but you get an authentic retro sort of British bike.

there are more reviews out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmIA9BlLelo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6qXM_N34TI
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead

As someone who owns a 2010 C5 and a 2019 Interceptor, I would say the fit, finish, quality, ride, slow and high speed handling are a quantum change.  Definitely better in all these aspects than a new Japanese bike that I also owned recently. The Interceptor is definitely fun to ride as well.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC

Thanks.

If you're lucky the honeymoon never ends!😁 I have a 2018 Speedmaster and the Interceptor 650. The Triumph is equipped to haul my wife and dog, with touring windshield, hard bags, Corbin seat and luggage rack. It has a lot of power, comfort and I drag the footpegs every time I ride.

The RE 650 is much simpler and I'm keeping it that way. It is for me to ride solo and to tinker with. From the factory it runs much better than the Triumph. There are hundreds of accessories to choose from. It is simple to maintain and modify. I noticed that I have more miles on the 650 than on the Triumph. It just feels better. I know that is purely subjective and doesn't apply to everyone.

I think most of the complaints I have read are from inept riders and worse mechanics. The factory calls for the first valve adjustment at 300 miles. Indian mechanics routinely tell their customers to ignore the factory recommended maintenance schedule😳. Riders who say things like "when I stomp on the rear brake the pedal vibrates and the bike doesn't slow down". They have never used the front and don't know what ABS is.

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA

I think most of the complaints I have read are from inept riders and worse mechanics. The factory calls for the first valve adjustment at 300 miles. Indian mechanics routinely tell their customers to ignore the factory recommended maintenance schedule😳. Riders who say things like "when I stomp on the rear brake the pedal vibrates and the bike doesn't slow down". They have never used the front and don't know what ABS is.

I definitely noticed that sort of thing too.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
ok you said you have been on this forum begore so here is what I think-
ive had 15 C5's I think or roughly that - so on todays market the lot would equal my 650 interceptor.
in fact I ran almost 200 miles on the interceptor today.
my opinion would be -the 650 is by far the best bike ever made by enfield although I could be wrong as ive only spent $150K on them as it took a while to get a good one...LOL
saying that I have not ruled out the idea of another C5 at a later date-the trials version.
after-all the C5 is a very good looking bike and has great character but its just not as reliable as the 650
at the moment I like the idea I can point the interceptor out the road and do 200/300 klm and do it trouble free without concern
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:24:53 am by wildbill »

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Thank you for the great replies.  I have watched several videos yesterday and today, most from England.  I'm liking what I'm seeing. 

This coming week I hope to test ride a new T100 and then the INT650. 

In the meantime, I will peruse the threads.

Quick question:  What do USA dealers want in $$ for the 300-mile service?
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Doesn't look like much. You can download the owners manual from the website. Oil/filter, valves. I would go over nuts/bolts. Nothing average owner couldn't do. I personally wouldn't bring my bike back to dealer except for warranty/recalls.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Thank you for the great replies.  I have watched several videos yesterday and today, most from England.  I'm liking what I'm seeing. 

This coming week I hope to test ride a new T100 and then the INT650. 

In the meantime, I will peruse the threads.

Quick question:  What do USA dealers want in $$ for the 300-mile service?

I think the local shop wanted $350 for the service. A local independent shop says $200. There are no special tools or techniques required. If you can operate a box wrench (spanner) and a feeler gauge, you can do it all yourself. ;D

Ove

• Grease Monkey
There's also an excellent utube vid on the valve adjustments, including avoiding taking the tank off. I think it was 'Tec Bike Parts'.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
the new street scrambler I had was a very good bike; the honda cb500X especially the 019 plate was probably the best bike I have bought to date in all areas and keenly price.
only thing going it had no soul...…….lol
a guy in aust has just clock 100k on a cb500x and touched nothing-that is exactly what the dealer told me too.
valve adjustment with tank on would be a struggle I think. I thought about it and decided to pull the tank.
my tank pull youtube clip shows what is involved plus adjusting the valves too and so far -for a first attempt and 3500kl later-I am pretty pleased with the end result of the work involved

LVNVINT650

• Scooter
I think the local shop wanted $350 for the service. A local independent shop says $200. There are no special tools or techniques required. If you can operate a box wrench (spanner) and a feeler gauge, you can do it all yourself. ;D

Rod, Eurocycle quoted me 590$ out the door............Main Street Moto did it for 275$ . I have already booked my next service with them. 70$ for an oil change....Eurocycle wanted 165$.......so you know who my main mechanic is going to be.
2019 Royal Enfield INT650 Baker Express

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Couple things come to mind:

caveat emptor

you get what you pay for

there's a sucker born every minute

Learn to do your own work

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

Shall I go on...

Cookie

Rod, Eurocycle quoted me 590$ out the door............Main Street Moto did it for 275$ . I have already booked my next service with them. 70$ for an oil change....Eurocycle wanted 165$.......so you know who my main mechanic is going to be.