Author Topic: Any Trouble with Heated Jacket/Gear?  (Read 9213 times)

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #60 on: October 23, 2020, 12:21:40 am
Yep, 4 months of the year, it sucks. However, on the other hand, our snakes only kill frogs... :)

Hahaha. I’ve often said I’d love to live in Australia some day, for many reasons. But then I’m reminded of all the killer wildlife there.

Haggisman

• Grease Monkey
  • Adelaide, Australia.
Reply #61 on: October 23, 2020, 01:16:53 am
You are in greater danger on the roads here in Oz, the wildlife isn't that bad
2019 Interceptor

Mark1971

• Scooter
  • Durham, UK, Classic 500
Reply #62 on: October 23, 2020, 11:41:49 am
Ove, did you wire direct to the battery on your 500? I've just bought a classic 500 and was worried about the power my Keis jacket would pull as it seems from other posts that the bike doesn't generate much power compared to say a Japanese bike. If your not finding any problems I think it's a green light for me to wire mine up.
Mark from Durham, UK
Classic 500 - Battle green 2020
Moto Guzzi V7 853 2022

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: October 31, 2020, 09:09:29 pm
Well...you guys got me thinking....maybe heated gear???  Extend the riding season?  Be more comfortable?

Just did a 50 mile ride today...temperature was 45 degrees...three jackets and two pants on....

Stayed pretty warm, except for hands got frozen...with insulated gloves too....

With heated jacket liner, and heated gloves, I could have had less bulky clothing, and hands might have done better...

So I went for it...I ordered a Gerbing 'kit"....includes heated jacket liner, heated gloves, controller, and battery harness....About $460....

Hope the RE doesn't blow up!!!

Cookie

retro-rex

• Scooter
Reply #64 on: October 31, 2020, 09:25:32 pm
Good Cookie, now you can ride up to Jumboland on Thursday. We're thinking of heading up early-probably between 12:00 and !:00 since it will get dark at 5:00. I'll let you know for sure when it gets closer.

John

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #65 on: October 31, 2020, 09:34:44 pm
Well...you guys got me thinking....maybe heated gear???  Extend the riding season?  Be more comfortable?

Just did a 50 mile ride today...temperature was 45 degrees...three jackets and two pants on....

Stayed pretty warm, except for hands got frozen...with insulated gloves too....

With heated jacket liner, and heated gloves, I could have had less bulky clothing, and hands might have done better...

So I went for it...I ordered a Gerbing 'kit"....includes heated jacket liner, heated gloves, controller, and battery harness....About $460....

Hope the RE doesn't blow up!!!

Cookie

If you’re experience is anything like mine, you’re going to love it. I opted for the hotwired gear as the controller is built directly into the gear itself so it’s one less item to tote around. But I have heard very good things about the gerbing setup.

BTW, still no problems on my end. Been riding around in some chilly temps feeling warm. The jacket liner is nice, but the gloves are really great. As you mentioned, it’s tough to keep your hands warm with gloves on that allow you to work the controls well. No riding the past couple days here as we got an early snowstorm.

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: October 31, 2020, 10:43:51 pm
Didn't see you there this past Thursday!

I figure I'm good for bike nights until January or February!

You are part of what convinced me to go heated gear!

Cookie

Good Cookie, now you can ride up to Jumboland on Thursday. We're thinking of heading up early-probably between 12:00 and !:00 since it will get dark at 5:00. I'll let you know for sure when it gets closer.

John

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #67 on: November 01, 2020, 12:12:20 am
I thought bike night was over? I couldn't have gone anyway as an old friend was at my house picking up a handgun I sold to her......lots of people panicking so happy to get rid of a few.
On the subject of heated gear: My wife bought me Hotwire gloves las Christmas and I have not yet hooked them up........but will probably use them on the V Strom, my winter bike.....windscreen and deflector, Bark Busters to cut the wind, and the partial fairing and heat from the engine keep my legs warm. So was planning on buying the Hotwire jacket liner from Revzilla, $219, as the gloves will plug into the jacket sleeves and it keeps it simple and neat. I already have thinsulate insulated boots, which work pretty well. Figure I will be good down to perhaps 30 or 35 F.
9fingers

PS - Fixed the electric start on the Classic 500 so if it isn't too cold I will bring that one to bike night next Thursday. My wife will be away so I am a bachelor for the week!
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

retro-rex

• Scooter
Reply #68 on: November 01, 2020, 01:38:31 am
Scott, it's supposed to be sunny and 63 on Thursday. We'll see if that happens, but a couple of us might go up early-maybe 12:00 or 1:00. and stay till around 3:30 or so. It's not officially bike night but we'll see if we can stretch it out till the weather gets too cold. I'll pm you around Wednesday to let you know if we're gonna go.

