Author Topic: Any Trouble with Heated Jacket/Gear?  (Read 9009 times)

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #45 on: October 18, 2020, 04:02:41 pm
At 64° F today my heated liner running 42 watts, 3.5 amps was blazing hot on the low setting.  I bumped it up to high on the last bit if the ride and it did well with the bike.  It was 61° F at this point.

couldn't see any problem with the system. 12 v harness directly to the battery.

I think this is enough heat to get me through the fall.
good to test/troubleshoot problems before you need it. I like to engage 4 wheel drive in my truck to make sure it works before I get to the rough stuff.
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: October 18, 2020, 11:09:57 pm
I hate the cold about as much as anything else I hate.  There's a list somewhere. 

today it was around 55 degrees F.  happy to have a working liner

I think the system is fine for some heated hear.  I'm not worried
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:19:03 pm by Bagonne »

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #47 on: October 18, 2020, 11:29:04 pm
It's a taste of mansplaining women get all the time. LOL. JP33090 - I'm *not* saying that's what you were doing, but I always laugh when guys get up in arms about shit women deal with all the time.

Meanwhile, I thought the same thing with 64* - but even if he was cold in that, shit, I'd understand. You never know and 64* feels different in different climates. In fact, I just pulled up my weather app and it's 64* here as I type...and my feet are cold.

That said, glad it all worked out and you got a good feel for the gear.

At 64ºF here, my wife starts a fire in our fireplace. Luckily it's a natural gas fireplace so it's essentially on/off. What's worse is she grew up up North but she says her blood has thinned living in TX these years.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #48 on: October 19, 2020, 12:01:25 am
176 trouble free miles today with several stops and start ups. Temperatures ranged between 48 and 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Speeds ranged from crawling to 90mph.The jacket and gloves spent most of the day on the medium setting. I was toasty warm all day long. I highly recommend heated gear for anyone who hates the cold!

davefry

• Scooter
Reply #49 on: October 19, 2020, 06:28:22 pm
Looks like the weather is going to be pretty warm - highs around 70. I guess you might want it in the morning...

That looks like a great trip - I've never done both sides in one trip. Usally just the dunes/Glen Arbor in the Summer and then Altanta/Gaylord in the Winter for the Sno*drift rally.

Come to think of it, I've never been over to Alpena yet...

You stopping at Tony's truck stop for bacon?

Following up with a few pics.
The battery operator heated vest was amazing! Call me a sissy all you want, but I was warm and comfortable the entire trip, and it was 45 in the mornings.
Went up to the bridge, over to Sturgeon Bay Beach, down through the Tunnel of Trees to Petoskey, and then around Burt and Mullet Lakes on my way back to Alpena.
Great big trip tp close the season, I've done 6000 miles since May when brought her home.

Thanks for looking!

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #50 on: October 19, 2020, 07:32:55 pm
The battery operator heated vest was amazing! Call me a sissy all you want, but I was warm and comfortable the entire trip, and it was 45 in the mornings.
Went up to the bridge, over to Sturgeon Bay Beach, down through the Tunnel of Trees to Petoskey, and then around Burt and Mullet Lakes on my way back to Alpena.
Great big trip tp close the season, I've done 6000 miles since May when brought her home.

Thanks for looking!

Looks awesome. I love that part of MI but have never done on two wheels. I like your touring setup as well - looks like plenty of room left for you, and lots of good packable space. How did the Givi panniers hold up?

ceekay

• Grease Monkey
  • Bishop, CA
Reply #51 on: October 19, 2020, 08:09:48 pm

Thanks for looking!
I like the givis. I use them on my bikes. I also use heated gear though I would think battery heated gear would fall short over a multi day camp trip with no options to recharge though I have kept my tablet and phone charged using the bike so I guess you can do the same.

By the way I find the east to be an exotic place to ride with the rain and so green after many years in desert. I try and spend part of summer there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:12:00 pm by ceekay »
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where

past machines: BSA Lightning, HD FX1200, 75/6 BMW, 90/6, R80RT, R100RT, K75S, current machines: DR650, DL650.

mwmosser

• Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:42:32 pm by mwmosser »

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #53 on: October 19, 2020, 08:38:17 pm

Thanks for looking!

Lovely shots, thanks for sharing

eddiesgirl

• The only girl here.
  • Grease Monkey
  • Ventura, CA
Reply #54 on: October 20, 2020, 12:05:51 am
Amazing! Also, I think we're the only ones on here with silver spectres - such a nice look.

Thanks for looking!
2020 INT 650 Silver Spectre

Ventura, CA, USA

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #55 on: October 20, 2020, 03:16:04 pm
Nice!

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: October 21, 2020, 10:46:09 am
I have Gerbing heated gear. Jacket liner (8 amps) and gloves (2 amps). I ride throughout the year and feel the cold after an hour or so. I have now used them nearly all day on a bullet 500, without any power drain problems. The jacket liner is warm at setting 3 of 5.

The real beauty of heated kit is being relaxed in the cold and not having all the layers restricting movement. I ride with a long sleeve T-shirt, liner and leather jacket.  I think this will be the best £300 I've spent. The Gerbing kit is not the cheapest, but not that expensive compared to insulated winter gear. It has good quality materials and connectors and a lifetime warranty on the heating elements. The only downside I've noticed so far is, when I ride with mates, they need to stop, to warm up. That's when I get cold!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:49:56 am by Ove »

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #57 on: October 21, 2020, 12:59:26 pm
I have Gerbing heated gear. Jacket liner (8 amps) and gloves (2 amps). I ride throughout the year and feel the cold after an hour or so. I have now used them nearly all day on a bullet 500, without any power drain problems. The jacket liner is warm at setting 3 of 5.

The real beauty of heated kit is being relaxed in the cold and not having all the layers restricting movement. I ride with a long sleeve T-shirt, liner and leather jacket.  I think this will be the best £300 I've spent. The Gerbing kit is not the cheapest, but not that expensive compared to insulated winter gear. It has good quality materials and connectors and a lifetime warranty on the heating elements. The only downside I've noticed so far is, when I ride with mates, they need to stop, to warm up. That's when I get cold!
I'm a big fan of heated gear. I have used Gerbing products for a long time. I use it on long haul rides to keep my neck and shoulder muscles loose, even if I have to open the vents on my jacket.
 The company was gone for a while. Here is the story: https://gordonsheated.com/index.php/obituary
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #58 on: October 21, 2020, 10:54:40 pm
Glad I don't need that here. I have a big heavy jacket with quiited liner, waterproof winter gloves and a neck cuff, warm as toast.
2019 Interceptor

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #59 on: October 22, 2020, 10:58:34 pm
Yep, 4 months of the year, it sucks. However, on the other hand, our snakes only kill frogs... :)