John

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: November 01, 2020, 03:28:54 am
Let's call it "Bike Afternoon"....

Cookie

Scott, it's supposed to be sunny and 63 on Thursday. We'll see if that happens, but a couple of us might go up early-maybe 12:00 or 1:00. and stay till around 3:30 or so. It's not officially bike night but we'll see if we can stretch it out till the weather gets too cold. I'll pm you around Wednesday to let you know if we're gonna go.

John

Ove

• Grease Monkey
Reply #70 on: November 01, 2020, 07:43:36 am
Ove, did you wire direct to the battery on your 500? I've just bought a classic 500 and was worried about the power my Keis jacket would pull as it seems from other posts that the bike doesn't generate much power compared to say a Japanese bike. If your not finding any problems I think it's a green light for me to wire mine up.
Yes, attached the harness to the battery terminals. I checked and the jacket liner is 7amps, I've mostly used it at setting 3 of 5, 5 was too hot.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:53:46 am by Ove »

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: November 02, 2020, 01:32:06 am
Gerbing heated gear:

I ordered a jacket liner and glove kit on Friday...it was at my door today (Sunday) before noon!

Company is caller "The Warming Store"......great service!!!

I hooked up the harness to the bike's battery, pretty straight forward..although that RE battery is mounted pretty deep into the innards of the bike...

Ran the cables one way, then realized it was a stupid idea so I re-routed the cables, so the main connection is at the left side cover....so less cables hanging all over the place...

I started up the bike, and with the recommended 10 amp fuse in the circuit, everything seems to work just fine...

I could feel the gloves heating up...not the jacket...but I didn't give it more than two minutes...

Raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock...so no road test...

Looks like the whole kit is made in China....whatever...

The jacket liner:

Pretty basic, for the price...but its just a liner, so what?  size large fits me well EXCEPT, the sleeves are way too short....story of my life...I'm sort of long and lanky...so to get the chest size right, the arms are always too short..but for a liner it will do.

There are a lot of wires...a lot!  They give you a little pocket that the wires come out of, and I guess you store the excess in there...and the controller too....so too much shit in too little of a space...leaves a big lump...also the pocket is upside down, that is the pocket part goes up!   so you have to jam in all that wire and shit upward, fighting gravity....and the pocket is on the inside of the jacket....so you can't get to the controller easily....but I can live with that.

The gloves are nicely made...real leather...good grip...but again one issue....the index finger of the right glove is too short!!  my finger is jammed against the tip!  the left glove fits fine!  Chinese quality for you...

But to be honest...I must have 20 pairs of motorcycle gloves, and none fit me exactly...and more ski gloves and work gloves too...and my hands must be weird because none of them fit perfectly!

Also the gloves are very inflexible...but I expected that for a heated glove which has thick insulation.....

Being nice leather...I think they will "break in" and shape themselves over time...so I will stick with them...

I don't think exchanging them for the next larger size will work....and replacements may be made even more irregular!

I can't wait to go for a ride and test the kit!

Cookie

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #72 on: November 02, 2020, 02:47:21 am
Speaking of "rain like a cow pissing on a flat rock"......never heard that one before........Wes and I rode out 521/617 to Blairstown this morning and came back on a slight variation on the route, he on his Interceptor and me on my Classic 500. We stopped at Jumbo for a coffee.......bad move.........the rain noted above started coming down earlier than the weather channel had predicted. 46 degrees and soaked all the way through to my crotch.........not a lot of fun. Great ride though, at least up to that point. Think I will put the rain pants on BEFORE it starts to rain next time. I live only 20 minutes from Jumbo and I figured it was not worth the trouble. If i can make it Thursday I will join you guys, but I may have to install some of my product that day.....up to the client.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350